Do movie theaters really need to show previews anymore?

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
It depends on the movie. If it’s a “blockbuster” then you’re going to see a lot.
what? that's not true at all.

AMC/Cinemark regardless of the film has about 20 mins of previews.

The exceptions for both seem to be special screenings, where they usually only have 1-2 previews then jump right into the movie.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
It depends on the movie. If it’s a “blockbuster” then you’re going to see a lot.

Pre social media it made sense. And the previews were curated to that specific genre.
One of the more regional chains here only does 10 minutes of preview so it's not as bad

Last edited:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
what? that's not true at all.

AMC/Cinemark regardless of the film has about 20 mins of previews.

The exceptions for both seem to be special screenings, where they usually only have 1-2 previews then jump right into the movie.
My 70 mm screening of Oppenheimer had no previews and it was goat

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
I always like being there in time for the previews. Of course I rarely ever go to a theater anymore, but still.

I always like getting places early (if you're not early then you're late is one of my mottos), so I think it would be a good idea from my POV if they just started the previews early then whatever show time was scheduled for is when the movie starts rolling. So like if you're showtime is 3:30 then 3:15-3:30 is the previews and 3:30 movie is rolling.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
They do need to shorten the amount of previews. Us stoners would appreciate it, my high starts wearing off by the time the movie starts
If they are going to shorten anything with previews, I'd rather them use them 1-minute preview rather than them extended 2-3+ minute previews. After a minute if you aren't sold on a movie, then chances are seeing another 1-2+ minutes isn't going to change anything.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I always like being there in time for the previews. Of course I rarely ever go to a theater anymore, but still.
Those of us that go to the theater every week don't want to see the same previews all the time that we already saw on YouTube

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
hahaha

in all my years going to theaters, there have been many times where it felt like the studios/companies were TAXING me with the previews, with the fukking army recruitment ads, with the PHONENIX University ads

and do think, that now, in this era for theaters, they need to tone it down, 2 or three previews feels reasonable, cut the Nicole Kidman ads, cut the welcome to the theaters bullshyt, advertising for movie snacks when we are already seated, like ANYONE going to the movies hasn't thought about snacks and a coke

it feels unwise to continue those kids of gouging practices.

there's a metaphor in there about AMC corporate chains, and the excess, and bureaucratic nonsense, who is the target audience for those thank you for choosing AMC spots? where's the ROI on that

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I don't mind the previews per se, even the ads over here in France aren't that bad, but when you go to the movie theater like 2 or 3 times per week it's just tiring to have to sit through the same damn trailers. I have no idea how it works, some small movies get tons of trailers, some big ones hardly get any. Some movies only get trailers like a week before they come out, and for some others that are coming out in October they're already showing the trailer at every single showing smh.

Strangely enough, I hardly saw any Barbie or Oppenheimer trailer at the movie theater.