Discord ends deal talks with Microsoft

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Discord is a dope platform. I'm not sure if it's worth more than 10 billy but I like seeing companies not cashing out and bowing to these giants. Maybe it'll work out for Discord if they keep growing

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
They were struggling to produce viable income for operations since the boom. No reason to turn this down unless they have some airtight plan for revenue.

Might end up like Groupon. :francis:

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
They were struggling to produce viable income for operations since the boom. No reason to turn this down unless they have some airtight plan for revenue.

Might end up like Groupon. :francis:

That’s a name I haven’t heard of in a minute

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
Discord is a dope platform. I'm not sure if it's worth more than 10 billy but I like seeing companies not cashing out and bowing to these giants. Maybe it'll work out for Discord if they keep growing

This is where Discord absolutely now has to make moves.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Someone gonna by them, but if it ends up being tencent or some random Chinese company RIP.

That would be a huge get for M$ but for anything more than 10 billion they probably figured they can build or use something of there own.

Granted all there chat stuff has sucked, I did like skype for business and I do like teams but skype is DOA and teams... well the last thing I want is my teams linked to my work place or even remotely associated.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
fukk it, Phil need to get Satya to take that same $10B to get Sega; Asobo, Three Fields Entertainment (Burnout 3 devs), Remedy, and Metalhead Software.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Why would they sell themselves to a company who can't manage their platforms. Nobody is competing with this platform on features level. It's like Microsoft trying to buy twitch. the company actually cares about the product and their userbase.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
Slack just got purchased for near $30 billion just four months ago. :francis:

This is a different scenario than just standalone platform purchases. MS needs Discord more than Discord needs them. MS is trying to fill a gap in their Skype setup to make a push for gamers, and dovetail that with business comms that Skype/Teams already covers. Slack is in direct competition with those last two and has better app connectivity(Dropbox, Adobe CC, Google Drive, etc). Add in Discord to Skype/Teams + the entire MS 365 lineup and that's a pretty big deal.

IMO ten billion is lowballing, but eh :manny:
I agree with you premise but Slack and Discord are fundamentally different products and the backend platfrom is night and day to justify Slacks' value.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
To keep it simple, Discord's heart is WebRTC and built primarily using Elixir making it much easier to develop for. Slack's application edge cache Flannel alone makes it quite a bit more complex for developing but that same scaling technology could potentially be leveraged for other application uses. Both apps handling their unique workload scaling in an interesting way but Slack would require a lot more enterprise manpower to continue to develop and maintain versus Discord.

Slack Engineering -

Discord's Internal Infrastructure | Unofficial Discord API Docs

ultimatemike

I'm about a dollar..
Daps
companies didn't learn from that Myspace deal.. no one out here trying to pay more then $10B+ for Discord..

should've cashed in ASAP.