Do you feel sorry for devs that have to "crunch"?

You feel sorry for them?

• Yeah

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Nah

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Nobody crunching shyt. Most of this games are in beta on release day. The final build doesn't come out until 6 months later.

hotbeezie

Go Dawgzz!!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Man I was working 7 on 7 off 12 hour shifts at the hospital dealing with Known positive Covid patients, which really turned into 11 on and 3 off.

I ain’t really tryna hear it. MFs would kill to be in their position
:francis:

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
To an extent. I mean I’m an empathetic person in general and I don’t like the idea of people having to do shyt like that. You’re in a position you’ve dreamed of and worked hard to get, so just stepping away from something like that is a lot easier said than done. But I also feel if they’re willing to show up and they’re getting compensated for their work, :yeshrug:

This is America. Better yet, this is capitalism. We all get exploited on the path to getting what we desire.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
I value my time more than overtime. Which is why I chose the career that I did. I'd imagine those opposed to "crunch" feel the same. They should unionize and/or if possible, attempt to find developers that aren't big on crunch, which is easier said than done given it's pretty much par for the course in today's gaming industry. I'm empathetic, regardless.

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
They'll make a whole thread crying a river on resetera about developer crunch....

As far as I'm concerned, its the profession you chose and usually you get paid very well. Even with all those long hours and missing family, everyone is able to eat.

Come cry to me when you only making 10 dollars an hour struggling to feed your kids....not making a video game coming home at 4 in the morning in your fully loaded Tesla

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
They'll make a whole thread crying a river on resetera about developer crunch....

As far as I'm concerned, its the profession you chose and usually you get paid very well. Even with all those long hours and missing family, everyone is able to eat.

Come cry to me when you only making 10 dollars an hour struggling to feed your kids....not making a video game coming home at 4 in the morning in your fully loaded Tesla

This ain’t really true though. Most of the devs get paid shyt. Only the top level guys pulling in a bunch of money. The ones most susceptible to crunch are the ones also getting paid the least, and have the least power over their career trajectory.

And they don’t even get paid for the overtime hours :huhldup:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
When you have to put in overtime to meet a deadline, that's a symptom of poor planning by the people in charge. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, can't get fooled again.

50?:mjlol:
I’m working 80+ hours next week and then working 50 the week after.:heh:
You really that glad about taking 50+ hours worth of L :mjlol:? You're supposed to brag about sub 40 hour work weeks while getting paid for more. Coli dudes LOVE putting their Ls on display for the world:russ:.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Crunch in software development isn't the same as crunch in a warehouse context.

If one man is loading trucks, you can throw another man at the job and if both are performing at similar levels, you can almost cut the time to load one truck by half.

Such is not the case when it comes to solving abstract problems.

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
former BioWare dev Mark Darrah was recently on min max podcast talking about “crunch”. he was whining about 50 hour work weeks...lol like wtf? I feel like 50 work weeks are normal for a lot of people, like my dad who busted his ass in a factory everyday, and these divas (who are doing what they love mind you) are crying about it while getting overtime pay?

honestly that podcast made me a lot less sympathetic to the whole dev crunch scandal

Erm...Overtime isn't common in the gaming industry (I'm in it)