Eddie Murphy goes for Oscar (and fails according to the reviews)

Concerned Citizen

Stevie Wonder 2099
Daps
:pacspit: at this movie. I've given up on magical negro, civil rights icon, music icon, sports icon and slave movies. I can't stand that shyt anymore. Hollywood just can't stop making the same kinds of movies and casting blacks in the same roles. Shyt is old and subtlety setting us back :pacspit::pacspit:

Some recent movies I gave the :camby: to:

The Help
The Butler
12 Years a Slave
Selma

I'm not watching these kinda flicks anymore except for Birth of a Nation :jawalrus: and a Toussaint Louverture if they ever make one. These other movies can go to hell. Give me X, Panther, Rosewood and I'm good!

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
:pacspit: at this movie. I've given up on magical negro, civil rights icon, music icon, sports icon and slave movies. I can't stand that shyt anymore. Hollywood just can't stop making the same kinds of movies and casting blacks in the same roles. Shyt is old and subtlety setting us back :pacspit::pacspit:

Some recent movies I gave the :camby: to:

The Help
The Butler
12 Years a Slave
Selma

I'm not watching these kinda flicks anymore except for Birth of a Nation :jawalrus: and a Toussaint Louverture if they ever make one. These other movies can go to hell. Give me X, Panther, Rosewood and I'm good!

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I don't know how true it is but I heard on a podcast Tower Heist was supposed to be the movie where they all came together. It was supposed to be those 3 and I want to say maybe Martin, Kevin Hart, and Chris Tucker. I think another comedian was supposed to play Gabby's role also, maybe Sommore or whoever. Studios changed it up though and put Stiller and the other cast in instead.
:why:

Why'd you come in here and drop info like that? I could have gone my whole life without knowing that all those guys could have been a movie together. Now I'm just gonna me mad that it didn't happen. On top of that I kinda like Tower Heist. But I can't even watch it again after knowing this. SMH

I was with u til u added martin. you do realize that's a tv show.
:what:

Last edited:

ML29

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Is he having money troubles or something? His career just doesn't make any type of sense anymore.

D-NICE

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Nashville Tenn
:why:

Why'd you come in here and drop info like that? I could have gone my whole life without knowing that all those guys could have been a movie together. Now I'm just gonna me mad that it didn't happen. On top of that I kinda like Tower Heist. But I can't even watch it again after knowing this. SMH

:what:

Just found an article about it.

'Tower Heist' was Supposed to be an All Black 'Ocean's Eleven' | EURweb

'Tower Heist' Director Brett Ratner

*(Via LA Times) – Eddie Murphy had a simple suggestion about six years ago: Why not make an all-black version of “Ocean’s Eleven”?

Director Brett Ratner and producer Brian Grazer loved the comedian’s idea, and before long, the trio was throwing around ideas about who could star opposite Murphy: Jamie Foxx, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, Tracy Morgan and Chris Tucker headed the list.

The resulting movie, Universal Pictures’ “Tower Heist,” arrives in theaters this weekend, where it will face solid competition from Warner Bros.‘ “A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas.” But after more than five years of development, Murphy’s original pitch has been transformed into a different film, with the all-black conceit replaced by an ensemble cast led by Ben Stiller and including Casey Affleck and Matthew Broderick.

While Murphy still has a prominent role in “Tower Heist,” as does African American actress Gabourey Sidibe (“Precious”), the movie’s basic story also has changed, with the story’s original villain (imagine Donald Trump) replaced by a Bernie Madoff-type character.

The evolution of “Tower Heist” illustrates how even a seemingly straightforward idea can go through countless iterations from concept to screen. While “Tower Heist” is credited to screenwriters Ted Griffin (“Ocean’s Eleven”), Jeff Nathanson (Ratner’s last two “Rush Hour” movies) and writing partners Adam Cooper and Bill Collage (“Accepted”), the script also was revised by Russell Gewirtz (“Inside Man”), Rawson Marshall Thurber (“Dodgeball”), Leslie Dixon (“The Thomas Crown Affair”) and Noah Baumbach (“The Squid and the Whale”).

Universal hopes that the PG-13 “Tower Heist,” which cost about $75 million after tax rebates, will play strongly for several weeks, but the release calendar is crowded. Audience tracking surveys show that the studio’s marketing efforts have sparked significant interest among older women, but “Harold & Kumar” is appealing more strongly to younger men. Both films will face three new wide releases next weekend: Clint Eastwood and Leonardo DiCaprio‘s “J. Edgar,” the sword-and-sandals drama “Immortals” and Adam Sandler‘s cross-dressing comedy “Jack and Jill.”

Read/learn MORE at LA Times.

:wow::mjcry: Eddie would have been back if they had followed his vision

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What's even more embarrassing is that EDDIE fukkING MURPHY. Prince Akeem himself who stood up at the oscars and told them Cacs to kiss his ass, who has untold gazillions in the bank and don't have to tap dance for NOBODY, made this bullshyt...

It's almost mind boggling, like I have to come up with some type of rationalization becomes it doesn't make sense.

:wow:

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just found an article about it.

'Tower Heist' was Supposed to be an All Black 'Ocean's Eleven' | EURweb

'Tower Heist' Director Brett Ratner

*(Via LA Times) – Eddie Murphy had a simple suggestion about six years ago: Why not make an all-black version of “Ocean’s Eleven”?

Director Brett Ratner and producer Brian Grazer loved the comedian’s idea, and before long, the trio was throwing around ideas about who could star opposite Murphy: Jamie Foxx, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, Tracy Morgan and Chris Tucker headed the list.

The resulting movie, Universal Pictures’ “Tower Heist,” arrives in theaters this weekend, where it will face solid competition from Warner Bros.‘ “A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas.” But after more than five years of development, Murphy’s original pitch has been transformed into a different film, with the all-black conceit replaced by an ensemble cast led by Ben Stiller and including Casey Affleck and Matthew Broderick.

While Murphy still has a prominent role in “Tower Heist,” as does African American actress Gabourey Sidibe (“Precious”), the movie’s basic story also has changed, with the story’s original villain (imagine Donald Trump) replaced by a Bernie Madoff-type character.

The evolution of “Tower Heist” illustrates how even a seemingly straightforward idea can go through countless iterations from concept to screen. While “Tower Heist” is credited to screenwriters Ted Griffin (“Ocean’s Eleven”), Jeff Nathanson (Ratner’s last two “Rush Hour” movies) and writing partners Adam Cooper and Bill Collage (“Accepted”), the script also was revised by Russell Gewirtz (“Inside Man”), Rawson Marshall Thurber (“Dodgeball”), Leslie Dixon (“The Thomas Crown Affair”) and Noah Baumbach (“The Squid and the Whale”).

Universal hopes that the PG-13 “Tower Heist,” which cost about $75 million after tax rebates, will play strongly for several weeks, but the release calendar is crowded. Audience tracking surveys show that the studio’s marketing efforts have sparked significant interest among older women, but “Harold & Kumar” is appealing more strongly to younger men. Both films will face three new wide releases next weekend: Clint Eastwood and Leonardo DiCaprio‘s “J. Edgar,” the sword-and-sandals drama “Immortals” and Adam Sandler‘s cross-dressing comedy “Jack and Jill.”

Read/learn MORE at LA Times.

:wow::mjcry: Eddie would have been back if they had followed his vision

:ohhh:

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw this movie. It's a very dope flick. Eddie did amazing in it, so did his co-star.

The film aint like the Butler or The Help where it's a black person lower than the white folks. Yall gotta check it out before you clown it. It's a very dope story.

I really don't understand the hate from reviewers. Comedians always do a great job with dramas