Did you know Nova Scotia, Canada has an FBA/African American population that was formed from escaped slaves. The population still exists today

COLI MANDINGO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Chi
I think AA's had a great presence in south Ontario too, around St. Catherine

Did they and what did teach you (US Posters) about the underground railroad when you growing up? Up here I remember hearing about africville during BHM.

I remember being 9 and meeting a Black Canadians girl who's family was from Nova Scotia through and through. It was funny because I've never met any black person who didn't immigrate to Canada before.

Me: I'm from Jamaica, where you from?
:pachaha:
Her: Nova Scotia
:myman:
Me: cool, I'm from Ontario but my parents are Jamaican, where are yours from?
:ohhh:
:lupe:
Me: alright, alright your grandparents?
:comeon:
:francis:
Men: your great grandparents
:wtf:
:aicmon:
šŸ˜‚ I get those questions outside of USAā€¦ ā€œnah nah where are you really from? Whereā€™s your family fromā€ left me confused at first. Because the blacks in Europe are usually descendants of recent immigrants. I get it now

And your question about the Underground Railroadā€¦ looking back, I donā€™t remember teachers really giving us a specific location or city folks would go to. They just said theyā€™d travel up north towards freedom. Crossed the mason dixon line. They mentioned Canada but not a specific area. They just say, ā€œsome went to Canadaā€

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Daps
The migration was largely influenced by Josiah Henson -- The Real Uncle Tom.

Josiah Henson was an important historical figure known for his association with the Underground Railroad and for his work as a prominent Black abolitionist. He was born into slavery in Maryland, USA, in 1789. Henson escaped from slavery and eventually settled in Canada.

Josiah Henson and his family settled in Upper Canada (now Ontario) in the early 1830s, and he became a prominent community leader and preacher. He also founded a settlement for fugitive slaves called the Dawn Settlement, near Dresden, Ontario. This settlement provided a refuge for many African Americans who had escaped from slavery in the United States.

josiah-henson-1789-1883-canada-stamp.jpg

118343711_189643749230506_1359223568842288378_n.jpg

Afro Nova Scotians came over before Henson. After the American Revolutionary War

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
You have the mascogos which is a branch of afro seminoles who were largely gullah/geechie people escaped to florida and live amongst the seminole indians and then settled in coahuila, Mexico
after the seminole wars

The TnT community are called the Merikans were are descendants of Black Loyalists who were escaped slaves fought the British in the Revolutionary War and war of 1812 in exchange for their freedom. They were allowed to settle in TnT afterwards

The Dominican Republic's Community is called the Samana Americans
They were allowed to move there by President Petion when Haiti owned the Dominican Republic and remained there after they got their independence. They intermarried with the Cocolos a community of english speaking black folks who immigrated from the carribbean due to similar culture such as religion and language

The Bahamas has multiple unique communities of Afro American descedant people.
You have another branch of the black Loyalists from both aforementioned wars

another branch of afro seminoles on red bayes andros island

gullah geechie people who were sold to the Bahamas due to often trading people back and forth. Because of this gullah and bahamian creole share some terms in common and the accents are said to be similar.

They made it to Europe, Jamaica and Sierra Leone too

DvKtKRP.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The migration was largely influenced by Josiah Henson -- The Real Uncle Tom.

Josiah Henson was an important historical figure known for his association with the Underground Railroad and for his work as a prominent Black abolitionist. He was born into slavery in Maryland, USA, in 1789. Henson escaped from slavery and eventually settled in Canada.

Josiah Henson and his family settled in Upper Canada (now Ontario) in the early 1830s, and he became a prominent community leader and preacher. He also founded a settlement for fugitive slaves called the Dawn Settlement, near Dresden, Ontario. This settlement provided a refuge for many African Americans who had escaped from slavery in the United States.

josiah-henson-1789-1883-canada-stamp.jpg

118343711_189643749230506_1359223568842288378_n.jpg

Related to Matthew Henson and Taraji