Do you think Angela Bassett sabatoged her own career?

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
maybe it's just me but hasn't Viola Davis come in and taken her spot? the main difference between the two is that Davis will play characters with flaws and doesn't always have to be the queen B in the room

from Bassett's own wikipedia:

Bassett has been noted for portraying real life African-American women, as well as "strong women". Bassett said in 2001 that she liked those roles and added: "That's the image that I like to put out there, and those are the parts I'm attracted to. But not iron-fist kind of strong, just self-assured. I'm nice too."[27] She has turned down roles which she viewed as demeaning to her image.

this is something I picked up on once when i saw her in a movie playing Rosa Parks...she too good to play a prostitute? a crackhead? a woman with flaws? :patrice:

it appears she's been humbled by lack of those types of roles coming her way:

r

1445508968278.jpg

so do you all think she fukked her own career up or am I just trippin? :manny:

Last edited:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I think she is just older and maybe some view Davis as more talented.

aint her and Davis about the same age?

Matter fact I was looking back at Scrooged over the break... and didnt realize Viola played in that..... she was Bill Murray's secretary that had the kid that didnt talk

Martha

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I don't take that quote to mean she won't play a woman with flaws. And what is your definition of a flawed woman anyway? She was an alcoholic in one of those American Horror Story seasons. And she got her ass beat and raped in What's Love Got To Do With It?

Her and Viola play similar roles for the most part. It's not like Viola is out there playing prostitutes and crackheads. Both have played mamas to abusive/cheating husbands, and Queen B types. They both even played Amanda Waller.

The fact that even you say Viola took "her spot" is the problem. There is only one token spot available for black women in prestige roles? That's the fault of the industry, not Angella for desiring solid roles. No one considers it a problem if Merryl Streep or whoever is selective in their roles.

In any case, her career looks fine to me. Not like there are any gaps in her resume where she can't find work. She's filming for a marvel blockbuster right now.

Last edited:

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always feel like she could have gotten more roles in nowadays but I do think she plays too safe too much or maybe Hollywood blackballed her.

She is a declined leading in movies now. Also, she's barley got any offer movie deal. She's in fukking Tyler Perry movies? :what: or play small part in some low-budget movies

She deserves better than that. I mean you got Meryl Streep still got leading roles movie offered deal but yet Angela couldn't get any movie deal for supporting actress?

I don't get the part about Viola took over her? Angela was just disappeared before Viola came in.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thought her career was just fine u know a strong black women gotta take weird cac hollywood in small doses. Besides is 2017 somebody ask her. She on social media at all?