Enter this thread DC folks need help with something

Fmju

Fixture
Daps
Reppin
PG
sweet/sweet for it -

for a person it mean they a sucker - That nikka sweet

Or for like a place - can we smoke round there? yeah its sweet over there. feds don't really be round there.

EDIT: Bent (mainly used by bytches, and kinda old) -

Used like, You got me bent = You got me fukked up.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Rollin' = a girl who's a who

I used most of this slang at work once and most of the people are like :dwillhuh: .. It's fun to explain the slang to these out of towners and get them hip.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Continuing my research, seems like the most crime ridden part is the Southeast. Weird to have a city based in quadrants, every street ends in SE, NW, etc. never seen that before.

Some streets crime related I keep seeing are, 14th, Buena Vista, Valley, Anacostia, etc. The crime is average or worse?

Another question, aside from whites and blacks, what other ethnicity stands out? Latinos? Asians? Arabs? etc

Much appreciated

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Continuing my research, seems like the most crime ridden part is the Southeast. Weird to have a city based in quadrants, every street ends in SE, NW, etc. never seen that before.

Some streets crime related I keep seeing are, 14th, Buena Vista, Valley, Anacostia, etc. The crime is average or worse?

Another question, aside from whites and blacks, what other ethnicity stands out? Latinos? Asians? Arabs? etc

Much appreciated

Latinos are everywhere in Columbia Heights

Ethiopians are everywhere in that area plus in U St corridor where they have restaurants/bars/coffee shops they own. Though, a lot of Ethiopians are moving into Maryland where housing via rents or mortgages are much more affordable than the inflated prices in DC in this day and age.

A lot of Arabs live in Virginia, you'll find a lot of the cab drivers are Ethiopian, Somali, Yemeni, Nigerian, Ghanian... and more. The city is very diverse. Children of immigrants are everywhere either from around the country or those like myself who were raised in the suburbs of MD/VA

African Americans used to make up like 70% of the city in the 1960s-70s.

Since the 1990s, it has steadily dropped. I think the city is now 44% Black as most blacks are going to PG County, MD due to the gentrification of places like Columbia Heights, Anacostia, NE DC, Capitol Hill and the H St corridor, etc.

And yeah the city is divided into quadrants. All quadrants meet at the US Capitol. So if you're at the Capitol on 1st St NE, you walk a couple blocks and you're in SE... walk a few blocks down west and you're in SW...

If you know the alphabet, you'll never get lost in DC. What I mean by that is as you go down the alphabet (example from T St to U St to V St to W St), that signifies you're going NORTH. If you're going up the alphabet, that signifies you're going SOUTH.

Its a small city to begin with which is a plus for navigation.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
My wariya nikka summed it up pretty much.

The diversity here is the biggest strength of this community. You can meet so many people from different places and get hip to a lot of cultures. I just wish we had a more diverse Latino population. We don't got enough PRs or Brazilians here, you can meet some but they'll be in the bougie parts of da city on some diplomat/I'm on a student visa studying international affairs type shyt.

shyt's fluke.

Fluke/Fluked out = fukked up or gettin fukked over. i.e. Person 1: "Aye yung, tell me why I went and just copped some pack right, right when I'm bout to get to my crib feds hemmed me up and had me clamped in da car pressin me out." Person 2: "Kill, that's fluke as shyt mo." Person 3: "Tell me why I was bout to fukk this one joint, then she hit me wit da you got any HIV test papers?:wtf:" Person 4: "Aye go 'head yung, she hit chu wit da poetic justice doe? She wouldn't of did me like that...:umad::mjpls:" Person 3: "Kill. bytch fluked me out like shyt." :sadbron:

Fanangle: Make something happen

Clutch: Coming through went it counts, fast thinking in a tight situation

Rapped up: 1. Bunned up with your girl 2. Being lectured to

Ball/Jigga: 100 dollars/1000 dollars

Wet: Tight, cool, slick. Usually refers to cars or shoes/clothes.

Fire: Lighter

Fade: Do, i.e. "Can you stay an extra hour." "Can't even fade it mo." "Aye, I got some joints lined up and they all ready to go. You fukkin wit it?" "Stamp, I just got off work so I can fade it wholetime."

