Duke vs. UNC thread

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
There is only so much a team can get out of coaching, energy and upper class experience.

Sometimes you just need raw talent out on the court. And that's what this Carolina team doesn't have.

We had it before in Jalek Felton, but Roy didn't play him. And now that he's out of school all together we have no raw talent at all. I personally thought he would be a big part of the team later in the year during conference and tournament time.

funkee

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston, TX
Lol, most fans have been wishing Allen left last year . It's crazy, he could have came out all 3 years and probably lost some stock

he's been much more a net positive in his time at duke than alot of players. this team would be lost this year without him. put kennard in his place this year, and this team is nowhere near as good, he is definitely the engine that makes them go. I think he lost some stock last year, but has regained it. Regardless, I feel he was gonna always be in the 20-30 range no matter when he came out. And if the dude like school so much, and wanted to come back to prove things to himself and grow, then more power to him to finish his journey despite the abuse he's taken (yes, it started with self-inflicted wounds, but then the whole nation/media got carried away).

I got a sneaky feeling he will be a lottery pick kinda like how Kennard was other than that he will go first round and have a guaranteed contract :yeshrug:

nah, if he played like he did early in the season, then lottery would be possible, but he's definitely not lottery at this point. I do feel he is worth a first round pick, especially in the latter part of the first round for a playoff team. He would be dangerous off the bench for boston, san antonio, houston, golden state, philly, and a couple others.

CarolinaKing

The Carolina Blueprint
Daps
Reppin
NC
Before people get upset about me blaminRoy when we lose, please understand as a former athlete I do it because he's the only one being paid.

He should’ve played Brooks more in the 2nd half. We got killed inside with Luke at the 5 and we were one and done every offensive possession after they made their run. No clue why he refused to put a big in the game to try and stop that.

Jparker

Innocence lost in the EAST
Daps
Reppin
Durham,NC
@Justise M
2a4y83l.jpg

29fftxw.jpg

Gravity

Banned
Daps
There is only so much a team can get out of coaching, energy and upper class experience.

Sometimes you just need raw talent out on the court. And that's what this Carolina team doesn't have.

We had it before in Jalek Felton, but Roy didn't play him. And now that he's out of school all together we have no raw talent at all. I personally thought he would be a big part of the team later in the year during conference and tournament time.
I think that the development of Felton(along with the freshman bigs) was the most important objective of the season. Roy would’ve increased his pt as the season went on but it is what it is.

As good as maye has been all year he’s still a bit of an enigma at times to me. It’s like he still gets shook at times against elite athletes.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
put kennard in his place this year, and this team is nowhere near as good

imma disagree , Kennard was ball handling and hitting 3s like nobodies business last year. I think Kennard would have complimented Duval and would have kept the floor stretched (plus his midrange game is better than Allens).

i agree with the rest of your post.

funkee

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston, TX
imma disagree , Kennard was ball handling and hitting 3s like nobodies business last year. I think Kennard would have complimented Duval and would have kept the floor stretched (plus his midrange game is better than Allens).

i agree with the rest of your post.

luke barely handled the ball last year, grayson was again the de facto PG for the 16-17 team. he certainly shot better, yes, and his midrange game was good not b/c he could get by anyone, but b/c we ran great plays for him to curl and get into the paint. He doesn't have grayson's aggression and vision/passing, and would be more lost in this offense as he and gary would be redundant off ball shooters/scorers. I said it earlier this season, but luke and gary have had the easiest jobsof any duke starters in the last few years. let's not even start on his defensive deficiencies. grayson compliments tre just fine b/c he's still a threat that defenders can't sag off of. I also don't think luke's personality is as strong as grayson's to lead a group like this. I can't see him captaining w/ the same fervor that G has most of the time.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
luke barely handled the ball last year, grayson was again the de facto PG for the 16-17 team. he certainly shot better, yes, and his midrange game was good not b/c he could get by anyone, but b/c we ran great plays for him to curl and get into the paint. He doesn't have grayson's aggression and vision/passing, and would be more lost in this offense as he and gary would be redundant off ball shooters/scorers. I said it earlier this season, but luke and gary have had the easiest jobsof any duke starters in the last few years. let's not even start on his defensive deficiencies. grayson compliments tre just fine b/c he's still a threat that defenders can't sag off of. I also don't think luke's personality is as strong as grayson's to lead a group like this. I can't see him captaining w/ the same fervor that G has most of the time.

I think your memory of last year isn't as keen as you think lol. Kennard did handle the ball (all the scouting reports made reference to this prior to the draft) alot and you don't have to be aggressive or punkish to be a Duke leader. What we need is someone who can stretch the floor and also hit mid range shots when the freshmen are playing like freshmen . Teams can double down in the post and Grayson can't turn the corner on drives , so we end up in bad situations , usually with Trent trying to make a play. We would be a much stronger team and more dangerous with Kennard here...but that's just my opinion

funkee

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston, TX
I think your memory of last year isn't as keen as you think lol. Kennard did handle the ball (all the scouting reports made reference to this prior to the draft) alot and you don't have to be aggressive or punkish to be a Duke leader. What we need is someone who can stretch the floor and also hit mid range shots when the freshmen are playing like freshmen . Teams can double down in the post and Grayson can't turn the corner on drives , so we end up in bad situations , usually with Trent trying to make a play. We would be a much stronger team and more dangerous with Kennard here...but that's just my opinion

Leadership style is a wash, fair enough, but we'll have to agree to disagree otherwise. luke rarely handled the ball/initiated offense last year. he was running off baseline screens/action, curling into lane and being creative with fakes/hesitations, and spotting up for 3 off G's and frank's drives. Go watch games like against louisville or his crazy scoring 2nd half at wake. he barely handled the ball these games , and like most other games, he efficiently hit the open shots off plays designed to get him open. grayson certainly isn't anywhere the driver that trevon is (and luke can't even drive like grayson much less trevon), but he has a quick enough first step to get into the lane regularly off a straight line drive or off his pumpfake. his drives aren't as effective this year as they were as a sophomore b/c of all the lane congestion playing two bigs. he'll be more effective with nba spacing as luke has also been. I do agree that he has to work on his midrange. he has been better this year pulling up for a 2 point jumper, utilizing an up and under at the FT line, or hitting a floater. Where his scoring has suffered is that he's not going all the way to the hoop as much and not getting as many FT points, but at least this is keeping him healthier. Really good discussion though breh. @Jparker90 @Dic Roman @DredScott @Justise M any of ya'll care to weigh in?

Jparker

Innocence lost in the EAST
Daps
Reppin
Durham,NC
Luke didn’t really handle the ball last year he was good at cuts and curls and mid range. 3pt shot was good too. His height and shot allowed him to create his own shot a bit. We would def be a better team with Kennard I don’t see how someone who avg around 20 could make a team worse but he also wouldn’t fit with what we have now.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
Luke didn’t really handle the ball last year he was good at cuts and curls and mid range. 3pt shot was good too. His height and shot allowed him to create his own shot a bit. We would def be a better team with Kennard I don’t see how someone who avg around 20 could make a team worse but he also wouldn’t fit with what we have now.

i think we are not align on handling the ball, i'm not saying he was playing PG like Allen was...what i'm saying is he could handle the ball and get himself open and create offense. Between his driving, mid range, and 3 point shooting - he was basically a weapon that we wanted from Trent this year. It wasn't "a bit" either, for a college player he was doing this often.