Embracer group buys Eidos, Crystal Dynmics and Square Enix Montreal

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Embracer is such a weird name. Dystopian type shyt. I don't get the price at all. Same company paid over a billion for Borderlands :gucci:.

I agree the price for this is super low, but can't really be compared to the Gearbox purchase. They have a publishing division that does pretty decent, and have a movies and TV production team that's spinning up too. It's entirely speculative, but I think they viewed it as $1 billion being cheap now compared to what it could be if they bought later.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Embracer is such a weird name. Dystopian type shyt. I don't get the price at all. Same company paid over a billion for Borderlands :gucci:.

I didn't realize that they're what THQ rebranded into. Borderlands is getting a movie right now and still releasing projects, and they aren't full of microtransactions. These IPs seem like they may be going to a good home.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
what a steal.

I wonder if other companies like Sony and Microsoft even knew SE was selling these studios,
to not make a bid.

TheAnointedOne

Superstar
Daps
No one here will agree with me but those guys haven't made a good game in years. The last great Final Fantasy game was X. Everythings been trash.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
what a steal.

I wonder if other companies like Sony and Microsoft even knew SE was selling these studios,
to not make a bid.
I don’t think Sony has any interest in those studios or Tomb raider. Uncharted is a much bigger IP right now.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
These are hit or miss b tier AAA studios and no fanboys from either console put any of these companies on thier acquisition wish list :francis:

Not entirely untrue.

On one hand, I'm glad that the only way their publisher will call their next games flops is if they actually flop, but on the other, I can't say that I was dying to see what any of them were working on next.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Only thing I'm surprised at is the price they sold for. But Square had been bytchin moanin about Thief, Deus, and Tomb Raider sales for so long.. and then Avengers was probably the nail in the coffin.

We will definitely see another Tomb Raider. Wouldn't be surprised if we get another Deus Ex. Kain tho :whew:

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
W for gamers.

All these IP remain multiplatform, and now Square Enix won't just be sitting on them and doing nothing.