bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
@cloudbox look at this
il_570xN.701753529_lgep.jpg

il_570xN.677977165_k2pf.jpg

Found them on Etsy

https://www.etsy.com/listing/209955416/succulent-treasures-candy-box-the?ref=related-0

Aren't they gorgeous? :wow:
The last ones look like beautiful broached. :noah:So pretty.

Daps
Ladies, how is everyone?

This thread went to sleep awhile ago, I wanted to see what you all have done for gardening this year.

I finally got enough inspiration and made my raised garden bed! I used about 30 cinder blocks and stagger stacked them 2 high. I have a tiny car so I had to make 3 trips to the hardware store, am multiple trips from their car to my backyard. Those blocks were super heavy

I bought about $80 big bags worth of compost, topsoil, and organic gardening soil and dumped it into the space and mixed it up. I bought 4 regular and 4 cherry tomato plants, and 4 packs of onions, collard greens, butter and Romaine lettuce, and cucumbers.

Well everything looked nice and neat when I planted it, but I had WAY too many vegetables! I didn't pick the lettuce in time, by the time I tried them the leaves were bitter. My pretty collards got eaten up by bugs, the onions, I don't know.They didn't do much.

The tomatoes and onions, though. It's like they are on steroids. The tomatoes have exploded and taken over the garden and the cucumbers are not far behind. I have been able to harvest some cherry tomatoes and some cucumbers too. I had to cut back the tomato plants so I could harvest the ripe ones. I should have trained them better when they were growing, but I got lazy. The cucumber vines are CRAZY with lots of flower buds.

So I have never posted pictures, but I will try to upload some.

jeh

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 🏝️ Of Relevancy
Ladies, how is everyone?

This thread went to sleep awhile ago, I wanted to see what you all have done for gardening this year.

I finally got enough inspiration and made my raised garden bed! I used about 30 cinder blocks and stagger stacked them 2 high. I have a tiny car so I had to make 3 trips to the hardware store, am multiple trips from their car to my backyard. Those blocks were super heavy

I bought about $80 big bags worth of compost, topsoil, and organic gardening soil and dumped it into the space and mixed it up. I bought 4 regular and 4 cherry tomato plants, and 4 packs of onions, collard greens, butter and Romaine lettuce, and cucumbers.

Well everything looked nice and neat when I planted it, but I had WAY too many vegetables! I didn't pick the lettuce in time, by the time I tried them the leaves were bitter. My pretty collards got eaten up by bugs, the onions, I don't know.They didn't do much.

The tomatoes and onions, though. It's like they are on steroids. The tomatoes have exploded and taken over the garden and the cucumbers are not far behind. I have been able to harvest some cherry tomatoes and some cucumbers too. I had to cut back the tomato plants so I could harvest the ripe ones. I should have trained them better when they were growing, but I got lazy. The cucumber vines are CRAZY with lots of flower buds.

So I have never posted pictures, but I will try to upload some.

That would be nice if you shared pics of your lovely garden.

Ello_Vee

Pro
Daps
I don't have the time for gardening, but I do grow orchids. I just suck at repotting them because they grow so well that, really, I ought to be dividing. But I'm not confident enough to do it. So I have a bunch of pot bound plants. :francis:

Daps
I don't have the time for gardening, but I do grow orchids. I just suck at repotting them because they grow so well that, really, I ought to be dividing. But I'm not confident enough to do it. So I have a bunch of pot bound plants. :francis:
Orchids are so pretty, but they seem like they are fussy plants that are hard to grow. Do you have any secrets to your success with them?

Ello_Vee

Pro
Daps
Orchids are so pretty, but they seem like they are fussy plants that are hard to grow. Do you have any secrets to your success with them?
They are actually quite easy. No real secrets. Just read something once about in nature they grow on trees and other substrate - no soil. So they catch a rainfall and then dry out.

So I think of that and am careful not to water them on any set schedule. I have them in clear containers inside decorative pots. So I see the roots and if it feels light and the roots are not full and green, then it is time to water.
Soak but don't let them sit in the water more than 10 mins. Whatever they have soaked up is all they need. Then just let them have indirect bright light and leave them alone. (Dust off the leaves as necessary) Don't water again until the roots are dried out. Otherwise you rot them.

So, my tip is simply soak then dry out. Soak, then dry out. (over how much time can depend on the weather/environment/sun exposure/humidity where I live, etc, so avoiding any set watering schedule is my "secret".)

Daps
Ok, so I hope this will work:

(Sorry these pictures are so big. I will have to try and figure out how to resize.)

Anyway, so this is about 2 weeks or so after I planted them. I probably needed about double the space to have planted them properly.
As I was getting closer to take more pictures a bunny ran out under the fencing. If you enlarge the first picture you can see him hiding near the center of the picture.

I had put up the fencing to keep them out :mjcry:

Daps
Thanks so much to @jeh, I finally know how to post pictures here:

Anyway, so this is about 2 weeks or so after I planted them. I probably needed about double the space to have planted them properly.
As I was getting closer to take more pictures a bunny ran out under the fencing. If you enlarge the first picture you can see him hiding near the center of the picture.

11856523_10200718508160931_6440924751183582107_o.jpg

I had put up the fencing to keep them out :mjcry:

11807808_10200718508680944_5039039194011089282_o.jpg

Butter and Romaine lettuce, onions, collard greens, and cucumber plants.

11058383_10200718506080879_6593623784508957877_o.jpg

Cherry size and regular size tomato plants.

jeh

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 🏝️ Of Relevancy
@nubianqueenbee no problem. Nice pictures, also I see the rabbit in the first picture, what happened? Did you get on your Elmer Fudd and make rabbit stew lol. But seriously, that's some good eating right there. Nothing like growing your own food.

Daps
So my bunny ran out of the garden as I got closer. He scared me half to death-I didn't see him in there. He (she) got back in there a couple of times. I tried to secure the netting better but it just wasn't working. The odd thing was that he never ate anything in the garden. I thought that's what rabbits were supposed to do.

Well, it had to be a week or two later when the plants were much taller and I was watering and something startes scurriying around. Baby bunnies were in the garden. I couldn't believe it. I just couldn't figure out how they got in there. I didn't want to kill the babies so I just gave up for that day. THe next day I came back and there was one still in there. I was able to coax him out but he fell in the hole from the concrete block so I had to catch him in my hand and release him. I took some cardboard and put over the holes on one side and fully opened the fencing so they could come and go as they pleased. I was so shook by finding the babies in there I just gave up trying to keep them out.

Anyway, so I just kind of let the garden do its thing for the next couple of weeks because there was rain pretty regularly and nothing was ready. Here's how it looked a few weeks later:

11807178_10200718510720995_7955984320131584651_o.jpg

It actually was even worse, I trimmed back quite a bit of the tomato plants. I haave grown these before and they never got this big. I think it was the organic compost and garden soil I used when I filled the bed.

Here are some regular tomatoes. They are just getting red now, I don't know if it is because they are so shaded by the other plants that they are not getting enough sun. I picked one today. I have thought about picking some of the green ones and frying them, but I don't have that many of the regular sized ones for some reason.
11838912_10200718509880974_6278464320278738280_o.jpg

Some of the red cherry tomatoes. I was able to pick a handful of them today. There are alot of these, the plants just grow and grown.
11874969_10200718510840998_5604192932720860765_o.jpg

Here is one of my cucumbers that was ready to pick today. I have probably at least 3 or 4 more cucumbers that should be ready for picking in the next week or so these plants are performing really well.
11807593_10200718509960976_2119748859095081752_o.jpg

I hope that you all enjoyed the pictures, I know they are big. Any one else with pictures?