Does any other wrestler have an argument they belong on the Austin/Hogan/Rock tier?

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
It's Cena - longevity, box office, merchandise, being "the guy". The ultimate franchise player.

It's not his fault his run came at a time right after the company was at it's hottest. No where to go but down from the Attitude era peak.
If Cena was truly at that level then WWE's would've been as hot as those other periods during his run

WWF was ice cold before Stone Cold got the ball. Guys on that level heat up the whole business.

Cena these days is best known for memes and things he's done away from the ring, he never had the impact of Rock or Austin or Hogan.

Ill-Yaz

FA Cup winning fan
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He said in the WWE

What….? RVD is bigger than Cena, Sting & Randy Savage…?

Lmao that clown really said that?

RVD was just viewed as a mid carder in WWE until Triple H elevated him into the mainevent scene.

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
I'm talking popularity.

For Cena, longevity does not equal peak popularity. As popular as Cena was, there was never a singular moment in his career where he was as popular as Austin, Rock, or Hogan.

The ones @Mook listed don't even come close. Think of it this way, if WWE re-created the segment in my OP, what wrestler could come out and have a legit argument his popularity was as high as those 3? Silkk brings up a strong qualifier in Cena at least but IMO Cena just never reached the highs that those three did.
Nah. I didn’t even like Cena during his run but it’s already accepted that He’s on that level with the guys you mentioned.

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
It’s hard to make an apples to apples comparison, because guys like Cena and Roman existed or are existing in completely different worlds than Hogan, Rock, and Austin.

The way we consume media and the options that exist are a different animal in the Cena/Roman years. In Hogan, Rock, Austin’s era there was only one way to watch wrestling and if you missed it you were fukked. And more to that point, Cena/Roman have to contend with the internet (it was in its infancy stage for Rock/Austin) where you have legions of doofuses online, who like to tear down anything popular or successful and sabotage the product.

They way neckbeards acted during the Cena era was embarrassing

Also, WWF didn’t miss a beat when Austin went down with an injury in ‘99

Last edited:

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
nobody's really broken box office records since unless you wanna say Roman is responsible for this year and Mania 32 but I think the past 20 years its been about the brand of WWE being the draw. Of course I can say Cena is the closest after, Flair maybe but both didnt do as big as these 3 but were close.

In terms of recognition not necessairly business, Taker, Macho are close but theres a lot after that

Ace Money

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because WWE hasn’t been rewriting history since purchasing WCW? :comeon:

They made DDP a Stalker….:comeon:

He stalked a 5 when his wife was a dime…:comeon:
Young Ace will never forgive Vince for this shyt. That pop was stupid when he made his debut. :mjcry: That's my technologically savvy yogi. :mjcry: