"Drake's Views from the 6 needs to be a classic or else"-Charlamagne

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
It won't be. It will be forever difficult for Drake to make a "classic". Almost all hiphop "classics" have had a theme and typically focused around street/hood shyt. Nothing Drake does will really fall into that, especially with the singing.

Superstar
Daps
It was always surprising to me that he's never made music at a really high level.

Also. I literally hate hearing uninformed white people talk about Hip Hop. It gets under my skin.

He's came extremely close before with So Far Gone and Take Care but always seems to miss the mark by inches. I think it's due to the inherent parts of his style (the singing, the commercial shyt, the good but shallow lyrical depth) that make him so popular but aren't conducive to making classic 5 mic hip-hop albums

Wiles

Superstar
Daps
Drake already got classics

So far gone is a classic mixtape of Lil Wayne's dedication 2 caliber

And all his album have been classics or atleast quality music
images

Lookin ass

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
It won't be. It will be forever difficult for Drake to make a "classic". Almost all hiphop "classics" have had a theme and typically focused around street/hood shyt. Nothing Drake does will really fall into that, especially with the singing.
Pure ignorance. Surprising coming from you actually. Plenty of artist have blurred that line before. plenty of Hip Hop albums that are classics that don't focus on Hood and Street shyt. Kanye's first 2 albums kept that at a minimum. And both are universal classics.

I think he just lacks the depth and subject matter. Even looking back, a lot of "deep cuts" are shallow. Even when he's trying to showcase some form of depth he rarely ever leaves the surface.

I noticed this a little while ago. Even with tracks like "Fear", it's worded nice, vocabulary on display in some areas. Good metaphors. But then you look closer. He really isn't saying anything.

2manyFCKNrappers

mentally i measure kilos
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

I think if the genre is to continue, its going to be hard to deem something a classic only relying on a street/hood theme, as more blacks move out of them and the perspective and definitions of what it means to be black and real continue to shift. Hip Hop's original purpose was to shed light on the struggles of the black community with the hope to change the way we were living. It would be in vain if we only give credit to the systematic structures set out to destroy us as a defining benchmark to what makes our music what it is. We make black music as black people. Good music is good music regardless of where you come from. It's not keeping it 100 about who you are that makes you less authentic and less hip hop.

Drake can't make a classic because he just fronts all the time and lacks the skill to make a hip hop classic period.

Last edited:

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Drake already got classics

So far gone is a classic mixtape of Lil Wayne's dedication 2 caliber

And all his album have been classics or atleast quality music
There are plenty of quality albums that are not classics.

I think he's always made good music. Nothing groundbreaking or amazing though.