Experts Advice: Help me get in shape Please!

Daystew

Legion of Boom
Daps
Reppin
Lexington, KY
brehs,
I'm about 6'2" 258lbs right now. Really overweight. I used to be 175 until grad school in 2012, then I stopped being active and ate terribly and drank too much. Now it's March '16 and I'm trying to get to 200 by July. My workouts are 6 days a week and look similar to this:
Mon/Thurs- Chest/shoulders/45 min walk
Tues/Fri- legs and back/ Rowing or step machine
Wed/Sat- bicep/tricep/ cardio

I just turned 28. Im planning to propose on vacation in July (hence trying to slim down by then). I'm doing mostly 4x8 (and 5x5 lifts for bench and leg press). Should I be lifting more or less or more cardio? I'm also using a thermogenic, protein, and creatine for daily supplements. Any advice? Cutting out alcohol has been huge as I attribute most my :flabbynsick: to that over the past 3 years.

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
+ Cardio (HIIT would benefit you more)
+ Count calories
+ Calculate and maintain macros

I would personally recommend to try doing more Cardio. More Cardio = more burned calories.

And try walking/biking to your destination more if you can.

fukk dieting.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Yea, forget all this talk about don't eat this, don't drink this.

I agree with downloading MyFitnessPal and tracking calories. You lose weight by being in an adequate caloric deficit.

It's going to suck you are going to be hungry. If you've fully accepted that, figure out your daily caloric intake (I'd guess 2200-2400) and consistently stick to consuming that amount of calories.

Adjust your intake if you feel the weight isn't coming off fast enough but you know...physics come into play.

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Yea, forget all this talk about don't eat this, don't drink this.

I agree with downloading MyFitnessPal and tracking calories. You lose weight by being in an adequate caloric deficit.

It's going to suck you are going to be hungry. If you've fully accepted that, figure out your daily caloric intake (I'd guess 2200-2400) and consistently stick to consuming that amount of calories.

Adjust your intake if you feel the weight isn't coming off fast enough but you know...physics come into play.

So you think continuing to drink sodas and juices is a good idea?:jbhmm:

Daystew

Legion of Boom
Daps
Reppin
Lexington, KY
I've changed diet. Cut out unhealthy carbs, more protein. I used to eat every night after 11 and wash down with soda or a beer before bed. It became such a routine. On days I don't lift I'm going on 4-5 mile walks right now.

Hard to run consistently at this weight. (To think, I used to be a long distance runner in track...)

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Not an expert by any means but 60 pounds in 15 weeks is pretty aggressive. The questions I usually ask is "What's most important? The number on the scale or how you look/feel?". Depending on that answer it tends to lead you to the best method.

Good luck either way.

Last edited:

Daystew

Legion of Boom
Daps
Reppin
Lexington, KY
Not an expert by any means by 60 pounds in 15 weeks is pretty aggressive. The questions I usaully ask is "What's most important? The number on the scale or how you look/feel?". Depending on that answer it tends to lead you to the best method.

Good luck either way.
You're right. It's less about scale and more about feeling good. I honestly wouldn't care if I were 200+ as long as I felt good and didn't look so out of shape.

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Everything is fine in moderation. 1 cup of soda/juice is fine if you contain you contain yourself to just 1 and also if it still fits within your caloric goal

But OP is trying to lose a large amount of weight in a short amount of time.:francis: Normally I'd be inclined to agree but this is a special scenario
Think how many calories you're wasting by drinking a 200 kcal soda that you could be using for protein of fiber at that low of a calorie intake:manny:

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
You're right. It's less about scale and more about feeling good. I honestly wouldn't care if I were 200+ as long as I felt good and didn't look so out of shape.

Personally I don't like doing body splits but I wouldn't tell you it's the wrong method. I favor the 5x5 and 4x8 rep ranges. Like @HHR mentioned the diet being dialed in is the most important part.

Sounds like traning wise you have a good starting point. I would look into turning up intensity cardio wise after the 10 weeks.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Also, as far as cardio goes, HIIT (Interval training) >>> long treadmill sessions. More effective and easier to fit into a schedule. Just do it after you lift.

And if all that means is walking at an incline, that's fine. Only thing that matters is getting the heart rate up for 30-45 second splits.