Discord ends deal talks with Microsoft

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
To keep it simple, Discord's heart is WebRTC and built primarily using Elixir making it much easier to develop for. Slack's application edge cache Flannel alone makes it quite a bit more complex for developing but that same scaling technology could potentially be leveraged for other application uses. Both apps handling their unique workload scaling in an interesting way but Slack would require a lot more enterprise manpower to continue to develop and maintain versus Discord.

Slack Engineering -

Discord's Internal Infrastructure | Unofficial Discord API Docs

From your explanation it would seem that a more-easily-integrated platform would be the more desirable thing from Microsoft's - or any potential buyer, really - perspective, not so? What am I missing?

Thanks for that 2nd link especially, that bit about Rust is an interesting tidbit I didn't know. :salute:

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
From your explanation it would seem that a more-easily-integrated platform would be the more desirable thing from Microsoft's - or any potential buyer, really - perspective, not so? What am I missing?

Thanks for that 2nd link especially, that bit about Rust is an interesting tidbit I didn't know. :salute:
For MS yes, for another potential buyer - maybe not. MS has enough major platforms to sync billions into.

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Slack just got purchased for near $30 billion just four months ago. :francis:

This is a different scenario than just standalone platform purchases. MS needs Discord more than Discord needs them. MS is trying to fill a gap in their Skype setup to make a push for gamers, and dovetail that with business comms that Skype/Teams already covers. Slack is in direct competition with those last two and has better app connectivity(Dropbox, Adobe CC, Google Drive, etc). Add in Discord to Skype/Teams + the entire MS 365 lineup and that's a pretty big deal.

IMO ten billion is lowballing, but eh :manny:
MS wanted to buy Slack but got rebuffed, created ‘Teams’ which has gained a ridiculous amount of market share (thanks to the office tie in). Luckily for them, Salesforce picked up...the slack :datazz:

Point is, trying to play hardball with tech behemoths is risky. Discord is only worth $10bn because of synergies with MS operations. They reality is that they have terrible financials, struggling to see the play here