Do you train for Atheletics or bodybuilding?

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
I was on Seth Rollins instagram and it makes me wanna try crossfit but i havent done it yet. I found an interesting IG post from his page.

wwerollins"Leg Day"

I stopped training in body part splits years ago. I found that training like a bodybuilder, working for a "pump," and driving for aesthetics at all costs was detrimental to my physical well being as an athlete. I strained muscles more often. My mobility was atrocious and I never really understood the mechanics of very rudimentary level physical skills like squatting, deadlifting, running, jumping.
Bodybuilding is an art and takes an extraordinary amount of dedication and hard work, but it's not the best way to train for athletics. With that said, I abandoned most isolation exercises months ago and started training like an athlete: for skill. Consequently, I'm in the best shape of my life..aesthetically and physically. I'm stronger than ever. I don't get hurt and I happen to look pretty alright in the process.
Yesterday I did a little beltless back squat and deadlift superset. 5x4. Weights went: 225/275, 275/325, 305/355, 325/385, 345/405. Squats are low bar and way below parallel. Deadlifts are traditional stance.
I don't skip leg day, because every day is leg day, bro.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Young-Girl-Shrugs-Why-Dont-We-Have-Both.gif

If I ranked it:
Optimal Health
Asthetics
Performance.

My path doesn't force them to not be tied. My lifting is primarily compounds with a little isolation work. I use plyos and sprinting to build on that as well.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I used to do fullbody workouts 3 times a week but I wanted to train 4 days a week with 2 cardio sessions, so I switched to a upper lower split, but I don't do any isolations tho. I just feel like I can really hit my upper body and lower body better since I can do more in each workout compared to a fullbody. Plus I still am doing each workout twice a week. Although Imo a full body routine is perfect for a beginner to get used to the main lifts.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Seth Rollins is right. I always do full body workouts. Im trying to be athletic. I dont know where the idea to isolate body parts came from but that shyt doesnt make you functional.
been preaching this for years....

Functional strength >>> looking chiseled

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
who the fukk supersets deadlifts and squats.

@semtex :lupe: can you?

People on celltech :mjpls:

Nah but I'm with him on fullbody swag. Lots of compounds 2-3 times a week and I run a couple miles a week as well, not p*ssy ass jogging running, either. I feel I'm more well rounded.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Upper/lower split because I don't have the time to do a proper full body workout (workout at home after work/before dinner).

Cardio in the weekends (boxing/swimming)