Ever establish a real friendship through online gaming?

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Yeah, Kode from here actually. He moved to my home state some time either just before or just after I left, tho I didn't know him at that time, but we played many fighting games and other games together for years and talked/chatted plenty of times off the boards/games, either via g-chat/hangouts or phone/text. When I went home to visit last, a couple years back, we met up and played some offline Marvel, Dragon's Crown and a few other games he had on pc. He's actually helped me out a bit with schooling and career advice as well. Crazy coincidence, we both had our first kid within 1 month from each other, so while our wives were pregnant, we sent each other baby shower gifts and kept each other updated on the whole progress and gave each other heads up the day our kids were born, replete with baby photos. Despite very rarely gaming with each other now (he bout retired from fighters and we generally playing totally different games at different times now), we speak at least a few days out a week about pretty much whatever (family, work, games, music, tv/movies, etc.) We used to be chat daily when I worked my old job, but now my schedule got everything fukked up. Funny enough, I'm chatting with him at this very moment, lol. Looking back, it's been nearly 10 years since I first gamed with him and talked with him on the boards here (well, sohh, but ya know). I definitely consider him legit homie now.

Another cat, not currently on here, but from the sohh days, I met in person thru shared gaming and anime back in the day that I chilled with in person a few times at his crib. He actually introduced me to my wife. There's been a small handful of other cats on here that I would consider being IRL friends with like that if we lived closer and whatnot.
Wow.
That's amazing.

Good shyt.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
one dude me and my peeps met through xbox. later we would play on PC too. he locked up now though. shyt bums me out when I see his name on my friends list, and it says he ain't been online for more than a year :francis:

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, pretty crazy actually.

Used to be heavy into MLG Halo, and when I was on those forums I used to hit up the Hip-Hop thread and chop game with the other people who fukked with rap. We put each other on to so much stuff. Eventually started blogging with some of them, and just keeping up with each other through various social media forms(FB, Skype, Twitter, IG, Snap, iMessage). One of the dudes lives out in Cali and when I went out to Cali on vacay, I hit bro up and we chopped it up for a bit before he had to head to work. He met some of my real life friends who I was a groomsmen in a wedding for and all since we all took the trip together. Still a homie to this day, and we still fukk with a lot of the other people from that hip-hop thread. He always tries to push me to rap cause he heard some of the shyt I was making when I came out of High School. He's a Panthers fan so he def lost money when my Broncos beat that ass in the Superbowl.

Also via MLG forums, I was heavy into Rainbow Six. I heard they had a lil MLG scene and jumped into the forums head first tryna up my game and see what it was about. Ended up meeting this dude around my age from Maryland and we would run together and put each other onto a bunch of rap and shyt(we're about 16-17ish and we really just enjoyed hearing dope new shyt). Bro constantly just networking and setting up pick-up scrimmages. We would always just chop game and talk shyt and whatnot. He went off to school and shyt and tho we never met IRL, we still constantly send each other jokes and shyt every once in a while and just connect to make sure nikkas is straight.

Lastly, while playing RSV2 I ran into this group of 3 people...2 brehs and a brehette. They were dope players and just liked to play the game competitively. It was great cause I had only one other teammate at the time, so obviously we need two great players. nikkas form up like Voltron and we play gamebattles and shyt like that. Eventually my first teammate kinda falls off the game leaving me with the two brehs and a brehette. We still keep trucking along and playing. As time goes on, the game itself just ends up falling off and we all just kinda migrated from game to game. Halo, CoD, Gears, Shadowrun, 2k, NHL, whatever. Even if we were just playing single player games we'd just be in party chats talking shyt. The previously mentioned Maryland breh would be in the chats too and some of his IRL friends would pop in and talk shyt/run games of CoD or Gears with us. We all exchanged FB's and Twitters and shyt. Eventually one of the two initial brehs and the chick started a long-distance relationship. Then he moves out to live with her and shyt. To keep it short...we all somehow migrated to PC during the X1/Ps4 launches and kept gaming together. Breh that was dating the chick eventually proposes to her, and then they invite the other breh that was there since day 0 and myself to be groomsmen in the wedding. The Maryland homie from above even reached out and sent congrats their way, and a couple of his IRL friends that gamed with us made it out to the wedding as well(one was also a groomsmen cause he stuck around the most). Was pretty wild that after gaming with these people for nearly 10 years, I could shake hands and look them dead in the eye and talk kinds of shyt to them. Things were weird for like the first....15 minutes, but I eventually kinda broke everybody out of that shell by just kinda resuming the usual dynamic that'd been established online. Was a dope small wedding, and the people are all good peoples. Never going to Utah again tho, fukk that place they gotta move somewhere better. :hhh:

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
Yeah my one guy name Justin from Bel air Maryland we been playing together since 02 on Xbox live. I kind of fell back around 08 and had a kid he emailed me like yo how is everything n I told him I had a baby etc... then like a year later one of our homies online told me he got killed drunk driving. Sad shyt that was my homie.

1970s HeRon Flow

Takin Penitentiary Chances
Daps
Reppin
Down Slauson Ave
Also this is a BIG reason why I've stayed with Xbox, I could care less about their sales, could care less about what ever single player weebo exclusive PS4 just released, none of it is able to beat being able to hope on the newest online game and wreck shyt with the same squad after all these years

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Yeah, Kode from here actually. He moved to my home state some time either just before or just after I left, tho I didn't know him at that time, but we played many fighting games and other games together for years and talked/chatted plenty of times off the boards/games, either via g-chat/hangouts or phone/text. When I went home to visit last, a couple years back, we met up and played some offline Marvel, Dragon's Crown and a few other games he had on pc. He's actually helped me out a bit with schooling and career advice as well. Crazy coincidence, we both had our first kid within 1 month from each other, so while our wives were pregnant, we sent each other baby shower gifts and kept each other updated on the whole progress and gave each other heads up the day our kids were born, replete with baby photos. Despite very rarely gaming with each other now (he bout retired from fighters and we generally playing totally different games at different times now), we speak at least a few days out a week about pretty much whatever (family, work, games, music, tv/movies, etc.) We used to be chat daily when I worked my old job, but now my schedule got everything fukked up. Funny enough, I'm chatting with him at this very moment, lol. Looking back, it's been nearly 10 years since I first gamed with him and talked with him on the boards here (well, sohh, but ya know). I definitely consider him legit homie now.

Another cat, not currently on here, but from the sohh days, I met in person thru shared gaming and anime back in the day that I chilled with in person a few times at his crib. He actually introduced me to my wife. There's been a small handful of other cats on here that I would consider being IRL friends with like that if we lived closer and whatnot.

Tell Kode whutup. He needs to rejoin the fukkery. :pachaha:

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Definitely. A lot came from an MMO (City of Heroes), I used to tank like a mad man, for about 6 hours straight when I had the time. So on my server, I was always shouting on general chat if anybody needed a tank for some PLing or simply to complete raids. Eventually it led to people emailing me, and we would shoot the shyt online.

Met a married couple, went to their wedding (that was awesome), made some Wu Tang fans in Jersey through PSO, etc. Online has been great for meet ups. Plus its a nice change from bars, nightclubs, etc.