Digital media "ownership" is just a long term rental

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Okay? I'm very confused what my post about us finding out the new Avatar game requires a day one patch to play online has to do with what anything you're taking about.

My post was just calling out Ubisoft for stupid bullshyt regarding a physical title
I'm agreeing with you. Games need patches and updates out the box and I hate that shyt. And now some games are online only, even for full price (like payday 3). So technically I don't own it, because if their servers are down, I can't play it (on console), since I do have it on my pc with a mod I can play offline, no internet required, which is the way games should be.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
I'm agreeing with you. Games need patches and updates out the box and I hate that shyt. And now some games are online only, even for full price (like payday 3). So technically I don't own it, because if their servers are down, I can't play it (on console), since I do have it on my pc with a mod I can play offline, no internet required, which is the way games should be.

Ah my bad, but yeah, it's trash as fukk seeing physical media being reduced to just codes of games or anything that you can't just insert and play right away. Even if it's missing a day one worth. Basically selling physical coasters.

Idk why it's so hard to implement an online portion for those connected that syncs with the offline saves/progression when it's connected. They claim cheating but in a single player game, who gives a fukk. Hitman got a lot of flak for all progression being tied to online so if you're playing offline you don't even unlock shyt.

It's dumb as fukk - trainers and hacks aren't gonna disappear; especially in that game where nikkas are obviously glitching for 1 min time assassinations and shyt

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Technically I own payday 3, but when the server was down, I couldn't play it. I did pop in my cartridge version of payday 2 for switch. They won't ever release a physical for payday 3, it'll always require internet access.
Payday is an online game right?

Disc wouldn’t work either with the server down.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ah my bad, but yeah, it's trash as fukk seeing physical media being reduced to just codes of games or anything that you can't just insert and play right away. Even if it's missing a day one worth. Basically selling physical coasters.

Idk why it's so hard to implement an online portion for those connected that syncs with the offline saves/progression when it's connected. They claim cheating but in a single player game, who gives a fukk. Hitman got a lot of flak for all progression being tied to online so if you're playing offline you don't even unlock shyt.

It's dumb as fukk - trainers and hacks aren't gonna disappear; especially in that game where nikkas are obviously glitching for 1 min time assassinations and shyt

I agree with you, my thing with payday 3, is sometimes it's just fun to run and gun, or try things in ways that don't really count for anything. Like practice :aicmon:

I was so pissed the first week of payday 3, I didn't want to be online, I wanted to sneak around the levels or go in guns blazing, start shootouts and shyt. But I couldn't

I guess if you really spend an hour and 20 mins sneaking around a level, or shooting people, you should get credit for the work you put in right? Even if you go to the park and dribble and you around you don't gain much, but you get a little experience, knock some cob webs off. So I see why the game wants you online...I guess, but they could save data and upload when you connect.

Without a connection you can't get doc, which they hate. And they can't "feed" you perks like skins and weapons.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Payday is an online game right?

Disc wouldn’t work either with the server down.
Which means I don't own the motherfukker or "I own it, I just can't play, when I want to play or without permission" which isn't ownership.

On the PC version it's installed on your hard drive and there's a mod that lets you play the game without connecting to a server.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Which means I don't own the motherfukker or "I own it, I just can't play, when I want to play or without permission" which isn't ownership.

On the PC version it's installed on your hard drive and there's a mod that lets you play the game without connecting to a server.
:what: the hell are you even arguing here??

In your example the PC digital version is giving you more rights than the disc version.

It’s like y’all just wanna find a way to argue something that’s not there.

For online games digital or physical if the server is down you can’t play

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:what: the hell are you even arguing here??

In your example the PC digital version is giving you more rights than the disc version.

It’s like y’all just wanna find a way to argue something that’s not there.

For online games digital or physical if the server is down you can’t play

The PC version is a hack, a mod. Not something offered by the company and of course they are trying to patch that. And this game is for sale on Xbox x and PS5. Theres no console hacks or work arounds and the company says they aren't going to make it available to play offline. Therefore if you paid 60, 70, or 99 or whatever price for a console version you basically paid for an *unlimited rental meaning when their server is up, when they say ok you can play.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The PC version is a hack, a mod. Not something offered by the company and of course they are trying to patch that. And this game is for sale on Xbox x and PS5. Theres no console hacks or work arounds and the company says they aren't going to make it available to play offline. Therefore if you paid 60, 70, or 99 or whatever price for a console version you basically paid for an *unlimited rental meaning when their server is up, when they say ok you can play.
That’s every online game. has nothing to do with digital or physical.

Destiny and GTA online have been known to take content away that people paid for. That’s definitely something to consider when spending a bunch of money on those online games. I usually don’t buy or spend money on those types of games:manny:

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That’s every online game. has nothing to do with digital or physical.

Destiny and GTA online have been known to take content away that people paid for. That’s definitely something to consider when spending a bunch of money on those online games. I usually don’t buy or spend money on those types of games:manny:
Do you believe that more games are going to abandon physical media and go to download only?

And if so do you think they'll eventually adopt online only?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Do you believe that more games are going to abandon physical media and go to download only?

And if so do you think they'll eventually adopt online only?
I think gamers will put up enough stink that offline single player games will always be playable offline.

But i do think there’s a future(a long time from now) where local hardware will fall out of favor and everything will be in the cloud.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think gamers will put up enough stink that offline single player games will always be playable offline.
They've been raising that stink for a while but they still buy.

The industry will always win. Can barely get any decent couch co-op, two/multiplayer games anymore, just connect with your friends! Or someone in Vietnam! (The information super highway)

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
They've been raising that stink for a while but they still buy.

The industry will always win. Can barely get any decent couch co-op, two/multiplayer games anymore, just connect with your friends! Or someone in Vietnam! (The information super highway)
I think it’s two different crowds. The Fortnight crowd don’t give af. They will spend hundreds of dollars on skins they don’t even plan to use passed a couple days.

What people consider the “hardcore” gaming crowd cares about game preservation and fairness, and consumer rights etc.

Problem is, the Fortnight crowd is willing to spend more money so they usually win.

“Hardcore” gamers be talking about how much they are entitled to, but still doing broke boy shyt like trading games in or bragging about how they are waiting for steam sales to get games for $8

Imo AAA gaming is gonna have to start charging more money or it will go away.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think it’s two different crowds. The Fortnight crowd don’t give af. They will spend hundreds of dollars on skins they don’t even plan to use passed a couple days.

What people consider the “hardcore” gaming crowd cares about game preservation and fairness, and consumer rights etc.

Problem is, the Fortnight crowd is willing to spend more money so they usually win.

“Hardcore” gamers be talking about how much they are entitled to, but still doing broke boy shyt like trading games in or bragging about how they are waiting for steam sales to get games for $8

Imo AAA gaming is gonna have to start charging more money or it will go away.

Unfortunately the hardcore gamers are dying. We have a generation of gamers that game thatve never owned a physical copy. Never walked into best buy, target, Walmart, GameStop for a game. Maybe for a game card. But not a game.