Elon Musk fires THOUSANDS of Twitter staff members! (UPDATE: TWITTERPOCALYPSE! Journalists and leftist accounts banned without warning!))

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
oh wow :salute: so brave :salute: from someone who probably made $200k salary at twitter living in his or hers $6000 a month high rise :salute: who would accept Elon's billions within miliseconds if offered the chance to have that kind of money :salute: so brave of this action here :salute: you really showed Elon :salute:
You really showed them, Mr. Gotcha.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He can find bodies to fill the job, but the problem is efficiency. He will have to have a whole new staff come in and learn the codebase and hope nothing breaks when adding new features. Realistically, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to ship development over to India
:jbhmm: you may be on to something
Elon Musk's Twitter operations are still in free fall.

Earlier this week, the billionaire CEO sent an email to staff telling them that they "need to be extremely hardcore" and work long hours at the office, or quit and get three months severance, as The Washington Post reports.

Employees had until 5 pm on Thursday to click "yes" and be part of Twitter moving forward or take the money and part ways. The problem for Musk? According to former Uber engineer Gergely Orosz, who has had a close ear to Twitter's recent inner turmoil, "far fewer than expected [developers] hit 'yes.'"

So many employees called Musk's bluff, Orosz says, that Musk is now "having meetings with top engineers to convince them to stay," in an embarrassing reversal of his public-facing bravado earlier this week.

Twitter has already been rocked by mass layoffs, cutting the workforce roughly in half. Instead of notifying them, employees had access to their email and work computers revoked without notice.

Even that process was bungled, too, with some employees immediately being asked to return to the company after Musk's crew realized it had sacked people it needed.

According to Orosz's estimations, Twitter's engineering workforce may have been cut by a whopping 90 percent in just three weeks.

But developers aren't exactly embracing that kind of tyranny.

"Sounds like playing hardball does not work," Orosz said. "Of course it doesn't."

"From my larger group of 50 people, 10 are staying, 40 are taking the severance," one source reportedly told Orosz. "Elon set up meetings with a few who plan to quit."

In short, developers are running for the hills — and besides, they're likely to find far better work conditions pretty much anywhere else.

"I am not sure Elon realizes that, unlike rocket scientists, who have relatively few options to work at, [developers] with the experience of building Twitter only have better options than the conditions he outlines," Orosz argued.

Then there's the fact that Musk has publicly lashed out at engineers, mocking them and implying that they were leading him on.

Those who spoke out against him were summarily fired.

That kind of hostility in leadership — Musk has shown an astonishing lack of respect — clearly isn't sitting well with many developers, who have taken up his to get three months of severance and leave.

"I meant it when I called Elon's latest ultimatum the first truly positive thing about this Twitter saga," Orosz wrote. "Because finally, everyone who had enough of the BS and is not on a visa could finally quit."

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
What is y'all gonna use to farm for thread topics now?

(My profile pic really hammers this question home.)

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
oh wow :salute: so brave :salute: from someone who probably made $200k salary at twitter living in his or hers $6000 a month high rise :salute: who would accept Elon's billions within miliseconds if offered the chance to have that kind of money :salute: so brave of this action here :salute: you really showed Elon :salute:
Cool story incel...you strike me as #teamBothSides

KGlock

All Star
Daps
Can someone give me a brief summary of what elon has done who those out of loop, so he essentially bought twitter and is purposely killing the app for his own amusement, that correct?

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
He can find bodies to fill the job, but the problem is efficiency. He will have to have a whole new staff come in and learn the codebase and hope nothing breaks when adding new features. Realistically, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to ship development over to India
And anybody who took the job would be gambling with their job security. All it takes is one bipolar internet rant from Elon for your entire department to be thrown in the bushes. He'd have the nerve to call you back before firing you again.

It's a horrible idea banking anything on him. Even those indian HB1 candidates are screwed if they can't keep a consistent sponsor for their documents .

Elon needs to write a love letter to his people to rectify things at this point

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
So what's happening? He laid off a bunch of people?

Why is it shutting down? Did he alienate many employees and they are quitting?

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
So what's happening? He laid off a bunch of people?

Why is it shutting down? Did he alienate many employees and they are quitting?
Basically he's been sensitive and firing anyone that publicly dislikes him or speaks against his leadership. He's fired just about everyone that maintains Twitter from a technical standpoint and those people can't just be replaced with another engineer it won't be that simple. Many have resigned also.