Did Russell Simmons sellout Hip Hop? Curtis Sc00n goes in on twitter. updated

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
some of the realest sh!t ever said about the industry.

Curtis Sc00n:

So how did Lyor Cohen become such a factor in urban music? Who is the guy? Lyor is an Israeli who followed a tried and tested blueprint.

That blueprint or formula is: INFILTRATE, ASSIMILATE, DOMINATE. It's a technique used repeatedly to exploit unsuspecting people.

The story goes Lyor was a club manager or owner or something. I'm not sure but he was involved with booking Run-DMC out in Cali way back.

People like Lyor can be shameless ass kissers when presented with financially rewarding opportunity. But don't ever let that fool you

They'll kiss your ass and kiss it clean if it'll get them where they want to be and they expect the same when they get on top.

Allegedly, Lyor procured all manner of cheap women and drugs for the group and entourage whenever in town. Schmoozing effortlessly

Quickly bypassing the peons from Hollis who were probably on their first experience out of Queens much less NY, He got in contact with Russ.

Had Lyor been black I doubt Russell would've taken his overtures seriously but he did and he brought a complete stranger back to NY to rule

Sadly, some of the biggest discriminators against black people are fellow blacks. We just don't trust each other and interlopers exploit it.

As an employer of more black folk than you can shake a stick at I will tell you the lack of respect is systemic!!

I've concluded to make it with your honor and integrity intact you have to be 2x as smart, work 3x as hard and be content with 1/2 the pay.

Among the black community at least any half ass white boy like Lyor can pop up and sell himself as someone of value and nearly dupe everyone

However, they can't do it without the help of sellouts like Russell. Oh and we have plenty in our ranks. A good house cleaning is in order.

Russell Simmons brought Lyor back east and showed him exactly how to manipulate and exploit his own people only to be Lyor's victim himself.

Like the Africans who sold their fellow Africans into bondage only to end up on the last ship, Russell now finds himself as a rent-a-negro.

A damn dummy comfortably fitting on the lap of corporate interests as they play ventriloquist and put offensive words in his mouth.

Curtis continues

And the dope man gives away turkeys every Thanksgiving. Token gestures will not absolve betrayal.

At some point, and I'm not sure of the details Def Jam was in danger of folding. I believe it was Polygram that came to the rescue.

I didn't work in the business so all I was privy to was gossip and hearsay but supposedly Lyor was instrumental in saving the company.

I've heard of Israeli financiers and backing coming to save the day. Whatever happened Lyor's role greatly increased at Russell's expense.

Of course Russell would remain the face of Def Jam. After all we gotta have somebody to believe in. Makes us feel like part of the process.

To Lyor's credit he turned the company around. Maybe he had more motivation to do so. Whereas Russell benefitted from timing Lyor was shrewd

As Russell's role diminished Lyor utilized Kevin Liles. A nonthreatening type who'd be compliant and appreciative. Kevin was from Baltimore.

Kevin didn't know shyt about hip hop. In Baltimore he was a member of a 'house" group called "Teddy and The Basement Boys" and a songwriter.

He helped pen the mega hit "Girl You Know It's True" by Milli Vanilli. Odd credentials for a rap executive. There was also Todd Moscowitz.

Todd was a law student who interned with Lyor but for some reason Lyor groomed him for great things. I guess he was smarter than everyone.

When Edgar Bronfman left Universal to invest in Warner he took Lyor Cohen and Todd Moscowitz. Kevin went too but his usefulness expired.

Todd was a great protege as evidenced by the deals he signed artists to at Asylum, the imprint under Warner he controlled.

Through Todd I think Lyor perfected the raping of the artists he learned or started at Rush mgmt. Now Wiz Khalifa is on the 360 plantation.

Meanwhile Russell sells Rush cards and Kevin Liles awaits lightning to strike twice.

YourMumsRoom

Black Excellence
Daps
Reppin
Where I shouldn't be
Its alot deeper then this. But it is a FACT that Lyor is now more relevant in music then Russell, who seems like a statue in a case; remembered for how important he 'used' to be!

Black smoke and cac jokes

Your daps are mine
Daps
Its alot deeper then this. But it is a FACT that Lyor is now more relevant in music then Russell, who seems like a statue in a case; remembered for how important he 'used' to be!

off-topic, lol where's CR's excellence in euro12?

I didn't know that shyt...that's crazy, the nikka Lyor came in and crushed the buildings snoop style...

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What type of nikka do yoga:childplease:? And name his kids asian names like Xiung Chi like they ain't half black too?

john goodman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Meh

Lyor is a good business man and he worked hard to be where he's at

Who's to say russel and def jam would've been half of successful as he's been without Cohen's help, seems like a mutually beneficial relationship to me

You guys sound jealous

john goodman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia

Who cares about being relevant in music?

Russell's making money in other ventures, the music industry just isn't what it used to be

dre

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY/DC
Meh

Lyor is a good business man and he worked hard to be where he's at

Who's to say russel and def jam would've been half of successful as he's been without Cohen's help, seems like a mutually beneficial relationship to me

You guys sound jealous

I hate when people rebut a well thought out analysis with generalities and accusations like this..what does being jealous have to do with the facts of what Sc00n was saying here

john goodman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
I hate when people rebut a well thought out analysis with generalities and accusations like this..what does being jealous have to do with the facts of what Sc00n was saying here

What facts?

The facts are that Lyor was involved in def jam for years and helped build that label into a powerhouse. Thus helping make money for guys like russell, irv gotti, Kevin liles etc and himself. Lol You can't hate on a guy for being good at his job just because he's jewish.

Edit: and let's not forget that russell didnt start def jam by himself. There's a white guy named Rick rubin you know...

dre

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY/DC
What facts?

The facts are that Lyor was involved in def jam for years and helped build that label into a powerhouse. Thus helping make money for guys like russell, irv gotti, Kevin liles etc and himself. Lol You can't hate on a guy for being good at his job just because he's jewish.

Edit: and let's not forget that russell didnt start def jam by himself. There's a white guy named Rick rubin you know...

It's funny like Sc00n said that Lyor muscled his way from a hanger on to a partner to having more clout then Russell in 2012.

And let's not pretend that was all because Russell willingly fell back

Change

All Star
Daps
You can gather every single artist on Def Jam for 20 years that were under Lyor and they'll all tell you he was the best at what he did. You won't find one that won't say Lyor was the best and got shyt done.