Earthbound is...

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
this particular game has a lot of hidden and not-obvious things that eat up a lot of time. i played both ways and it was much much MUCH better with a walkthrough

all this stuff went over my head when i was a kid

Last edited by a moderator:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
it is a hard game, especially the end if you don't know what you're doing.

The end is the only part I really think you need a hint...but I remember when I played it everyone knew the "trick" to doing big damage so I overlooked that. Outside of that though, it's pretty straight forward imo. Use scan to find a weakness, target the weakness and stay the hell away from the Babe Ruth Bat for Ness.

The only other things I remember being a bit tricky were keeping the portable phone on you and investing in the inventors to get past the pencils and erasers.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
On one hand, I think walkthroughs have spoiled the shyt out of us RPGers.

But on the other hand, it's not cool having to talk to the little kid in the house 6 times and then walking out in the desert two town over and delivering the letter he gave you to this girl so she can give you some seeds that you plant so when the bad guy "wins" at the end of disc 2 and the time skip happens you can find the ring wrapped around the roots of the tree and give it to the old blacksmith so he can reminisce about his girlfriend in the old world and create that Ultima +1 -Zero Sword that you hear about in some magazine....

fukk you, developers. how we supposed to know that shyt?

I spent a lot of the internet age going back and beating games I had beaten when I was younger with walkthroughs. I thought I had stacked teams from grinding as a kid, but then I played Shining Force 2 and got mithril weapons or FFT with FF7 characters...The only RPG I actually completely beat without a walkthrough was Suikoden and that took crazy time to figure out.

RJY33

master of reality
Daps
Top 3 game of all time to me. I play through it every other year or so. Mother 3 that was on GBA was good too, but the characters and story in earthbound are a lot better. I always wished they continued this series :sadcam:

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Giygas = the dude...probably one of the best boss battles of my childhood...or even ever.

I never got to finish Mother 3, but I did see the ending and the nods to Earthbound, and what happened to Pokey....

Top 3 game of all time to me. I play through it every other year or so. Mother 3 that was on GBA was good too, but the characters and story in earthbound are a lot better. I always wished they continued this series :sadcam:

You might get your wish...although it's not necessarily a new game, or even a game...

Shigesato Itoi says progress being made on new MOTHER project, but it's not MOTHER 4 - Neoseeker

Shigesato Itoi, prominent Japanese cultural figure and creator of the MOTHER series, took to Twitter today to announce that a new MOTHER project is making progress. Due in part to the rough translation and part to the nature and brevity of Twitter, it's difficult to say exactly what Itoi is referring to. It could be a MOTHER calendar for all we know. Itoi explicitly states it is not MOTHER 4, but despite that I'd expect there's something in the works that will make MOTHER fans very happy.

Here are Itoi's two tweets from his official Twitter account, with a rough translation provided by EarthBound Central:

"Since it’s now okay to blurt this out, here goes: the “MOTHER republication” thing I mentioned briefly before is making progress."

"It’s not “(MOTHER) 4″, though! This has to do with making “MOTHER” playable. I can’t give out any details just yet, but I do at least need to say that it isn’t 4."

While it's difficult to discern exactly what sort of project Itoi is implying is in development, one can make a few assumptions based on his wording. Specifically, when he says the project has to do with, "making 'MOTHER' playable," he likely means that MOTHER games are currently only available on classic consoles and through emulation. His goal, we can assume, is to make MOTHER playable through modern means -- whether that be consoles or otherwise.

Let's be brutally clear, here. Even if there is a MOTHER video game project in the works, and even if it was anything more than exploratory discussions in a board room, there are substantial obstacles in its way. For instance, the project in its current form is certainly only being discussed as a Japan only release. Beyond that, there are very large licensing and publishing issues that can prevent MOTHER from coming overseas that would need to be solved.

Still, this MOTHER project has gotten Shigesato Itoi excited, and that's certainly something we should be excited about too.

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
just started playing chrono trigger brehs :ohlawd:

I'm playing through it again too on my phone. I've played it every other year since 95' breh, its that good. It will start to pick up when you get through the future. Storyline will go from :wow: to :ohhh:

I just started playing earthbound too, just got Paula in my party :youngsabo: but this game is pretty fukkin hard breh, if I didn't have save states I would probably have thrown my phone into the bushes.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I just started playing earthbound too, just got Paula in my party :youngsabo: but this game is pretty fukkin hard breh, if I didn't have save states I would probably have thrown my phone into the bushes.

:huh: EB is pretty easy, and that's not even if you try to over level yourself.