[Fanbyte] Ghost of Tsushima Was Key to Releasing Like A Dragon: Ishin in the West

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
All you Yakuza fans should thank Sony/Suckerpunch :ufdup:

First they got ubisoft to finally make a japanese ass creed game, then they get japanese developers to start making their own shyt again.

In an interview with Masayoshi Yokoyama, the RGG Studio chief and Executive Producer told Fanbyte that there were a number of factors involved with finally bringing the game to the west. One surprising key, however, was the 2020 open-world samurai title Ghost of Tsushimafrom PlayStation studio Sucker Punch.

"We saw how well Ghost of Tsushima did, and how it was about this very Japanese setting made by Americans, so that gave us confidence Ishincould do well in America too," Yokoyama said.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
They're full of it :mjlol: . They really thought that a game with a very Japanese setting would do well? It would have done as well as any of the games in the series. I'm looking forward to it, but I hope they're not expecting this to set the gaming world on fire. Because Ghost of Tsushima, and the Like a Dragon games, are two totally different experiences.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They're full of it :mjlol: . They really thought that a game with a very Japanese setting would do well? It would have done as well as any of the games in the series. I'm looking forward to it, but I hope they're not expecting this to set the gaming world on fire. Because Ghost of Tsushima, and the Like a Dragon games, are two totally different experiences.

I think when it came out japanese setting games weren’t doing so hot, like 2008, and a lot of japanese publishers stopped really making a lot of ninja/samurai games or porting them to the west after a while.

Once Tsushima lit the streets up a light bulb went off in their heads. But also, Tsushima was just a really well done game. People were craving a more grounded samurai experience outside of stuff like this or Onimusha.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I think when it came out japanese setting games weren’t doing so hot, like 2008, and a lot of japanese publishers stopped really making a lot of ninja/samurai games or porting them to the west after a while.

Once Tsushima lit the streets up a light bulb went off in their heads. But also, Tsushima was just a really well done game. People were craving a more grounded samurai experience outside of stuff like this or Onimusha.

I think it has more to do with what gamers in the west want. Which is a more grounded experience in general. Even if it's fantastical. Look at God of War and The Witcher 3. I'm also not talking about all Japanese developers here. Look at Elden Ring. I think some developers have a better grasp on what everyone wants, and some others, well there's a Japanese way of doing things that isn't going to click with everyone. And I definitely think that's true for Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio games.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think it has more to do with what gamers in the west want. Which is a more grounded experience in general. Even if it's fantastical. Look at God of War and The Witcher 3. I'm also not talking about all Japanese developers here. Look at Elden Ring. I think some developers have a better grasp on what everyone wants, and some others, well there's a Japanese way of doing things that isn't going to click with everyone. And I definitely think that's true for Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio games.

Im glad japan is not the center of the gaming universe anymore. That ‘WAIFU KAAWAIIII =^ω^=‘ stuff is not for me anymore. Their taste and what they like in gaming and media is extremely counter to things i enjoy as a grown black man. The whole teen centered, idol culture in japan is weird

The japanese studios i like are more western oriented, the kind of studios that aren’t scared to put black people as even NPC’s in their games. Thats why the Yakuza games started getting more popular lately because they started blowing up in the west. Japanese people as a whole don’t want to play as older characters, or mature rated yakuza type stuff.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Im glad japan is not the center of the gaming universe anymore. That ‘WAIFU KAAWAIIII =^ω^=‘ stuff is not for me anymore. Their taste and what they like in gaming and media is extremely counter to things i enjoy as a grown black man. The whole teen centered, idol culture in japan is weird

The japanese studios i like are more western oriented, the kind of studios that aren’t scared to put black people as even NPC’s in their games. Thats why the Yakuza games started getting more popular lately because they started blowing up in the west. Japanese people as a whole don’t want to play as older characters, or mature rated yakuza type stuff.

I think as a whole they don't like mature rated anything. Something like Cyberpunk 2077 isn't coming from Japan. Red Dead Redemption 2 isn't coming out of Japan. PlayStation's biggest games are coming from their studios in the west. I'll always say that The Witcher 3 is the modern Castlevania game that Konami should have made. Japan's western oriented developers received the memo. Capcom sure as hell did with Resident Evil 7 and 8. None of that super hero boulder punching bullshyt.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think as a whole they don't like mature rated anything. Something like Cyberpunk 2077 isn't coming from Japan. Red Dead Redemption 2 isn't coming out of Japan. PlayStation's biggest games are coming from their studios in the west. I'll always say that The Witcher 3 is the modern Castlevania game that Konami should have made. Japan's western oriented developers received the memo. Capcom sure as hell did with Resident Evil 7 and 8. None of that super hero boulder punching bullshyt.

Yeah, basically the publishers that still want to make AAA console games have to adapt to the western markets more, like Kojima did 30 years ago lol

Even though Kojimas games are still very japanese

Flexington

All Star
Daps
I miss The Way of the Samurai series

Actually I take it back, it started getting to wonky after 3 and I don't want them to come ride the samurai wave into mediocrity.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Yeah, basically the publishers that still want to make AAA console games have to adapt to the western markets more, like Kojima did 30 years ago lol

Even though Kojimas games are still very japanese

His games are very Japanese, but I think he's also very plugged into the world and what's happening. He's not in a bubble.