Do you think the best player in the world title is open?

Boonapalist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
I'd say that early 2000s was definitely Shaq vs Duncan on some 55/45 leaning (maybe 65-35 admist the 3-peat years). The others like Kobe, TMac, KG (and at times Jason Kidd) rounded out the top 5-6 but it felt like there was somewhat of a gap. Fair or not, media machinations or not.

i.e. If you go by the NBA GM survey, which started in 03... the question of if you had to start a franchise with any player? In 2003, GMs chose Shaq over everyone (coming off the 3peat). In '04, '05, and '06... GMs chose Duncan by margin. It was basically Shaq/Duncan or Duncan/Shaq every year for that and for forecasted MVP winner. After '06 was when LeBron took over as top guy by GMs.
Yeah the conversation was really Shaq/Duncan but by 03 Kobe and TMac had so much love and hype from the more casual fan and stans so I had to mention them. And KG had support from the early analytics community on the internet.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
What makes Gianni’s and Embiid better then 5 straight first team Luka?
Giannis has made first team since 2019, and he had his most efficient season on offense this past season. Embiid, former MVP and was on a historic tear this past season until he got hurt was about to win it again. Both those guys bring it on defense to a level where Luka could only dream of, and to top it off I've never been a particularly huge fan of heliocentric style players/offenses. :yeshrug:

Gotright

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
detroit
Giannis has made first team since 2019, and he had his most efficient season on offense this past season. Embiid, former MVP and was on a historic tear this past season until he got hurt was about to win it again. Both those guys bring it on defense to a level where Luka could only dream of, and to top it off I've never been a particularly huge fan of heliocentric style players/offenses. :yeshrug:
I figured u would say the way he play. That’s what its really is

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
He’s nothing like harden to me. He play what people call is “Bron ball”
He primarily operates at the top of the key or wing, gets the switch he wants, lulls you to sleep with dribbles, step back 3 or drive to a Lively or Gafford lob or kick out for a PJ Washington 3. I will say he doesn't mind getting a midrange bucket, Harden never bothered with the midrange in his prime Houston years.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
It's hard to say who the best player in the world is

If you had the number 1 pick in the nba draft...are you drafting Luka number 1?

I mean you could make the case Victor is the best player in the world. He can give you 20 to 40 a game from as close to under the basket all the way to logo 3's, literally block 10 shots a game if a team is dumb enough to challenge him that many times, commands double and triple teams so everyone else around him will get open looks. If someone has the number 1 pick in an nba draft I don't see how you not picking Victor. Dude was out here hitting logo 3's and palming fade away jump shots out of other 7 footers hands. Aint another player in the world who could do that.

And yet he is 20, played on one of the worst teams in the league who didn't improve as a team with him playing (mostly because when he was on the bench they got smoked) and at 20 he still 6 to 8 years away from his prime. How could somebody be the best player in the world if they not even close to they prime yet? Or is it just that Victor is "impactful" where due to his defense he impacts the game in ways players like Luka and Jokic never could?