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
not at all, zero chance whatsoever. most of those people aren't from DC either

but a lot of younger people from surrounding areas, including wealthy suburbs, might know them, i.e. bama, yung/jo/mo, blown, fakin

also you should know these words are prevalent in DC and certain parts of MD, and maybe make their way into VA after a time. so some of them might be more popular in certain parts than others

I was born in DC and raised in Northeast and Silver Springs, MD. All of the DC area speaks the same slang so everybody white and black understands these terms from VA to DC to MD regardless of race or class. Hell I was using mad DC slang when I moved to NC and everybody knew what I was saying so it ain't like the slang is that hard to decipher.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thanks for the feedback.

Was assuming the low-income areas (just the city of DC specifically) would be predominately black like U.S. cities such as Baton Rouge and ish, but I guess it's somewhat like New York.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Latinos are everywhere in Columbia Heights

Ethiopians are everywhere in that area plus in U St corridor where they have restaurants/bars/coffee shops they own. Though, a lot of Ethiopians are moving into Maryland where housing via rents or mortgages are much more affordable than the inflated prices in DC in this day and age.

A lot of Arabs live in Virginia, you'll find a lot of the cab drivers are Ethiopian, Somali, Yemeni, Nigerian, Ghanian... and more. The city is very diverse. Children of immigrants are everywhere either from around the country or those like myself who were raised in the suburbs of MD/VA

African Americans used to make up like 70% of the city in the 1960s-70s.

Since the 1990s, it has steadily dropped. I think the city is now 44% Black as most blacks are going to PG County, MD due to the gentrification of places like Columbia Heights, Anacostia, NE DC, Capitol Hill and the H St corridor, etc.

And yeah the city is divided into quadrants. All quadrants meet at the US Capitol. So if you're at the Capitol on 1st St NE, you walk a couple blocks and you're in SE... walk a few blocks down west and you're in SW...

If you know the alphabet, you'll never get lost in DC. What I mean by that is as you go down the alphabet (example from T St to U St to V St to W St), that signifies you're going NORTH. If you're going up the alphabet, that signifies you're going SOUTH.

Its a small city to begin with which is a plus for navigation.

Praise be to Allah.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Thanks for the feedback.

Was assuming the low-income areas (just the city of DC specifically) would be predominately black like U.S. cities such as Baton Rouge and ish, but I guess it's somewhat like New York.

They are, Ward 7-8 in SE are the last overwhelmingly Black strongholds in the city. The more diverse low-income areas are in other parts of the city and MD.

Constantine

Et in Arcadia ego...
Daps
Reppin
The "BUCKEYE" Nation
Whaling means lying. Bama means someone who's country, or just isn't hip. A funny joke is you ask someone why Baltimore is called B-More, they say why, you say because there be more bamas in Baltimore :russ:, be careful who you say it around though, some of those Baltimore bamas go hard:mjpls:...Whats funny is that D.C. is in the south, its below the Mason Dixon Line, and pretty much everyone who's black, their parents came from the south, but no one sees themselves as being southern. There's a highway, I believe its I-68, it goes East to West in Maryland, you have to go thorugh it to get to I-70, and there are people who fly Confederate flags up in the mountains. Launching means you're bugging. Go hard means doing something to excess, whether its a girl dropping the unabomb, or hustling, or smashing broads. White boy/s are cigarettes. Go head is a double entrede; its like "forget about it"; for instance if you tell your boy you got to dip to go see a broad, your boy will say "go head" which has a positive conation, but if you asking about your man's sister/cousin/ex girl/fam, he'll say "go head", which has a negative conation, basically fall back. Carried means disrespect/disrespecting. Jack means cigarette, because it'll jack your life, i.e. kill you eventually. Joint means a song, or any inanimate object. Crankin means a song that's the shyt, or a party that was on point. Joe means a dude, you say what's up joe, and give the person a head nod. Cuff means to steal something. Vicious means a savage beating, or something that's serious. Hemmed up means to get duff, or molly whopped. Press means to intimidate someone. Crucial means something serious as well. Rack means a lot, i.e. there was a rack of feds down in Trinidad, or there was a rack of broads at the club last night. Muggin, and grittin means to grill someone, or give them a dirty look, or simply staring. F.Y.I., its best not to stare, or look at people too long in D.C., more than a few seconds can lead to trouble. Wet/boat/love/water/love boat indicates usage of pcp, a cigarette dipped in enbalmbing fluid, or a blunt dipped in enbalmbing fluid. They say when you use it, it fells like you're on water/inwater/or on the love boat. Beast, or beasting means someone who's profecient at something. Jive has a different connotation from what our father's generation used. Jive is an adjective, its used to express an emotion, or felling. For instance someone may say, I'm jive kinda hungry. Joining means capping, or playing the dozens. Steal means to punch. Bumping means something that's nice, like your new Avia/Asics/Brooks/New Balance are bumping. Fakin means someone who's fronting.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Whaling means lying. Bama means someone who's country, or just isn't hip. A funny joke is you ask someone why Baltimore is called B-More, they say why, you say because there be more bamas in Baltimore :russ:, be careful who you say it around though, some of those Baltimore bamas go hard:mjpls:...

