Ever heard of Father Divine? (leader of the 1930s. (close w/ Jim Jones Elijah & Farad Muhammad

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
(he still has followers and they act like he is still alive they live on 73 acres in a palatial mansion Black and white followers)

*The religion believes in strict abstinence
So the majority of the followers are really old and most are virgins

Father Divine taught that they would live forever so there was no need to procreate

Although the member see that other members have passed
They act as though the members are still alive

Father Divine owned the 1st integrated hotel in Philadelphia

The church went to the Library of Congress to get Father Divine's govt identity removed because he claimed that he was always Father Divine and never the identity that was before that.

Father Divine - Wikipedia

Father Divine, also known as Reverend M. J. Divine, was an African-American spiritual leader from about 1907, until his death. His full self-given name was Reverend Major Jealous Divine, and he was also known as "the Messenger" early in his life. Wikipedia

Born: 1877, Hutchinson Island, GA

Died: September 10, 1965, Philadelphia, PA
Nationality: American

Spouse: Edna Rose Ritchings (m. 1946–1965), Penninah Divine (m. ?–1943)

Organization founded: International Peace Mission movement

Father Divine (c. 1876 – September 10, 1965), also known as Reverend M. J. Divine, was an African-American spiritual leader[2] from about 1907, until his death. His full self-given name was Reverend Major Jealous Divine, and he was also known as "the Messenger" early in his life. He founded the International Peace Mission movement, formulated its doctrine, and oversaw its growth from a small and predominantly black congregation into a multiracial and international church. Due to his ideology, many consider him to be a cult leader.

Father Divine claimed to be God.[3] He made numerous contributions toward his followers' economic independence and racial equality. He was a contemporary of other religious leaders such as Daddy Grace, Charles Harrison Mason, Noble Drew Ali, James F. Jones (also known as Prophet Jones), Wallace Fard Muhammad, Elijah Muhammad and Jim Jones

Last edited:

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
:snooze:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-20-at-3.45.36-PM.png

Sonic Boom of the South

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Little is known about Father Divine's early life, or even his real given name. Father Divine and the Peace Movement he started did not keep many records. Father Divine himself declined several offers to write his biography, saying that “the history of God would not be useful in mortal terms”. He also refused to acknowledge relationship to any family. Newspapers in the 1930s had to dig up his probable given name: George Baker. (This name is not recognized by the Library of Congress, and from 1979, there is no further use of that name as a heading for Father Divine in libraries' catalogs.)[4] Federal Bureau of Investigation files record his name as George Baker alias "God".[5]:224 In 1936 Eliza Mayfield claimed to be Father Divine's mother. She stated that his real name was Frederick Edwards from Hendersonville, North Carolina, and he had abandoned a wife and five children, although Mayfield offered no proof and claimed to not remember his father's name. (Father Divine replied that "God has no Mother.")[3]

Father Divine's childhood remains a contentious point. Some, especially earlier researchers, suppose that he was born in the Deep South, most likely in Georgia, as the son of sharecroppers. Newer research by Jill Watts, based on census data, finds evidence for a George Baker Jr. of appropriate age born in an African-American enclave of Rockville, Maryland, called Monkey Run. If this theory is correct, his mother was a former slave named Nancy Baker, who died in May 1897. Most researchers agree that Father Divine's parents were freed African-American slaves. Notoriously poor records were kept about this generation of African Americans, so controversy about his upbringing is not likely to be resolved. On the other hand, he and his first wife, Peninniah (variant spellings: Penninah, Peninnah, Penniah) claimed that they were married on June 6, 1882.[6][7][8]

Father Divine was probably called George Baker around the turn of the century. He worked as a gardener in Baltimore, Maryland. In a 1906 sojourn in California, Father Divine became acquainted with the ideas of Charles Fillmore and the New Thought Movement, a philosophy of positive thinking that would inform his later doctrines. Among other things, this belief system asserted that negative thoughts led to poverty and unhappiness. Songwriter Johnny Mercer credited a Father Divine sermon for inspiring the title of his song "Accentuate the Positive".[9][10]

Father Divine attended a local Baptist Church, often preaching, until 1907, when a traveling preacher called Samuel Morris spoke and was expelled from the congregation. Morris, originally from Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, had a soft-spoken and uncontroversial sermon until the end, when he raised his arms and shouted, "I am the Eternal Father!" This routine had him thrown out of many churches in Baltimore, and was apparently unsuccessful until Morris happened upon the receptive Father Divine.

In his late 20s, Father Divine became Morris's first follower and adopted a pseudonym, "The Messenger". The Messenger was a Christ figure to Morris's God the Father. Father Divine preached with Morris in Baltimore out of the home of former evangelist Harriette Snowden, who came to accept their divinity. Morris began calling himself "Father Jehovia."

Divine and Father Jehovia were later joined by John A. Hickerson, who called himself Reverend Bishop Saint John the Vine. John the Vine shared the Messenger's excellent speaking ability and his interest in New Thought.

In 1912, the three-man ministry collapsed, as John the Vine denied Father Jehovia's monopoly on godhood, citing 1 John 4:15 to mean God was in everyone:

"Whoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwells in him and he in God."
Father Divine had finally parted ways with his former associates. Denying that Father Jehovia was God, and saying that not everyone could be God, he declared that he himself was God, and the only true expression of God's spirit.

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
Bruh, there were so many scary ass preachers back then. This nikka who I’m sure was a vampire:merchant: is named sweet daddy grace. He created the still very powerful United house of prayer for all people
marcelino-manuel-da-graca-d12a3db7-e133-4994-96b2-72cd7342dac-resize-750.jpeg

daddy-grace-in-harlem-final-slider-1.jpg

5648469b0013ba9137e04195979a0633.jpg

I would love to watch a horror movie about him

Last edited:

Sonic Boom of the South

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bruh it was so many scary ass preachers back then. This nikka who I’m sure was a vampire:merchant: is named sweet daddy grace. He created the still very powerful United house of prayer for all people

When members of Father Divine flock died

They just let the bodies rot
Because they believe u can't die

So they renounced anyone who did die and acted like they never existed

Or said that the reason they did die was because they sinned

:francis:

Father Divine was also having sex with women although he claimed to be abstinent

invalid

Banned
Daps
Bruh it was so many scary ass preachers back then. This nikka who I’m sure was a vampire:merchant: is named sweet daddy grace. He created the still very powerful United house of prayer for all people

:mjlol:

My family from Georgia/SC followed Sweet Daddy Grace. There is a funny story I've told on here before about my grandfather taking my mom and her siblings down to visit family in Augusta. They go to the UHOP one Sunday because growing up, he loved to hear the brass bands. While in church, everybody start singing what was a gospel song, can't remember which one, but the words for "Jesus" was changed to "Sweet Daddy". My mother, who was little at the time, start singing along. My grandfather start noticing her singing "sweeeet daddy". And he said that was it for him... he told them that he'll be damned, the only nikka they gone call "daddy" is him. He rounded them all up and left, never to step back in a UHOP again.

Our cousins who are still in the UHOP are the nicest people in the world. It hurts our heart knowing they in a cult.:mjcry:
But you can't tell them shyt about the UHOP.

Daddy Grace was scary as shyt. He had that perm, wore long ass nails, was draped in a cape most of the times, but that nikka was always driving around in slick ass cadillacs.

Today, the UHOP is known for their lunches that they sell. If you're in DC, go to a local UHOP for lunch. They sell soul food dinners. shyt be flames. :wow:

Best lunch you can get in DC.