Do movie theaters really need to show previews anymore?

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
i don't watch trailers on youtube.

I'm not one of those type of people who like to breakdown trailers or bytch about trailers being held hostage by studios.

WHAT they should get rid of are actual commericals.

AMC, cinemark etc. Usually have some stupid commercial about stupid shyt + theater bumper + previews + final theater bumper then movie

AMC's prob the worse with that fukking nicole kidman bumper + IMAX/Dolby/standard + a-list pomo + don't talk/ruin the movie + beware of your surroundings

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
They should cut the commercials instead and show more previews.
That would be overkill, IMO. It's at a nice balance as it is now. The commercials at my theater play before the preview roll (usually before or after Menounos does her thing with Noovie trivia) and local companies who get advertisement play pay for those spots. Don't see them going away.

CourtesyFlush

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They do need to shorten the amount of previews. Us stoners would appreciate it, my high starts wearing off by the time the movie starts

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Good luck telling the studios that.
I hope they’re not actually spending marketing $$$ on that :dahell: they’re definitely getting finessed.

At this point previews are basically buffers for people who walk in late and there’s enough light for them to get to their seat before the movie starts.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I hope they’re not actually spending marketing $$$ on that :dahell: they’re definitely getting finessed.

At this point previews are basically buffers for people who walk in late and there’s enough light for them to get to their seat before the movie starts.
You hope they're not actually spending marketing money on what are essentially.....advertisements?

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
You hope they're not actually spending marketing money on what are essentially.....advertisements?
If it’s a blockbuster type flick, people are going to come see it. Or should it say, the word will already be out about the release, long before it drops.

Studios already pay theaters for the privilege of having their movie shown in the theater. And now they have to pay for a preview as well?

The business model should be different. And if theaters are getting money like that, snacks and drinks should be as high as they are :mjpls:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Theres probably some study that says the longer people stay in the theater the more money they spend or something

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
That would be overkill, IMO. It's at a nice balance as it is now. The commercials at my theater play before the preview roll (usually before or after Menounos does her thing with Noovie trivia) and local companies who get advertisement play pay for those spots. Don't see them going away.
there's weird one for HBOMax that played between previews like a legit trailer during a few of my latest visits. Had Aquaman telling us to subscribe :mjlol:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
It's brutal when you go to AMC and there's 22 minutes of previews plus the Nicole Kidman spot plus the others someone mentioned. Especially since movies these days are all fukking close to 3 hours long

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
It's brutal when you go to AMC and there's 22 minutes of previews plus the Nicole Kidman spot plus the others someone mentioned. Especially since movies these days are all fukking close to 3 hours long
It depends on the movie. If it’s a “blockbuster” then you’re going to see a lot.

Pre social media it made sense. And the previews were curated to that specific genre.