Eddie Murphy Teases a Possible 'Coming to America' Sequel

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
:russ:

Ironically, I watched it this weekend and thought "damn there's a really good sequel here" but then I thought you'd have to get john landis back and Eddie back in give a fukk mode. Don't know if either of those things would happen again so yeah maybe Eddie should keep on that "comeback" he's been doing since the beginning of the decade

To me, a good sequel (if you were just gonna be lazy and not bother to come up with a new story) would hinge on taking a specific liberty with the ending of the original.

If you started off by saying that shortly after the wedding Eddie moved to the States permanently and settled down. Had kids. Kid, in particular, eldest son, turns 18 and is a typical trust-fund kid and wants to go "glamping"/rich backpacking for a year before uni/college.

Eddie gets pissed and wonders how he raised a kid like that.

Sends him (and his cousin, Aresnio's son/daughter) to Africa to get back to their roots. But not the palace Eddie grew up in - real Africa. Aunties and Uncles Africa. Maybe Eddie goes back too to re-find himself.

I can't think of a title right now. Back to Africa isn't good enough but it's a good enough working title.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
To me, a good sequel (if you were just gonna be lazy and not bother to come up with a new story) would hinge on taking a specific liberty with the ending of the original.

If you started off by saying that shortly after the wedding Eddie moved to the States permanently and settled down. Had kids. Kid, in particular, eldest son, turns 18 and is a typical trust-fund kid and wants to go "glamping"/rich backpacking for a year before uni/college.

Eddie gets pissed and wonders how he raised a kid like that.

Sends him (and his cousin, Aresnio's son/daughter) to Africa to get back to their roots. But not the palace Eddie grew up in - real Africa. Aunties and Uncles Africa. Maybe Eddie goes back too to re-find himself.

I can't think of a title right now. Back to Africa isn't good enough but it's a good enough working title.

Yeah that's what I'd do..OR they're still in africa and the kids decide they want to see the world and go to london or cairo or somewhere else. I think it'd be interesting to see a guy who was incredibly progressive have to raise a daughter too

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Yeah that's what I'd do..OR they're still in africa and the kids decide they want to see the world and go to london or cairo or somewhere else. I think it'd be interesting to see a guy who was incredibly progressive have to raise a daughter too

:jbhmm:

Now that we're talking about it, a sequel wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

There's a couple of ways that you could explore this story further, I just don't trust any of these old ass nikkas to do it right lol

I'm not really opposed to the old heads like Eddie, Will, Martin etc. They just need smart, younger people to put some shine on their dusty ideas.

I'm sure Eddie has had some ideas while he's been bowling in his basement, but how relevant or current could they be coming from a half-a-billionaire recluse.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:jbhmm:

Now that we're talking about it, a sequel wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

There's a couple of ways that you could explore this story further, I just don't trust any of these old ass nikkas to do it right lol

I'm not really opposed to the old heads like Eddie, Will, Martin etc. They just need smart, younger people to put some shine on their dusty ideas.

I'm sure Eddie has had some ideas while he's been bowling in his basement, but how relevant or current could they be coming from a half-a-billionaire recluse.

And eddie's instincts haven't been the best when it comes to even his own characters. Told John Landis Axel shouldn't be funny anymore. What type of shyt is that?

Akeem and Lisa raising their own family would be an interesting idea. You don't make it a "coming to america" movie in the sense of the cinderella story, but you continue telling what happens after "happily ever after" which most stories never do. They always explain how the fairy tale ends with the couple getting together but the fun shyt is what happens while they're a couple now after pining for each other or fighting for each other. Thats when shyt gets real. How has the world changed in 30 years and how has it influenced the way they see the world? Are his kids more like him or more like his dad? is Semi still around? Has Lisa gotten used to Africa or did she bolt? Does royalty even suit both of them since they both seemed to want nothing to do with being a part of a dynasty?

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
And eddie's instincts haven't been the best when it comes to even his own characters. Told John Landis Axel shouldn't be funny anymore. What type of shyt is that?

Akeem and Lisa raising their own family would be an interesting idea. You don't make it a "coming to america" movie in the sense of the cinderella story, but you continue telling what happens after "happily ever after" which most stories never do. They always explain how the fairy tale ends with the couple getting together but the fun shyt is what happens while they're a couple now after pining for each other or fighting for each other. Thats when shyt gets real. How has the world changed in 30 years and how has it influenced the way they see the world? Are his kids more like him or more like his dad? is Semi still around? Has Lisa gotten used to Africa or did she bolt? Does royalty even suit both of them since they both seemed to want nothing to do with being a part of a dynasty?

Man...

Comedic actor is probably the hardest lane to sustain at a high level next to action star, but Eddie coulda had a truly legendary multi-decade run if he had a great team.

:mjcry:

I don't care what movie it is, sequel or not, I just hope he has one more incredible comedy left in him.

Manuel Hot Pepper Lopez

cac this, cac that, c00n this c00n that
Daps
Reppin
-------------------------

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
It could have something wack attached to it tho. Thus smudging the brand.
Let's come up with some new ideas and stop trying to capture past glory. It shows a lack in confidence.
It won't happen anyway. Eddie needs to venture into drama. Imo, he's done comedy wise. I hope he proves me wrong.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Or an original idea, maybe?

How 'bout that since you've been steadily doing not much for close to a decade.

:martin:

you still talking about Norbit?
norbit8_400x400.jpg

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
John Landis is still alive (the director) so its easily possible. So long as they keep it rated R and don't go all SJW. But Murphy seems (to me at least), to be all tapped out. Isn't he the king of raspberry awards? The guy can't and will not say no to a c00nery flick.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
:russ:

Ironically, I watched it this weekend and thought "damn there's a really good sequel here" but then I thought you'd have to get john landis back and Eddie back in give a fukk mode. Don't know if either of those things would happen again so yeah maybe Eddie should keep on that "comeback" he's been doing since the beginning of the decade

Eddie trashed John Landis back in the day. He hates his guts.

Eddie should just leave it alone...

The ONLY sequel he needs to be trying to get
Made is Beverly Hills Cop