Disney's Little Mermaid (Halle Bailey, Live Action) (May 26 2023)

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
they padded this out like crazy. added 3 new songs (2 for ariel, 1 for eric...eric's actor can't sing though)

it's more or less the same movie as the cartoon, just live action...the additional scenes mostly flesh out eric, ursla.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I haven't seen one live action remake live up to the original animated versions so that wouldn't shock me.
The live action films are forgettable one and done movies that'll be mostly forgotten a few months after release. I'd venture to say that this film will eventually join that group, but of course it'll gross a billion so Disney will continue to shovel this stuff like the Lilo &Stitch and Moana live action remakes out for the masses, :yeshrug: The only two live action films remakes that I enjoyed were The Jungle Book, which I've watched a few times, and Aladdin, which was a fun one and one movie. I didn't realize that so many on TheColi were Little Mermaid fans until they announced the remake a few years ago.

giphy.gif

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
This was OK. I agree with @Deltron though, they stretched out an 80-minute movie to over two hours and you could feel it. The stand-out performances belonged to Halle and Melissa and whoever played the crab Sebastian, who was funny AF and kept the movie engaging. I did not like the prince at all. And Melissa McCarthy shocked the hell out of me. She stole every scene she was in. There was a moment when Ariel first sees the ship and all of the crew that it did cross my mind how racist those men probably were considering the setting, but the movie totally subverts any possibility of race being an issue by making the entire world race-neutral. For example, the white prince's mother who is the queen is a Black woman. So it's like an alternate universe of ours, which I think is kinda cool because if mermaids can exist then why do we have to bring our terrible racial caste system to a magical story. But yeah, kinda drags a little so I'd give it a 7/10.

Last edited:

Urbanmiracle

Brooklyn the planet...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn son
My gf been harping about this movie since we started dating. Finally saw it last night, wasn’t bad at all to me. As stated, Sebastian, Ursula and hallie did their thing. The bird was cool too. The chemistry between the bird and Sebastian was better than Hallie and the prince. The prince solo song was trash, the added rap got the best reaction from the crowd I was with. It didn’t drag to me. Pretty solid. 7/10. My gf loved it except for flounder looking too much like a real fish and they cut some scenes from the original like the dinner scene and wedding. Otherwise good…

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
this wasnt bad. shoutout to the educated crustacean Sebastian. He was the highlight of the film. Also, Melissa McCarthy was entertaining as Ursula.

Halle Bailey did her thing too. I think it helped that she can sing in real life. She did well playing the "fish out of water" characterization as well.

Javier Bardem is always cool to see on screen.

Pacing was pretty fast, but since its a kids movie I get it.

not a huge fan of the film but Im also hip enough to know I aint the target demographic for this.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
this wasnt bad. shoutout to the educated crustacean Sebastian. He was the highlight of the film. Also, Melissa McCarthy was entertaining as Ursula.

Halle Bailey did her thing too. I think it helped that she can sing in real life. She did well playing the "fish out of water" characterization as well.

Javier Bardem is always cool to see on screen.

Pacing was pretty fast, but since its a kids movie I get it.

not a huge fan of the film but Im also hip enough to know I aint the target demographic for this.