East Coast Lost It's Footing In the Early-Mid '90s Because Of The Lack Of Entertainment Value

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
inspired by my rant here:
"The South fukked up Hip Hop's sound"

elitists & purists are so full of chit. and I feel like the east coast lost its footing in the early-mid '90s because of it. people love to uphold this time period as some sort of holy grail and act as if that's when hip-hop began. and in turn, east coast music lost a lot of elements that previously made it great in the 1st place...……

......….and the other coasts picked up the slack & kept those elements alive thru the '90s to today. not just the party elements, but also the production, the presentation, the mic presence, the chit that blew hip-hop up in the first place. outside of the new jack swing rap in the early '90s and a chosen few in the mid-90s, all of this became absent on the east. and it has been hit-or-miss ever since because half the artists are just lost.

don't get it twisted, I still love some '90s boom bap and the native tongue stuff was overall good too, but the east coast as a whole did a poor job of balancing it out, and they were losing because of it.​

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
weak bait thread

How can u say the east coast lacked entertainment when Bad Boy was pushing that get fly and splurge image thats still popular today?

But before that Wu Tang Clan brought back an interest in kung fu flicks and had the hood all of a sudden trying to play chess.

Why did 2pac have such an interest in Boot Camp Clik?

Busta Rhymes was animated.

Ruff Ryders with Eve was a moment and Dipset made NYC Bloods look cool.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
weak bait thread

How can u say the east coast lacked entertainment when Bad Boy was pushing that get fly and splurge image thats still popular today

But before that Wu Tang Clan brought back an interest in kung fu flicks and had the hood all of a sudden trying to play chess.

Ruff Ryders with Eve was a monent and Dipset made NYC Bloods look cool.
and all the underground movements that were going on during those eras too.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps

No East Coast rapper during the first half of the 90s was going platinum in a short time until Biggie came out. And those that did, took years to get there.

Meanwhile Dre, Snoop, Outkast, NWA, Ice Cube, 2pac was selling out albums easy.

It was ONLY when Puffy came along and helped make the NY rap scene more fun to listen to.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
weak bait thread

How can u say the east coast lacked entertainment when Bad Boy was pushing that get fly and splurge image thats still popular today

Ruff Ryders with Eve was a monent and Dipset made NYC Bloods look cool.

THANK YOU for having actual content in your rebuttal.

im talking about early-mid '90s tho. ruff ryders & dipset don't exist. ruff ryders are one of the crews that brought it back. and dipset are one of the crews that kept the east coast alive in the '00s.

as for the actual eras listed in the thread title tho; I was speaking in general.
- bad boy falls under the "chosen few" category that I mentioned.
- of course busta rhymes is an entertainer more than anything.

- wutang…...ehhh. hit or miss. on the entertainment front. they had the presentation. and the had the formula to be backpack and still keep at least one joint on the mainstream airwaves while still being backpack. but at the same time, their reach wasn't as far as people like to believe on a NATIONAL scale.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
East Coast didnt lose its footing til the 00s.
Never lost footing. Legacies never lose. I don't hear no one talking about that snap rap the south had going on for a about a half a minute and last thing out of the west coast was back in the early 90s .. but an entire history of rap's origins began on the east coast; still maintained traction and relevancy.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
No East Coast rapper during the first half of the 90s was going platinum in a short time until Biggie came out. And those that did, took years to get there.

Meanwhile Dre, Snoop, Outkast, NWA, Ice Cube was selling out albums easy.

we agree overall BUT:
outkast wasn't selling like that back then.
stop with the forced plugs.

anyway, before biggie, ONYX was moving in '93. again tho, one of the chosen few.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Never lost footing. Legacies never lose. I don't hear no one talking about that snap rap the south had going on for a about a half a minute and last thing out of the west coast was back in the early 90s .. but an entire history of rap's origins began on the east coast; still maintained traction and relevancy.

youre so emotional that you have gone way off-topic.

also, keep in mind, im from the east coast.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THANK YOU for having actual content in your rebuttal.

im talking about early-mid '90s tho. ruff ryders & dipset don't exist. ruff ryders are one of the crews that brought it back. and dipset are one of the crews that kept the east coast alive in the '00s.

as for the actual eras listed in the thread title tho; I was speaking in general.
- bad boy falls under the "chosen few" category that I mentioned.
- of course busta rhymes is an entertainer more than anything.

- wutang…...ehhh. hit or miss. on the entertainment front. they had the presentation. and the had the formula to be backpack and still keep at least one joint on the mainstream airwaves while still being backpack. but at the same time, their reach wasn't as far as people like to believe on a NATIONAL scale.
you sound like you based your whole opinion from pages of Right On! Magazine circa 1990, NY alone had a lot of rappers and entertainment poppin off.
-Special Ed
- Black Moon
-Smif n Wessun
-Gang Starr (Guru)
-Tribe
-De La Soul
- DJ Premier
- the whole backpack clique movement started
-Salt n Pepa
-Nikki D
- Sweet T
-Stretch and Bobbitto