Do any of yall practice Native/Diasporic African Religions? (Afro-Sprituality Thread)

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
For those of us that are spiritual... have you ever had any contact with an indigenous African faith? I was raised in Osha and Ifa and Im getting back into it heavy since the start of the year, its a beautiful religion... in fact the Muslims at first (not sure about now) were rather tolerant of it because some believe it was the faith of Abraham, the 1st prophet, and shared some finer points such as sand divination based on mathemtical coding. Granted their has been syncretism with Christianity in the past especially in the Caribbean and Deep South, but I wonder how many African Americans practice some of these faiths, since it seems the big trends faith wise here is Protestant Christian or Sunni Islam, and now Atheism instead of looking back to our roots... I know a few through second hand (that lady Iyanla is a friend of my family) and to me honestly its the best fit between ritual and power, and the fact that its been twisted by the European perspective only make it more interesting to delve into deeper. I just got some DNA results back 2 and I want to learn more about the other 2 religions my ancestors followed (Akan/Ashanti mythology and Berber traditions) but I was just wondering if the consensus is that these are considered legitimate monotheistic religions (which they are) or that the steretoypes of being hudu mumbo jumbo still prevail today? Thoughts on this Coli brehs? Also in no means am I disparaging any of the big Afro-Asiatic/Semitic faiths (Judaism, Christianity, Islam etc.) but do yall believe that these faiths are in a sense afraid of the ancient African roots that they come from?

Last edited:

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
Oral traditions are the most ancient. Abrahamic religions are based on scriptures because they are johnny come lately's. They have a beginning and an end and are not eternal, that's why they've been the most violent throughout history, they know their time is limited. I think you should learn as much as you can about that way of life and pass it down to your children.

maidung

Rookie
Daps
I do not have any religion at all, but we live in equality, all religions are not affecting each other

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
I'm looking to be initiated by a Babalawo...since I left south Florida for Toronto, that will be quite difficult. I met a few Yoruba brehs here, I'm gonna see what's up. Been studying Ifa for a while.

Iboru iboya ibocheche :salute: i got a book with all the odu with me right now, i gotta do alot of ish too but ever since a jit they been telling me i had a priest path as my future, funny cuz i used to be like ehhhh but as i got older my mind opened up to it. U ever heard of Palo Mayombe? Thats hardcore right there. I actually been linking up with Yorubas out here too i even found the equivalent of my name in the language

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
:wtf: why is this not a sticky thread. but OP i looked into my Nigerian/Igbo ancestors Odinani religion a little bit and Yoruba religion. i might consider practicing either one in the future, as soon i get a better understanding of them both.

My ancestors where yoruba but ive always been interested in igbo tradition too, funny how we never had contact til damn near the britsh came. I know a bit about voodoo but not enuff yet anyways. I have to complete a Kongo ceremony as well, which is completely different ethnicity but shares some parallels with west african faith and it was creolised. As for my white side i found out i have a high percentage of german in me (as a latino i was like wtf) and german pagan religion's are almost an exact copy and replica of the yoruba tradition down to the way they would tell the future (rune stones, we use cowrie shells and kola nuts) to the positions of deities (im an omo elegua who is like loki, but i have major protection from shango who is like thor, etc.) i do believe in the existence of one God who manifests in many differeng forms, only white pagans where truly polytheistic (which is why Christianity took the mold it has today) but i think a great way to move forward is to bring back the spirituality of our ppl, i want to actually creat a united American faith of African roots for blacks and hispanics with afro roots... Might be a long shot but i feel its a calling of mine

Last edited:

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
I was watching some reality show where they had a wicken witch, a vampire, a nudist, and a voodoo priest in the same hous with a bunch of christian contestants. All the christians were fairly comfortable doing vampiric and wicken rituals with the blonde white witch and the marilyn manson looking vampire cac, or even getting naked... but they weren't having none of the voodoo by the african voodoo priest.

I stopped watching after the pilot cause they voted the black guy off episode one, and I only watch reality shows as long as their are black contestants.
I am on season 6 or 7 of hell's kitchen and only made it to one season finale so far.:mjlol:
I've seen 20+ seasons of survivor and only ever got to the end a handful of times.:ehh: