Fallout over Juneteenth Flag Colors: Twitter Thread

invalid

Banned
Daps
The red, white and blue represents the American flag, a reminder that slaves and their descendants were and are Americans.
June 19, 1865, represents the day that enslaved Black people in Galveston, Texas, became Americans under the law.

Honestly, why even create a new flag? You might as well fly the Stars and Stripes.

And then to borrow the star from the Texas state flag? That’s just as bad as Garvey saying the green represents the Irish. It was under that star that they remained enslaved after the emancipation proclamation.

The other flag you might see today is red, black, and green​

Historically, the flag most commonly waved on Juneteenth is the red, black, and green Pan-African flag, according to Oprah Daily. The flag was created in 1920 to represent Africans around the world, according to NPR.

Both flags are symbols of "pride and freedom" for Black Americans, but serve different purposes. Tim Goler, research director at the Center for African American Public Policy, told USA TODAY he appreciates that the Juneteenth flag emphasizes people descended from enslaved people are Americans. But he believes "the Pan-African Flag really is the most appropriate flag for Juneteenth" because there is still deep-seated inequities in the US.

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly, why even create a new flag? You might as well fly the Stars and Stripes.

And then to borrow the star from the Texas state flag? That’s just as bad as Garvey saying the green represents the Irish. It was under that star that they remained enslaved after the emancipation proclamation.

The flag also honor those black union soldiers that fought for their freedom and their family freedom.

Take that goofy fake Militant shyt elsewhere.

invalid

Banned
Daps
The flag also honor those black union soldiers that fought for their freedom and their family freedom.

Take that goofy fake Militant shyt elsewhere.

Now you’re just making shyt up.

I’m not flying a flag that has a Texas fukking star on it. You might as well fly a Confederate flag, from which that star comes from being one of the original Confederate states.

The original version of the flag featured a circle of seven white stars in the navy blue canton, representing the seven states of the South that originally composed the Confederacy: South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas.

Original Confederate Flag:

1200px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861%E2%80%931863%29.svg.png

Texas State Flag:

flags-Texas-independence-motif-flag-Mexico-star-1845.jpg

That Texas Star don’t represent my people, don’t represent black Americans. 95% of black Americans have no ties to Texas. And 99% of us were freed at the emancipation proclamation.

Juneteenth should have been made a Texas state holiday not a National holiday as it holds no meaning for majority of us that are slave descendants except for those that reside in Texas.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
:patrice: The thought just occurred earlier that all that fukkery was to raise the profile of that flag... which would've been fine in a 'Did you know?' manner but the approach across twitter was condescending and self righteous. That's been the trend over the past few years if we're being real. The patriotically woke has a habit of antagonizing Pan Africanists for one reason or another regularly-- and at the end of the day it doesn't amount to much anything but engagements and eyeballs and I think that's all they want.

I'm surprised that flag was even okay with them. The Black American Heritage flag spread organically (it's that damn fire) and a lot of the people kicking off this debate were in the same condescending/self righteous tone and tried to tell people that 'our flag is the American flag'. As far as I can tell we're really not "supposed" to have much agency outside of confines that America as laid out for us in their minds.

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
Juneteenth HAS a flag.

That's kinda the weird part. There's no Easter flag. No Halloween flag.

Flags are usually reserved for geographic areas like nations or states.

I know the LGBTQWERTY have a flag so perhaps even a flag to represent a group of people.

So is Juneteenth flag supposed to represent Black people as a group? Cause we need to go back to the lab and I need a vote.

Cause honestly I wouldn't choose red white and blue
We’ll both those holidays are based on things that didn’t exist and are just made up:yeshrug:

Henri Christophe

Son Of Afrika
Daps
Reppin
NYC / Royaume d'Haïti
The patriotically woke has a habit of antagonizing Pan Africanists for one reason or another regularly

Antagonize them back.

Meet them at the exact same level of hostility.

Enough with the humble pan-africanism.

Its time to get gangsta with the Pan-Africanism.

Enemies of Pan-Africanism are enemies of the black race & the enemies of our ancestors.

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman

Are we allowed to have anything for ourselves to commemorate Freedman history?
Damn. And no it has nothing to do with no Pan-African shyt. I wish people would stop trying to mix that shyt in everything Freedman/NBA do.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Antagonize them back.

Meet them at the exact same level of hostility.

Enough with the humble pan-africanism.

Its time to get gangsta with the Pan-Africanism.
That's the whole point, I'm peeping the game. They want the back and forth to raise their profile. They need us, we don't need them.
Notice how the guy tweeting in the OP took it to a livestream.
He's not wrong.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We talked about family and relationships on Juneteenth. Shyt was dope. Had the red black and green flag up too. Imagine all that positive energy flowing and a "intellectual" coming in talking about colors.

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I’m not flying a flag that has a Texas fukking star on it. You might as well fly a Confederate flag, from which that star comes from being one of the original Confederate states.

1200px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861%E2%80%931863%29.svg.png

Texas State Flag:

That Texas Star don’t represent my people, don’t represent black Americans. 95% of black Americans have no ties to Texas. And 99% of us were freed at the emancipation proclamation.

Juneteenth should have been made a Texas state holiday not a National holiday as it holds no meaning for majority of us that are slave descendants except for those that reside in Texas.

The Texas Flag was created in 1839 you stupid fukk. :what:

Way before the Confederate became a thing dumbass.

This is the goofy Fake Militant babble that has ruin this message board I swear. :why:

Best Oswald Bates GIFs | Gfycat

I bet you're not even FBA in the first place. :heh:

Last edited:

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
I'm was born and raised in Texas. I'm also a descendant of the people that were freed on June 19, 1865 and I have never seen the RBG flag present at a Juneteenth celebration until recently.
Growing up in Texas and being to many cookouts, parades, etc., I never seen the RBG flag either. But the BA heritage flag. Loved the flag and the history of it the moment I found out about it a few years ago.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether

Texas State Flag:

Thats what I been saying. No disrespect to it but doesn't seem to cover everyone.

I'm not against it per se, but what about the actual official end? Seems like that's primary then there's these other offshoots

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
That's the whole point, I'm peeping the game. They want the back and forth to raise their profile. They need us, we don't need them.
Notice how the guy tweeting in the OP took it to a livestream.

That channel has been talking about their issues with Pan Africanism and Garvey and his impact on Freedmen politics for a while now.

also the Calloway types claiming indigenous