Dreamer vs Raven is the WORST major ECW storyline

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
Joey explicitly says he went to a Pearl Jam concert and bought a flannel shirt after leaving the WWF :mjlol:
Punk should’ve called Raven out during their TNA feud on some

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
I'm waiting for the Taz drop fukk that midget :ohlawd:

You mean the guy who literally went from barefoot cannibal islander gimmick jumping up and down with his bare feet who got gifted the bruddah by Jimmy Snuka to two weeks later casually doing commentary under his real name of PETE and that was how they transitioned him into Taz? :mjlol:

I feel a kinship to his most miserable man in the world gimmick tbh

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Raven's real gimmick was he was just a guy intentionally doing a gimmick. All the stuff about his abusive and neglectful home life is all bullshyt. This is hinted at more than a few times in ECW, and outright revealed in WCW. His emotional state was an affectation he adopted to try to fit in with ECW. That was his actual gimmick.
Yeah, before his on-screen debut in ECW he was was outright referred to as Johnny Polo by Stevie Richards.

El Guapo

Superstar
Daps
Someone had to say it :wow:

Kept hearing all about this Raven and Dreamer feud that the early internet was raving about only for me to look it up years later and saw it started over a summer camp romance :mjlol: Talk about killing my expectations from the start :hhh:

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
I'm trying to get through all of ECW. This angle stood out as being particularly nonsensical and stupid, which makes it even more baffling that it's still held up as one of if not the defining ECW storyline. It's exactly the kind of shytty sports entertainment angle ECW mutants would have shyt on hard if it was going on in WCW or WWF at the time.

It stands out even MORE because the side feuds Raven and Dreamer had in the midst of their feud are all better than the actual feud.
Breh you’re really missing the point

“This is the kind of shyt angle ECW fans would shyt on if it were WWF”

Yes. Exactly. That’s why Raven used such a stupid reason “summer camp” to commit these ultra violent acts. To make it painfully clear this was all bullshyt. But apparently the message wasn’t obvious to everyone :mjlol: It was ECW’s ironic send up. ECW reveled in the stupidity of wresting. It was a parody. Just trivial excuses to commit bodily harm on overweight dudes with beer belly’s. You’re reading too deep into this

You said it yourself, Ravens gimmick is he’s a guy intentionally playing a gimmick. Yes! Exactly! It’s breaking the fourth wall to point out how dumb most feuds are. They reduced classic rivalries to fundamental elements and spoofed on them. A meaningless argument between old friends that spawns a heated rivalry, one guy always wins to build tensions, and at some point one of them fukks the other guy’s girlfriend.

Now where is the RVD vs Jerry Lynn appreciation thread? :jbhmm:

Last edited:

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
Breh you’re really missing the point

“This is the kind of shyt angle ECW fans would shyt on if it were WWF”

Yes. Exactly. That’s why Raven used such a stupid reason “summer camp” to commit these ultra violent acts. To make it painfully clear this was all bullshyt. But apparently the message wasn’t obvious to everyone :mjlol: It was ECW’s ironic send up. ECW reveled in the stupidity of wresting. It was a parody. Just trivial excuses to commit bodily harm on overweight dudes with beer belly’s. You’re reading too deep into this

You said it yourself, Ravens gimmick is he’s a guy intentionally playing a gimmick. Yes! Exactly! It’s breaking the fourth wall to point out how dumb most feuds are. They reduced classic rivalries to fundamental elements and spoofed on them. A meaningless argument between old friends that spawns a heated rivalry, one guy always wins to build tensions, and at some point one of them fukks the other guy’s girlfriend.

Now where is the RVD vs Jerry Lynn appreciation thread? :jbhmm:

Lol no. It was not an ironic send up, nor was it breaking the fourth wall. It was played 1000% straight the whole way through. It's exactly the kind of stupid shyt Raven thinks is a great angle while talking about fiery white meat babyfaces if you've ever heard like...any of his shoots. If Raven was a booker, he'd have an entire company booked full of Dreamer vs Raven angles because that's the kind of shyt he loves.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
The first like...3-4 months of Raven's character, this comes up regularly. His first promo vids are him walking around the suburbs.

I actually liked that promo. It was a bit creepy with Raven walking around a wrecked playground with voices of children singing. Looking back on it, for the first time in 20 years, it's kind of aged a bit.

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana

I actually kind of liked that promo. It was a bit creepy with walking around a wrecked playground with voices of children singing.

I was talking about his first ECW music video. It's literally just him walking around the suburbs as his music plays for 3 minutes.

But also it should be noted that Mikey Whipwreck was in a similar angle that started at the same time with Jason bringing some nerd that held a grudge against Mikey since their school days.

Beautiful Bobby Eatin

SWEEEEEEEEEETNESS!
Daps
Reppin
Terra Belle, Georgia
I was talking about his first ECW music video. It's literally just him walking around the suburbs as his music plays for 3 minutes.

But also it should be noted that Mikey Whipwreck was in a similar angle that started at the same time with Jason bringing some nerd that held a grudge against Mikey since their school days.
Ok so i need to hear. What were your top 5 favorite angles? In no paticular order if that becomes difficult

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
Ok so i need to hear. What were your top 5 favorite angles? In no paticular order if that becomes difficult

I can tell you none of them involve someone being a pissbaby over something that happened when they were teenagers and found a way to enter the same profession and the same company years later just for revenge

Metal Face

Superstar
Daps
@stro What are some shyt in ECW that you actually enjoyed?
I'm boutta rewatch some stuff.

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
@stro What are some shyt in ECW that you actually enjoyed?
I'm boutta rewatch some stuff.

Despite my thread shytting on Shane Douglas, his promos definitely have the juice in 1994-1997, match wise he never matches his promo quality after 1995. I enjoy Taz's most miserable man in the world gimmick where no matter what happens he finds a reason to be pissed and talks that shyt, again the matches don't really reach the promo quality, though. I like the RVD/Sabu team and the "WWF Invasion" angle because of how absurd it is that Sabu is working as an emissary of Vince throughout the duration of it. Chris Candido is wildly entertaining (again, not always in matches, though). The FBI gets some legit lols once in a while. Sandman is my favorite shytty wrestler. I liked Mikey's progression from jobber to fluky champion to real champion but for whatever reason once Foley left he was basically non-existent in storylines for the next 2 years.

Storyline wise almost every single angle either peters out and gets dropped or goes on forever with no real conclusion. It starts to be a real problem in 1997 because nothing ends up having a real pay off due to injuries or guys jumping to WCW/WWF in the middle of angles, and pay offs that do happen are immediately overwritten by whatever next angle that starts immediately after.

So... nothing?

Sorry I don't have 5 storylines on deck at all time for you to pick apart and tell me how stupid they are and why Raven/Dreamer is better. This is a dumb angle, you don't have to drag down other angles to make this one look less stupid.