Fact: the first rappers wasnt from da Bronx... they was Pimps down south

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
As far as the origin of knowing about the "break" part of the record

9BlCdO8.png

Yes, the Disco Dj's were aware of the break and some of them stuck to the break part. The main difference between what most of the Disco DJ's did and what Herc/later hiphop dj's did was that the HipHop DJ's stuck to the break and looped it over and over whereas the Disco DJ might tease with the break for a bit but still play the rest of the record.

On Herc dj'ing style. At his early jams he attempted to play many things, Reggae included but the crowd didn't like it. At this point, early on, the crowd was basically all black (black american and West Indians) because Puerto Ricans hadn't caught on yet. They wanted to hear Funk music so that's what he played. He was playing the entire song on one turtable at this point. As time went by Herc realized that the crowd would get really hyped during the "break" (basically the part when the music kinda drops out and all you hear in the drummer or the bass) parts of the Funk songs which lead him to only playing the break parts of the songs. He did this in by borrowing the Disco technique of 2 turntables to play 2 records so he could string breaks together. His technique was crude and not up to par with Disco style djing but he called it the "Merry Go Round".

I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here too so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle

All of those breaks were first played by Disco DJ's as a regular part of their set's. Disco dj's were the first ones that focused on the break part(s) of the record

this was one of the reason disco dj's would have 2 copies of the same record for manipulation

xbdjsYp.jpg

it's what pete dj jones is describing that all the disco dj's knew as the "jump part"

it's a lie that herc was the first one to discover the "break". Disco djs were doing that going back to the late 60's with multi-turntable setups, as Nicky Siano explains below

Flash himself say's that Pete Dj Jones (a so called disco dj.....and as i stated before, the disco dj's layed the prototype for the hiphop quick mix style) was playing breaks with seamless mixing (looping)

8yq5yqZ.jpg

yulNiKR.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
repost from another thread (pigmeat and mabley were both from north carolina)

with mom's mabley(she's flowing too lol) in 1958 doing that 6 in the Mornin/PSK/Boyz In The Hood cadence

vs

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
another repost

this is blueprint to hiphop but 40 year earlier. Notice how the music drops out, to only a drum beat?

1930's jazz song...bars:ehh:

Counter Racist Male

Retired poster and occasional lurker
Daps
Reppin
MYSELF
bugs please take your medication... :shaq2:

"thier would be no HIP HOP without JAMAICAN MUSIC CULTURE!"

Jamaican Deejays would Toast (rap) on the mic while the selector (turntabilist) would spin a dub riddem (instrumental track) matter of fact Kool Herc had a crew of mic men (m.c's) whom were referred to themselves as TOASTERS......which was basically the root of the chants and poetic slogans i.e (say hoe....everybody scream!) that would lead to modern day rapping in the MC style...

Rub-a-Dub_Style-front-cover.jpg

and keep in mind...all this was taking place in Jamaica , 20 years prior to what Rudy Ray Moore was doing in those blackexploitation flicks and stageshows.....men like Count Matchuki , Lord Comic, Dennis Alcapone, U Roy, Jah Stitch aka Uglyman were toasting or as the yankees say RAPPING along to vinyl being spun..that my friend is the DIRECT LINK and BIRTH OF HIP HOP.

Toasting was something blacks in the south would do years before Jamaican immigration.

Counter Racist Male

Retired poster and occasional lurker
Daps
Reppin
MYSELF
bugs please take your medication... :shaq2:

"thier would be no HIP HOP without JAMAICAN MUSIC CULTURE!"

Jamaican Deejays would Toast (rap) on the mic while the selector (turntabilist) would spin a dub riddem (instrumental track) matter of fact Kool Herc had a crew of mic men (m.c's) whom were referred to themselves as TOASTERS......which was basically the root of the chants and poetic slogans i.e (say hoe....everybody scream!) that would lead to modern day rapping in the MC style...

Rub-a-Dub_Style-front-cover.jpg

and keep in mind...all this was taking place in Jamaica , 20 years prior to what Rudy Ray Moore was doing in those blackexploitation flicks and stageshows.....men like Count Matchuki , Lord Comic, Dennis Alcapone, U Roy, Jah Stitch aka Uglyman were toasting or as the yankees say RAPPING along to vinyl being spun..that my friend is the DIRECT LINK and BIRTH OF HIP HOP.

This is such a half true that its not even funny.