Digital Foundry: The long rumored “Switch Pro”. was cancelled internally to focus on the successor.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They don't have to release ground breaking tech, but having something within the scope of current tech makes it so that they can get more games. Having games that are downgraded, 30fps and/or completely skipping the platform is a result of weak hardware. I mean this weak hardware trend started after the Gamecube.

When they released the GC, some of their most critically acclaimed games were on a "powerful" console that was in between the PS2 and Xbox at the time so the "don't need AAA games" argument is moot imo. Nintendo being known for lesser hardware and "gameplay over graphics" is a relatively new thing. The SNES, N64, GC, and their handheld releases all were powerful at the time of release.

Pretty much.

Why should a company like square enix or capcom have to make a completely different version of Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest just because of their weak hardware?

They should be doing just enough so that downporting for the hardware isn’t considered a “miracle” and something more similar to downporting a PS4 Pro at least.

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
They really gonna drop a new Zelda on old hardware:gucci:
No surprises there. :pachaha:

BotW and Twilight Princess were released in two consoles.
I want the new console to play switch games and upscale and optimize the shyt out of them.

It's absolutely ridiculous that you can get a better experience emulating a current gen console than playing it legit
This. In my book, the only possible argument for a Switch Pro would be having it run the games on 60fps.

Don't forget the chip shortage during the pandemic derailing a lot of plans.

With that said...

fukk Switch Pros, and any kind of new hardware until Metroid Prime 4 drops. And Metroid Prime Trilogy HD better come with it too. :ufdup:

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
lol wasn't the pro de sucesor? Whatever we have steam decks now, I'll play Zelda and Fire Emblem in the swicht 2 emu that will be released like 6 months after the console.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
They don't have to release ground breaking tech, but having something within the scope of current tech makes it so that they can get more games. Having games that are downgraded, 30fps and/or completely skipping the platform is a result of weak hardware. I mean this weak hardware trend started after the Gamecube.

When they released the GC, some of their most critically acclaimed games were on a "powerful" console that was in between the PS2 and Xbox at the time so the "don't need AAA games" argument is moot imo. Nintendo being known for lesser hardware and "gameplay over graphics" is a relatively new thing. The SNES, N64, GC, and their handheld releases all were powerful at the time of release.
It makes me question why they not going harder, they might not have the money to compete hardware wise
Maybe Japan got a behind the scenes understanding/deal that Nintendo will be casual and Sony will be tech heavy

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It makes me question why they not going harder, they might not have the money to compete hardware wise
Maybe Japan got a behind the scenes understanding/deal that Nintendo will be casual and Sony will be tech heavy

Because Nintendo is extremely profit driven and they not gonna release new hardware until they can hit a sweet spot where the tech is superior to the current version they have while not having to be a loss leader for them. Nintendo ain’t breaking the bank for a state of the art battery or SSD, they aren’t gonna price their consoles like Sony or Microsoft either.

Plus, the pandemic probably slowed everything down by a year.

Also, Nintendo has no other business sector to lean on if their consoles aren’t generating profit. They don’t make a lot of money off in-game money or 3rd party games

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Good

No need for a pro, just do a completely new system.

Although I hope they stick with the mobile part of the design

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

It all boils down to this; Nintendo is fine being your sidepiece. They don't care about being your main unless you're in their target audience and those people don't care about the Maddens, or the Call of Duties, or the Grand Theft Autos because most of them aren't old enough to buy them anyway. The ones that want those get them somewhere else.

What you're talking about pushes Nintendo back towards the sector of the market they surrendered to Sony. That's not a good fight for them.

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
Because Nintendo is extremely profit driven and they not gonna release new hardware until they can hit a sweet spot where the tech is superior to the current version they have while not having to be a loss leader for them. Nintendo ain’t breaking the bank for a state of the art battery or SSD, they aren’t gonna price their consoles like Sony or Microsoft either.

Plus, the pandemic probably slowed everything down by a year.

Also, Nintendo has no other business sector to lean on if their consoles aren’t generating profit. They don’t make a lot of money off in-game money or 3rd party games
Not to mention they have zero incentive to jump into the console wars when they carved an extremely lucrative niche for themselves. Sales-wise, Nintendo is thriving.

The N64's and especially GC's failure to rule the market are to blame for that. Of course, there were some silly hardware decisions involved like the N64 using carts, but the point stands.

They had the option of sticking in the console wars or downgrading and relying on gimmicks and their own exclusives. Ultimately, it proved to be the most profitable option for them.

Of course, I'd like to see games like BotW with a next-gen look, but it is what it is. Their games are still very enjoyable. Hell, people still find new things about BotW to this day. I'm not sure that would be the case if the devs could sell Nintendo games on typical "crazy graphics" marketing.