Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
Teaser

Extended Trailer

Starring:
Zoë Kravitz, Forest Whitaker, Tony Revolori, A$AP Rocky, Tyga, Vince Staples, & Casey Veggies
Writer: Rick Famuyiwa
Director: Rick Famuyiwa

Release Date: June 19, 2015

"Dope" is a coming of age comedy/drama for the post hip hop generation. Malcolm is a geek, carefully surviving life in The Bottoms, a tough neighborhood in Inglewood, CA filled with gangsters & drugs dealers, while juggling his senior year of college applications, interviews and the SAT. His dream is to attend Harvard. A chance invitation to a big underground party leads Malcolm and his friends into a, only in Los Angeles, gritty adventure filed with offbeat characters & bad choices. If Malcolm can persevere, he'll go from being a geek, to being dope, to ultimately being himself.

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
I mostly want to see it but the trailers haven't fully sold me. Mostly cause of Rocky. I am really not feeling that and then I saw Tyga in the cast list. That's almost enough to make me show up to protest the movie on principle. Other than those things, it looks solid.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I was with it up until the generic drug dealing gangsters decide to front him tens of thousands in narcotics, and instruct him to sell it...because thats what OG gang members involved in the narcotic trade do to facilitate their sales, entrust costly product to goofball high school kids...why can't they just be kids growing up and dealing with that? Thats what made 'The Wood' great was it's exclusion of those kind of hackneyed Hollywood plot devices.

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
watched another trailer, meh i'm not so sure. at first i thought it was set in the 80s but it's just hipster kids. i'll still check it out but it could go both ways.