Do any of you ladies garden?

Nymeria

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Dorne.
I'm trying to get into gardening, like flowers and stuff. Any stories or tips? Should I stock up on Farmer's Almanacs? What are your favorite plants/flowers to grow?

I love the idea of having a red and orange tulip bed, they are so gorgeous to me. White tulips are graceful looking, I think I'd like them too.

Daps
Tulips and daffodils are great spring flowers. Look for some sunny areas to plant the bulbs. If you want instant gratification find some flowers at your local nursery or WalMart. You can also check some online catalogs for some special varieties that you can't find locally.

I love hostas! I have a shady side of my house where I have nothing but hostas in different shades and sizes. They are hardy and can be divided and transplanted to other areas relatively easily.

thirdeye

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yaaaaaaaaas, we plant flowers in the front and in our backyard we grow: herbs, collard greens, eggplants, tomatoes, onions, potatoes, peppers, hot peppers, cucumbers. During the summer, the only thing we really buy is meats but we grow all of our veggies. :eat:

Raava

Staff member
Daps
I just started gardening like a couple of months ago. I had been wanting to for years, but like you all are saying I was intimidated. Then one day I just did it. We went to Home Depot I priced things and then the next week we got them a little started kit.

We started with 4 smaller pots. Last weekend we had to transfer them each into their own bigger individual pots. We started with pots because neither of us had done it before. Eventually we will graduate to raised beds, we have a lot of space in the back yard. Hopefully this weekend we will clean out the front flower bed and plant some flowers. I don't know what kind yet I have to do research.

We have purple basil, cilantro, oregano, rosemary, lavender, roma tomatoes, purple tomatoes, spicy bell pepper and sweet bell pepper. I want to plant onions, garlic, and greens next. They had a lemon tree we wanted too.

I posted this in the produce thread.

Home depot is having a sale on plants and soil. I'm not sure if the organic is on sale tho.

15i2tu9.jpg

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
Nope, my mom and I want to but our neighborhood has skunks, racc00ns, possums, and squirrels. We're afraid our garden would attract them to our yard more then they already are.

Edit: Just read the OP, thought you meant gardening food. We did plant some things (like hostas and a bunch of flowers) but only our flowers came back the next summer. After that, nothing came back.

Nymeria

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Dorne.
I think some people have a green thumb, everything grows with them lol.

I've been reading up on everythingggg, like I know that tulips do better in warmer climates, they don't like to be watered to frequently, they prefer areas that get good afternoon sun exposure etc.

Daps
I really want to start this year. I have to admit, I find it a bit intimidating. Gonna try to plant some tulips in the front & tomatoes out back this fall and see what happens.
Now Sis, if you want tomatoes you will want to plant this spring, lol. When your local garden centers get plants you can go and get your tomato plants. I recommend the variety 'Early Girl'-it matures very early and you will get lots of tomatoes. I recommend getting at least 2-3 plants. You may also want to get at least 2 cherry tomato plants-they are really good for salads. Remember when you buy your plants to get your tomato cages, they will help support your plants once they get heavy with fruit. Just put it in the ground when you put in your plants.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Now Sis, if you want tomatoes you will want to plant this spring, lol. When your local garden centers get plants you can go and get your tomato plants. I recommend the variety 'Early Girl'-it matures very early and you will get lots of tomatoes. I recommend getting at least 2-3 plants. You may also want to get at least 2 cherry tomato plants-they are really good for salads. Remember when you buy your plants to get your tomato cages, they will help support your plants once they get heavy with fruit. Just put it in the ground when you put in your plants.

:ohhh: Word? Thanks, sis. I need to get hopping then.

• Dap
Reactions: jeh

September

Symbol Of Excellence
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Idaho.
My dad does some gardening at work and he's brought some seeds home but then we kind of forget about it. We tried pumpkins once. None of them made it. I think I'm gonna start growing some stuff too. I wanna go with green and red peppers, spinach and white onions because I go through those so quickly. But I live in New York so Idk if the weather is conducive to growing these veggies. Any tips?

Amy Traphouse

Supporter
Daps
My apt balcony faces away from the sun so my plants would never get light.

I tried with a wandering jew, fern, and ponytail palm but they aren't thriving well because of the lack of sunlight.

I really want a rosemary bush and other herbs such as basil, oregano, and lavender. Imma do some research and see if it can be done with a planter box.