everyday i wake up and am reminded what a scam college is

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
RIP to the 60 grand i blew on this bullshyt

my heart flourishes with joy when i read posts like this. welcome to the land of the wise, my friend.

i'm not knocking college at all. going to college and attaining at least a bachelors degree is important. where u go to college is NOT...unless your in a life saving field i.e. Medical, Law, etc, even then, find the cheapest damn college u can find as long as its not some online bs school like the univeristy of phoenix or Everest or any of those nonsense.

Sharp

Let That Hoe Go
Daps
Nowadays college is more so debt than an investment. Kids get out of college and the job opportunities are almost nonexistent unless you know somebody or have work experience.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
It's not a scam. It's a tough job market right now and you have to look beyond that right now.
When I graduated, the job market was bad too. Job options I was looking at were 7-Eleven assistant manager and all other positions were out of reach because I didn't graduate with a 3.0 GPA or higher. That sucked. I moved home with my parents and worked at the local mall with a part-time minimum wage job. It sucked and I knew some fellow students who went to get an MBA because the job market was that bad. It took over a year before I got a real job. It paid a little better than minimum wage, but it was enough so I could live on my own and it was a stepping stone to move up.
Happy ending? Kind of, but no. About two years later, I got laid off. I ended up going back to college because a lot of job listings I saw were in IT/computers and nothing in my field. Most of my savings I made were getting drained for two years while I went back to school. I was dumb and materialistic and bought a used BMW about a year before the bottom dropped.
Job-wise, my degree has paid off since it allowed me to apply for jobs that I wouldn't have been able to apply for. I don't know what your major is. All I can say is keep your options open to moving to a different location.

TYBG

Ditty Dum Ditty Doo
Supporter
Daps
Stop majoring in bs majors like sociology and basket weaving:pachaha:

Most folks don't know how to utilize the resources colleges give them. Make college work for you. Use the career center, join clubs related to your major, network, aim for a 3.5 GPA, look in to REU programs, build a relationship with your distinguished professor.

These professors in the long run can you help you get into a better graduate program (letter of recommendation) or hook you up with a job. Also, I want to add that most folks pull out unnecessary loans. It's ok to splurge every now and then but spending the loan money on kicks, jewelry, and eating out EVERYDAY is hustling backwards:childplease:

On the other hand, college books is definitely a scam. Buy 200 dollar book, try to sell it next semester, new edition comes out:what:

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
the college degree has been devalued because so many people have them. Unless you are going to get a degree in a specialized field that requires a certain level of education it is kind of a waste of time. a lotta people said "i want a degree in business/communications/history" without realizing that they put a ton of money and time into a degree that is gonna be useless to them in the future.

People with PHDs are applying for jobs that they could have gotten with a high school diploma, but they aren't even getting those jobs cause the people with high school educations have more work experience.

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
my heart flourishes with joy when i read posts like this. welcome to the land of the wise, my friend.

i'm not knocking college at all. going to college and attaining at least a bachelors degree is important. where u go to college is NOT...unless your in a life saving field i.e. Medical, Law, etc, even then, find the cheapest damn college u can find as long as its not some online bs school like the univeristy of phoenix or Everest or any of those nonsense.

What's interesting is that the big name university doesn't really matter that much. I'm in law school now, and they really don't care as much as you would think if you went to Harvard or Stanford or anything like that. As long as your core numbers are what they want (GPA and LSAT score), and as long as it isn't some horrible school, you're pretty much good. It does provide a little boost if they are deciding between two students with similar numbers, but that's about it.