Does anyone else here not listen to rap/hiphop?

wise prophet

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mainly spend most of my time listening to old school stuff. I'll hear some good stuff from new guys occasionally (Kendrick Lamar, Big KRIT) but for the most part I have little desire to listen to new musicians...but this goes for all genres of music, not just rap.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
interesting thread. i consider myself a hiphop head thru and thru but it jus doesnt appeal to me nearly as much as it used to. the majority is just too immature

Soundwave

No Known Weaknesses
Supporter
Daps
I don't really pay attention to a lot of these new rappers, so I guess you could say I don't really listen to too much new hip hop.

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
Man, I NEVER buy new hip hop or listen to it much at all.

I grew up with every Tuesday being like a fukking holiday. I'd hit my local Strawberries (remember them?) and grab the new release of the week. They had a chalk board with the upcoming new releases on it.

Every Tuesday from like 88-96 was like something you've never heard before coming out weekly.

I mean, younger dudes won't understand this, but when I was growing up, like one week you'd get ATCQ A low End Theory and just go, YO, wtf is THIS shyt??

Follow that up with like, Big Daddy Kane I get the Job done and some New Jack Swing shyt and be like WTF is THIS!@?

Then the next week its like Das Efx debuts and your like :ohlawd:

THEN its like 36 Chambers WuTang.....THEN it's like Diamond D...then its Nice and Smooth, then it's The Pharcyde...Then it's The Cronic...Then it's Common's 'Can I borrow a dollar' with this mutherfukekr like hiccuping on records and shyt.

It was exciting and fresh and new and quality.

Now its just...ugh.

And yes I'm :flabbynsick:

shyt was new and non stop for ever.

Sinnerman

Veteran
Daps
I still listen somewhat, its getting too saturated but there are some gems. such as that dom kennedy album that dropped the other day :dj2:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
i still listen to rap, but its usually shyt thats a few years old....

i haven't really listened to anything new more than once outside of basedgod :bow:

no rapper is really interesting to me now musically (kendrick is ridiculously good at rapping, but he aint no game changer imo)

im expanding my horizons music-wise :yeshrug:

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Nowadays I usually only listen to rap when I work out. You would never catch me listening to it just hanging out at home.

I throw it on too when I'm drinking with the brehs e.g. Curren$y or Wiz or something like that. I find myself more entertained though by electronic, rock, house, techno, and indie music more than rap music.

But I used to listen to rap religiously, as a genre it's been stagnant for some time. Plus music in general is so transient now. You barely listen to anything months after it's released. The only rap album that I still listen to today years after its release is MBDTF (actually many of Kanye's albums). Other stuff, nah, not worth it. Artists and songs come and go so quickly, you can jump in and out and nothing will have changed.

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
nothing wrong with listening to other things... but im probably not gonna ever totally disregard it. I'll just find an artist that fits where I am or where ive been in my life.

Right now(as far as newer artist are concerned) im listening to Dom Kennedy, Joey Bada$$, Lute, King Mez & ANTHM

laMode

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
not really, hiphop is horrible now the last album i truly enjoyed besides watch the throne was big boi's album that dropped back in 2010 i believe
i liked tyler the creator for a sec until he wouldnt stop talkin bout raping b*tches o.0 freaked me out.....
so now i just keep my A Tribe Called Quest CD's in rotation in my car

laMode

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
same here, I used to download the wackest Papoose tapes and every singles that dropped looking for gems to show to the homies

nowadays shyt just doesn't have the same appeal anymore :yeshrug:
lmao...papoose....he sucks....

Arcavian

Him Downstairs
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
I can't leave hip hop alone, while there is some bullshyt in the game there are still some nikkas that get what its all about