Digital media "ownership" is just a long term rental

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
e
@MeachTheMonster @winb83

I don't know that systems download movies to your hard drive as I've never downloaded a movie on a console, but like i was saying if they delist it and you 'bought' it, well it just sucks to be you.
This is a different situation because streaming rights were purchased not a digital copy of the movies.

Lots of places sell digital copies of movies in which you download and keep them for yourself.

Something like this you are at the mercy of their servers. I wouldnt recommend “buying” any content that you can’t store locally.

Pazzy

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They absolutely can not.

Breh read this

If they can do that to the discovery digital content, you dont think they can do that to video games in digital format as well? Digital content doesnt exactly constitute as ownership if you dont have the hard copy that the content came from. This is the downside to all this streaming shyt and better believe, people arent saving or learning how to make a copy for themselves so they can secure the content. It just makes it easier for them to remove whatever in the event of a lawsuit or a contractual dispute like this.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Breh read this

If they can do that to the discovery digital content, you dont think they can do that to video games in digital format as well? Digital content doesnt exactly constitute as ownership if you dont have the hard copy that the content came from. This is the downside to all this streaming shyt and better believe, people arent saving or learning how to make a copy for themselves so they can secure the content. It just makes it easier for them to remove whatever in the event of a lawsuit or a contractual dispute like this.
Again this is streaming content. Not content people already have stored locally.

With digital game content you have a “hard copy stored locally. It’s literally called a Hard Disc Drive. Same as having a disc.

Pazzy

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Again this is streaming content. Not content people already have stored locally.

With digital game content you have a “hard copy stored locally. It’s literally called a Hard Disc Drive. Same as having a disc.

I know theres a hard disc drive. They have access to it. They can remove the content from your hard drive just like they let you download from their server. If you have a disc, you can upload the file back to your ps5 if they remove the content from your system. Thats the point. I get the marketing ploy of digital, you dont have to go to the store to get the game when it comes out, you download it at midnight or you dont have to have the store discs and have clutter. Yet its not a sure bet because if your game gets corrupted, you may have to remove it and pay to download it again IF its there. A disc is just an insurance policy.

Last edited:

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

And how are games that you've downloaded any different than mp3s? You could download them to your iPod, zune or even limewire/bearshare and regardless of whether you have the files and could play them anywhere, once you plugged in and synced up drm would scan and ban. It wasn't bad on the zune but i have an old iPod with a gang of albums that simply won't play due to drm, but the files play everywhere else. I have an app that decodes the files on my iPod that i use to transfer shyt back and forth because I've lost songs and i literally had to get them from my old iPod kind of like a backup hard drive, decode them then drag them to my laptop as an mp3.

Why couldn't or wouldn't they do that for games? And once again I'm out the loop but can you just take a hard drive and plug it in to a different PlayStation or Xbox and play? Or do you have to sign in with PlayStation or Xbox?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
And how are games that you've downloaded any different than mp3s? You could download them to your iPod, zune or even limewire/bearshare and regardless of whether you have the files and could play them anywhere, once you plugged in and synced up drm would scan and ban. It wasn't bad on the zune but i have an old iPod with a gang of albums that simply won't play due to drm, but the files play everywhere else. I have an app that decodes the files on my iPod that i use to transfer shyt back and forth because I've lost songs and i literally had to get them from my old iPod kind of like a backup hard drive, decode them then drag them to my laptop as an mp3.

Why couldn't or wouldn't they do that for games? And once again I'm out the loop but can you just take a hard drive and plug it in to a different PlayStation or Xbox and play? Or do you have to sign in with PlayStation or Xbox?
Both are plug n play. You can take your drive out of your Ps5. Xbox has external memory cards.

Either way you can plug them into any PS5 or xbox and play.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
New Avatar game can't even be played without first going online and downloading a patch.n

Both are plug n play. You can take your drive out of your Ps5. Xbox has external memory cards.

Either way you can plug them into any PS5 or xbox and play.

Technically I own payday 3, but when the server was down, I couldn't play it. I did pop in my cartridge version of payday 2 for switch. They won't ever release a physical for payday 3, it'll always require internet access.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
Technically I own payday 3, but when the server was down, I couldn't play it. I did pop in my cartridge version of payday 2 for switch. They won't ever release a physical for payday 3, it'll always require internet access.

fukk did you quote me for lol

And they absolutely have physical copies of Payday 3. A game being online only doesn't mean they won't drop a physical version.

Payday 3 is just always online for some strange ass reason

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
fukk did you quote me for lol

And they absolutely have physical copies of Payday 3. A game being online only doesn't mean they won't drop a physical version.

Payday 3 is just always online for some strange ass reason
Cause you said first thing you need to do with avatar is patch.

Since its online only, consoles don't have a way around bypassing that. There's no cheat code or console mod. You can't play the game without internet on console. On pc/gamepass/steam you can, I have that mod.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
Cause you said first thing you need to do with avatar is patch.

Since its online only, consoles don't have a way around bypassing that. There's no cheat code or console mod. You can't play the game without internet on console. On pc/gamepass/steam you can, I have that mod.

Okay? I'm very confused what my post about us finding out the new Avatar game requires a day one patch to play online has to do with what anything you're taking about.

And you can after play offline after that patch. Idk what you using the Internet to download a mod has to do with the game needing Internet to download a day one patch to play offline. At that point, they're essentially the same thing.

My post was just calling out Ubisoft for stupid bullshyt regarding a physical title