Talk behind your back ass nikkas.

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
Whaling means lying. Bama means someone who's country, or just isn't hip. A funny joke is you ask someone why Baltimore is called B-More, they say why, you say because there be more bamas in Baltimore :russ:, be careful who you say it around though, some of those Baltimore bamas go hard:mjpls:...Whats funny is that D.C. is in the south, its below the Mason Dixon Line, and pretty much everyone who's black, their parents came from the south, but no one sees themselves as being southern. There's a highway, I believe its I-68, it goes East to West in Maryland, you have to go thorugh it to get to I-70, and there are people who fly Confederate flags up in the mountains. Launching means you're bugging. Go hard means doing something to excess, whether its a girl dropping the unabomb, or hustling, or smashing broads. White boy/s are cigarettes. Go head is a double entrede; its like "forget about it"; for instance if you tell your boy you got to dip to go see a broad, your boy will say "go head" which has a positive conation, but if you asking about your man's sister/cousin/ex girl/fam, he'll say "go head", which has a negative conation, basically fall back. Carried means disrespect/disrespecting. Jack means cigarette, because it'll jack your life, i.e. kill you eventually. Joint means a song, or any inanimate object. Crankin means a song that's the shyt, or a party that was on point. Joe means a dude, you say what's up joe, and give the person a head nod. Cuff means to steal something. Vicious means a savage beating, or something that's serious. Hemmed up means to get duff, or molly whopped. Press means to intimidate someone. Crucial means something serious as well. Rack means a lot, i.e. there was a rack of feds down in Trinidad, or there was a rack of broads at the club last night. Muggin, and grittin means to grill someone, or give them a dirty look, or simply staring. F.Y.I., its best not to stare, or look at people too long in D.C., more than a few seconds can lead to trouble. Wet/boat/love/water/love indicates usage of pcp, a cigarette dipped in enbalmbing fluid, or a blunt dipped in enbalmbing fluid. Beast, or beasting means someone who's profecient at something. Jive has a different connotation from what our father's generation used. Jive is an adjective, its used to express an emotion, or felling. For instance someone may say, I'm jive kinda hungry. Joining means capping, or playing the dozens. Steal means to punch. Bimpin means something that's nice, like your new Avia/Asics/Brooks/New Balance are bumping. Fakin means someone who's fronting.

See this is all the shyt I grew up on. Back when I was in Maryland, my neighbor behind me had a confederate flag. I was only like 10 to 12 at this time though so I wasn't really aware on it. Although I probably should've been.

My uncle used to be on that boat heavy man. I remember one time he sat on my back porch, then came in the door and stood there for like 5 or 10 minutes opening and closing the door. It was the funniest shyt. Then he came in and sat down and started talking nonsense. He was pretty good with it mostly but ya know. I honestly didn't find out what boat was til years later. this was like when I was 15 or so.

One little thing though. I've heard press everywhere but pressed is what I've always known to be as too eager for something.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Its comedy to see nikkaz off the boat, make you wonder what the fukk they goin thru to fade the dipper in the first place. :wtf:

I went to college out Western MD so I saw all kinds of Confederate flags and shifty hillbillies.