'Draymond's the greatest defender in NBA history' - ex-NBA player who played with Bill Russell

Daps
While Draymond does absolutely amazing things on defense I think the team's scheme does a lot to help him shine. If they play against a great big the Warriors do either a lot of fronting or zoning up in front of the big with Draymond behind them. So even when bigs don't kill them a large part of it is due to team defense and their ability to switch and rotate in perfect sync with each other.
In part that's true (I do think you're underrating his on-an-island defense, as no other player in the last 3-4 seasons has been more effective), but you can apply that reasoning to every single great NBA defender, they all benefitted from schemes, teammates, and coaching, allowing them to be effective on that end, and play to their strengths. I look at it like this, since every ATG defender benefits from the support around them - who has more influence, impact, control and roles on that end other than Draymond?

Nobody.
I also don't think Draymond is a dominant enough of a rebounder.
Draymond's not in a position where he can maximize rebound opportunities because of all the roles he plays on defense - he can't afford to camp by the paint waiting for boards or hunt for them, because he's doing a million other things on that end, that are just as important/impactful as rebounding, some even more. I hope you're not putting that much emphasis on rebounding simply because it's a stat in the box score?

I posted this a couple years ago -

"One thing I'd add is his rebounding ability -

Contested DREB:

Whiteside grabs 2.7 a game
Cousins grabs 2.5 a game
Drummond grabs 2.4 a game
DeAndre grabs 2.3 a game
KAT grabs 2.2 a game
Draymond grabs 2.2 a game

Also ranks near the top in DREB Win% and REB Win% too.

Which is insane not only considering he's only 6'7" and pulling down a similar amount of contested DREBs as the elite rebounders who've at least three inches on him, but he's doing it while not living in the paint like they do. To patrol the perimeter and defend all the ISO, spot up and off screen possessions he does as well as having the energy/ability to crash the glass like that is......

:whoo:

Not only is he one of the best players at defending any type of shot, but he's also one of the best players at denying teams from getting a second chance opportunity on the boards."

In this year's playoffs, Draymond's averaging 4.7 contested rebounds a game, to put that into perspective, Gobert is averaging 4.8 and Embiid is averaging 4.3 - he's averaging the same amount of contested rebounds as two 7fters, both of whom are stationed in the paint more than he is. Not only do they have the advantage of being bigger to grab rebounds, but they also have more opportunities to grab these type of rebounds because of their role on that end, yet Draymond STILL averages the same amount of contested rebounds as they do.

That shyt is insane.
The underrated reason Cleveland was even able to play it close with Golden State was Tristan Thompson killing them on the boards. Plus I think Draymond gets bonus points in a lot of people's eyes for being undersized..
Thompson's one and only job was to rebound - Draymond had 10000x more jobs on the defensive end to take of (jobs that require him to defend stretch bigs, and switch onto guards regularly, taking him away from the paint). Folks were criticizing him for not guarding LeBron, now he's getting blamed because he wasn't there to stop Thompson from getting offensive rebounds. If Draymond's only job was to rebound in the GS/CLE series', Thompson would be glued to the bench for the entirety of them.

Daps
Green routinely gets beat by Cousins and Aldridge nobody is going to stop everybody
:dwillhuh:

This isn't true, at all. He actually routinely holds them to low shooting percentages when he's the primary defender. Draymond was one of the reasons why LMA deleted all of his social media accounts after he went 2-9 shooting for 5 points against the Warriors a couple of seasons ago.

Daps
Wait, in the golden state game thread they was dismissing sarcasm about green being the “goat defender”as a joke that has run its course.

But actually it was brought to the Coli by the leader If the gsw fans? Smh
You sure you're not talking about the "Draymond can lock down Cap" joke?

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
:dwillhuh:

This isn't true, at all. He actually routinely holds them to low shooting percentages when he's the primary defender. Draymond was one of the reasons why LMA deleted all of his social media accounts after he went 2-9 shooting for 5 points against the Warriors a couple of seasons ago.
He literally just average 24 and 9 on 46 percent shooting

Daps
He literally just average 24 and 9 on 46 percent shooting
I said as "He actually routinely holds them to low shooting percentages when he's the primary defender".

See:

(I won't reference the other three games that LMA struggled to shoot above 40% combined.)

How many of those buckets in the above clips did LMA drop on Dray?

:usure:

Or what about last year's playoffs, when he only averaged 15 points on 41% shooting against the Warriors?

:usure:

Daps
He got at least 5 buckets in both videos directly on Dray.
Timestamps, please.

And if that's true (we shall soon see), only 26% of his made field goals were against Draymond in those two games. Hardly a mark that constitutes getting beat by him routinely, now does it?

Daps
that's more than "might have a bias" my g :heh:
color commentator bias is some next level shyt :mjlol:
He actually played with Bill Russell, typically dudes of his era would favor the era they played in, in fact, 90% of the dudes favor the players/teams of the era/generation they played in. The fact he said this after playing in the league and/or covering it for 50 years should tell you something:

“Russell was a better shot-blocker, without question,” Barnett said. “He changed shots, changed decision-making on drives to the basket. He could go out on the perimeter and was pretty good at that, too. But Draymond can defend 1-through-5 and he is the best help defender I’ve ever seen. He anticipates what the offense is going to do (or should do) and gets a jump on them.

He defends early in the play even when the play is right in his lap. He’s intensely competitive and does things WHILE ON THE FLOOR that Russell never did. Takes advantage immediately if the offensive player even begins to expose the ball. He is a ball hawk in the paint. Russell had the advantage of waiting on a player to commit in the air, and then he would go for the shot and cover a huge area. Different, eras."

KingJay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly bouls, Trust the Process
He actually played with Bill Russell, typically dudes of his era would favor the era they played in, in fact, 90% of the dudes favor the players/teams of the era/generation they played in. The fact he said this after playing in the league and/or covering it for 50 years should tell you something:

“Russell was a better shot-blocker, without question,” Barnett said. “He changed shots, changed decision-making on drives to the basket. He could go out on the perimeter and was pretty good at that, too. But Draymond can defend 1-through-5 and he is the best help defender I’ve ever seen. He anticipates what the offense is going to do (or should do) and gets a jump on them.

He defends early in the play even when the play is right in his lap. He’s intensely competitive and does things WHILE ON THE FLOOR that Russell never did. Takes advantage immediately if the offensive player even begins to expose the ball. He is a ball hawk in the paint. Russell had the advantage of waiting on a player to commit in the air, and then he would go for the shot and cover a huge area. Different, eras."
color commentator bias is some next level shyt :mjlol: