Dusty Baker one of the realest nikkas in Baseball.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
Breh.

My ex and I about 20+ years ago wanted to work on a book called “the things we left behind “capturing a lot of these grates in their thoughts. She was still in school and I was in New York so we didn’t get a chance to work on it. I regret not doing it.

The responsibility of being “the” old head is somewhat scary to me because I don’t think we were as thorough as the generation before me. But unlike these kids today, we had pre-civil rights generation of people around us, so we took on a lot of their sensibilities while looking at the future of the so-called post civil rights.

Gen X was used to being in the middle…..but now….:to:
We had everything

Video games, BMX Bikes, Hip hop, Showtime era of 80s NBA Basketball

:mjcry:

We had it ALL

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Breh.

My ex and I about 20+ years ago wanted to work on a book called “the things we left behind “capturing a lot of these grates in their thoughts. She was still in school and I was in New York so we didn’t get a chance to work on it. I regret not doing it.

The responsibility of being “the” old head is somewhat scary to me because I don’t think we were as thorough as the generation before me. But unlike these kids today, we had pre-civil rights generation of people around us, so we took on a lot of their sensibilities while looking at the future of the so-called post civil rights.

Gen X was used to being in the middle…..but now….:to:
Yeah my dad is 70 and he along with a lot of our parents are pre civil rights but they were young teenage kids at the time. A lot of those stories of Jim Crow whites are going to be lost to the wind come next decade or so :mjcry:

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Yeah my dad is 70 and he along with a lot of our parents are pre civil rights but they were young teenage kids at the time. A lot of those stories of Jim Crow whites are going to be lost to the wind come next decade or so :mjcry:
It’s crazy. My wife’s mom lost two of her brothers, both who were in the Navy, in the same day and a so-called “drowning“accident Down in South Carolina. I have another homeboy whose father passed about seven years ago, was a Vietnam vet, and also had to run out of South Carolina due to some racist threats after beating a bigots ass.

Hearing Zeke in that interview talk about his mom being run out of the south at 14 hit me. We knew these people. Glad my son has that with his grandma but them leaving….. :to:

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
good interview with Bret Boone. Talked about his career, their dads, Dusty's relationship with Bill Russell, Hank Aaron etc

• Talked about how Hank vouched for him with the Braves and gave him a lot of sage advice.

• Dusty's dad sued him to prevent him from signing with the Braves when he was drafted. He didnt get his signing bonus until he was 21
  • Retired and wasn't sure which direction to go, Dad told him go to a mountaintop to pray and ask for direction. Goes up there, Giants owner happens to be up there, taps him on the shoulder and asks him to come work for the Giants. Originally wanted to assist the owner but they wanted him to work "in the field" Dusty: "as an African American "in the field" don't sound too good :mjlol: That's how his career as a coach/manager was started

he brought up this play, "this is how it used to be back in the day" :lolbron:

Last edited:

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
He be slamming the shyt out that table too drinking Malta and listening to Bachata :wow:

"MEDICINA DE AMORRRRR...... QUIERO DE TIIIIIIIII..........."
full

Spence

Superstar
Daps
good interview with Bret Boone. Talked about his career, their dads, Dusty's relationship with Bill Russell, Hank Aaron etc

• Talked about how Hank vouched for him with the Braves and gave him a lot of sage advice.

• Dusty's dad sued him to prevent him from signing with the Braves when he was drafted. He didnt get his signing bonus until he was 21
  • Retired and wasn't sure which direction to go, Dad told him go to a mountaintop to pray and ask for direction. Goes up there, Giants owner happens to be up there, taps him on the shoulder and asks him to come work for the Giants. Originally wanted to assist the owner but they wanted him to work "in the field" Dusty: "as an African American "in the field" don't sound too good :mjlol: That's how his career as a coach/manager was started

he brought up this play, "this is how it used to be back in the day" :lolbron:

I swear to god this Nga be in the most random of ass Forrest Gump places with people :mjlol:

Hikes up the same mountain on the same day and time as a billionaire baseball owner who happens to need his exact skills at that moment in time. :dead:

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I swear to god this Nga be in the most random of ass Forrest Gump places with people :mjlol:

Hikes up the same mountain on the same day and time as a billionaire baseball owner who happens to need his exact skills at that moment in time. :dead:
when i heard that story, i was like "i'm droppin this in the thread"

I forgot to mention he was a stock broker too :russ:

addt'l source from 2019

Dusty’s playing time in the Bay Area seems to get lost in the shuffle. He was a Giant in ’84 and with the A’s in his final two seasons, in ’85 and ’86. His sights set on a complete career change, Baker headed for Wall Street in 1987, but an extremely controversial statement made by a baseball big wig pulled Baker back into the mix. And he had something to prove.

“I was a stock broker in '87, and then Al Campanis said his words that we [African-Americans] weren't qualified. it was horrible, but sometimes good comes out of a horrible situation. I got a call from Hank [Aaron], Joe Morgan, Frank Robinson for us to all go to Dallas to get minorities jobs when they get through with baseball because baseball at the time, you didn't get any PR jobs. You didn't get any kind of jobs. When your playing days were done, you were done. ...

“We met in Dallas ... next thing I know, Bob Kennedy came to me and said, '[Giants general manager] Al Rosen would like to talk to you.' I said, 'About what?' He said, 'About a job.' I said, 'I’m not here to get a job. I’m here to help other people get a job,’ and he goes, 'Just listen to him.' So I listened to him — didn’t even know him. Out of that, Don Baylor got a job. ... Like I said, out of that bad situation came some good.

“So, I went to Lake Arrowhead with my daughter and my brother to ask God what to do because I didn't want to go into it. and I asked my dad, 'What do I do?' He said, 'Go to the hills and just pray on it.' So, I went to the hills. ...

“I’m standing in line, [Giants owner] Bob Lurie tapped me on the shoulder. I looked around, and he said, ‘You need to come join us.' I said, 'How many times have you been here?' He said, ‘This is my first time.' I said, ‘This is my first time, too.' So, I went to the phone — I have to call my dad. I said, ‘Dad, is that a sign?' He said, 'Son, you just don't want to see it, you go up there asking for a sign, and you don't want to adhere to what you're praying to and you haven't even prayed yet.'

“So, I flew to San Francisco — I was getting divorced, ready to get out of LA — and I interviewed with Rosen. He said, ‘We’d like to make you first base coach and ... what would you like to do?' and I said, 'I’d like to be your assistant general manager. I think I’m GM material.' He goes, ‘I think you'd be better suited for the field.' So, I kind of took exception to that. The field? What does that mean? And he said, ‘I think you'd be a better field manager.’ i didn't know if he was talking grounds crew or what, so I said OK. I said, ‘Someday I gotta get out of this position, not just be a coach. I’m the oldest of 5, was in the Marines. I’m used to giving orders more than taking them.' He said it would take five years to get the player out of me, and then five years almost to the day when I was hired, that's when I was chosen as a manager [1993].”

Spence

Superstar
Daps
when i heard that story, i was like "i'm droppin this in the thread"

I forgot to mention he was a stock broker too :russ:

addt'l source from 2019

I’m sure it was posted here already but he smoked with George Clinton among other random ass accolades:dead:

I’m sure if you had the wildest bucket list it would pale in comparison to what Dusty’s already done. Nga had ALL the job titles :mjlol:

Last edited: