Don Toliver - Hardstone Psycho (Discussion Thread)

2ATMsYouSteppinOrWhat

No Round 2’s :camumad:
Daps
He never lived up to his astroworld feature

nah he surpassed that with No Idea, You, XSCAPE, Double Standards & Swangin on Westheimer

he just not consistent. That life of a don album was his heatrocks. He just needs to get away from travis and stop making music with trendy artists & the “artsy” type artists and lock in with someone like mike dean, Wondagurl or metro and have them produce/a&r his projects

2ATMsYouSteppinOrWhat

No Round 2’s :camumad:
Daps
or he need to get back in touch with dom kennedy. they were fukking with each other heavy during Rap n Roll & Life of A Don era/sessions idk what happened with that. some of there unreleased collabs are :whew:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This album is very uneven.
The mixes on the guitars are legit terrible tbh.
There are times where they sound great but more often than not they sound brittle and thin in the mix
and don't even add the necessary texture.
The 808s, kicks and synth bass overpower entire records to the point that the mids might well as not exist.

His song writing is also weaker on this album, IDK how you can write great shyt like "No Idea", "Cardigan", "What you need", the Company Trilogy of records.

This doesn't talk about the overt shift in theme from Playboy/Player to super gangster, the "Shoot" record with the Whitney flip...is interesting to say the least.

One of the worst projects he's put out, not all duds but nowhere near the highs of his previous records.

Still love Donny Womack though, so I hope he comes back stronger on the next album.

I fully acknowledge that he may not have fully written the above records and I know for a fact several records he didn't have a hand in writing at all but I think you get my point, the writing has taken as massive nosedive and the general quality of the mixing is worse than his first three albums.

I have no idea if he has the same engineer for these records.

Last edited:

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
Don't call me back since you can't answer when I call ya/ Daddy was a rolling stone, I get it from my father

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
What could he possibly autotune yodel about this time :unimpressed:
Ok, he ain't talking bout shyt.....

...but the melodies and beats go super dee duper hard :wow:

yung-joc-o.gif

And it all flows well....great balance and variety of tempo and energies throughout the album