Did Dre lose anything for not releasing Detox?

SwagKingKong

All Star
Daps
I had a conversation with a music producer who's been in the game for almost 20 years and when we talked Dre came up and he told me straight up that Dre is too scared to drop an album. He feels like he got everything to lose on it because his two albums are classics.. He just doesn't have the belief in himself that he'll be able to pull another one off.. I agree with this.

Yagirlcheatinonus

Icon Poster
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I had a conversation with a music producer who's been in the game for almost 20 years and when we talked Dre came up and he told me straight up that Dre is too scared to drop an album. He feels like he got everything to lose on it because his two albums are classics.. He just doesn't have the belief in himself that he'll be able to pull another one off.. I agree with this.

Thats what I said earlier but its impossible to top Chroic, and Chronic 2001. Especially in an era where its not about albums but more so singles and ringtones. etc

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always said...Dr.Dre will never drop Detox because he knows the hip-hop isn't the same and what is he going to talk about in the new generation? he can't talk about like he did on the The Chronic and 2001....the way how hip-hop changed and I can see why he can't release Detox and he's scared to get failed like he did with The Aftermath album in 96 and nobody gives a f*ck about that album.

His biggest mistake was he waiting too long. He could have dropped after The Documentary dropped, due Shady, G-Unit, etc was getting popular. In my opinion, I think The Game vs 50 Cent (G-Unit) era ruined Detox chance.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
He lost respect.

Even if Detox wasn't on the level of The Chronic his legacy would still be greater if it was a good album. Look at Nas and Jay-Z. Their last few albums weren't on the same level as Illmatic and RD yet if you asked most people they would still say they grew as artists and their legacy is greater than it was 15 years ago.

Dre thinks that because he played it safe and didn't drop a dud his legacy is still untarnished. But he's wrong. People will remember how he jerked his fans around for years. People will remember he was too much of a coward to release another album. That shyt will impact his legacy just as much as a bad album would have...

Yagirlcheatinonus

Icon Poster
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think Dre could create that sound similiar just listen to Kush. Its just the climate of music is different. He's from the tape cassette/cd era. Alot of theis new generation don't listen to full albums. Do Dre still have a solid fanbase?

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
he lost credibility because he's scared to fail so he'd rather not drop anything than fail.

he's out of GOAT discussions as far as i'm concerned.

Ninjaz In Paris

ehyeh ašer ehyeh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Arcturus
I remember a year & a half ago I was kicking it with some OG's out here in LA & we brought up music & these nikkaz was really talking about how when Detox drops it's gonna go diamond & they were DEAD fukkING SERIOUS...

I'm like nikka the industry has changed... :wtf:

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
The general public lost interest in detox years ago

And kanye already dropped the hip hop masterpiece wit mbdtf

Dre is old news

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:ohhh:

Na he had singles circulating out here the buzz just wasn't what he wanted. I mean Dre don't have an average solo album. I think he wasn't feeling the reception because people wasn't buying into it.

The entire 12 or so years since he's announced Detox, he's only released two singles ("I Need A Doctor" and "Kush"). Everything else was unfinished. Songs like "Under Pressure" didn't even have a hook/chorus and parts where the beat just plays. A lot of the songs didn't even have Dre on them.