Did 50 Cent kill NYC hip hop? Edit: especially by him coming at every big nyc artist at the time

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Na, jews and terrible label exec managers, PRs and cacs killed NY hip hop.

It was becoming too empowering for black folk so they had to dumb it down by pivoting from managing the drug dealers and pimps rapping....

And bring to it the level of drug addicts, coọns, sell outs, culture vultures and prostitutes who they can more easily control, manipulate and advertise to a younger generation.

Hence, the south is thriving.
c00ns, Vultures, the south thriving…

DonB90

Superstar
Daps
It died when everybody adopted one sound
This.

NY stopped sounding like NY. Adopted southern beats and style of rapping and since Giuliana(purpose misspell)cleaned up the streets it lost that gritty Shook Ones II type of sound you can't fake that.

Copying southern rap and copying LA gangs is not the NYC I remember Y'all use to have your own style And say what you want about NYers being arrogant and slightly annoying but we did respect you and the originality you use to have when you started dikk ridin is when you fell off

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
nikkas would rather believe 1 man was responsible for NY's falloff than give the South credit for dominating on its own merits rather they like the music or not.

NYC nikkas was already on some crab shyt before, during and after 50. while NY nikkas was trying to clown/expose each other on DVDs, The south was experiencing a renaissance. By the time NY nikkas stopped fighting and start screaming "New York City stand up:damn:" it was too late, the south was outta here.

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
nikkas would rather believe 1 man was responsible for NY's falloff than give the South credit for dominating on its own merits rather they like the music or not.

NYC nikkas was already on some crab shyt before, during and after 50. while NY nikkas was trying to clown/expose each other on DVDs, The south was experiencing a renaissance. By the time NY nikkas stopped fighting and start screaming "New York City stand up:damn:" it was too late, the south was outta here.
The whole "King of NY" thing was around before 50. Notably Jay vs Nas was about that in many ways. In a lot of ways, the culture of the city just doesn't promote sustainability like that: everyone for themselves, the rat race etc.

In Atlanta, for example, established artists put on new kids, and old timers work with both who's hot and coming up. A lot more support across the board (sure there are beefs but that's human nature). Whereas in NY, anyone coming up was seen as a threat to whoever was on top.

50 mastered the art form, but that culture and mentality was there before he dropped "How to Rob".

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps
Whether he killed it or not, I take issue with "it may have even been a bit better than the 90s era."
How you shoot a stray like that? not only is it flat out wrong, it's not even arguable.
90s rule forever
:flabbynsick:

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps

Oh please. You can proud of that barless early 00 southern rap if you want to. 50 wasnt putting music out that got him on the stage in NY outside of gimmicky how to rob. He needed an outta towner to get his biggest hit. Wasnt shyt organically NY about In the Club that came from the streets here and to the masses at large.

I get youre proud of the south taking the gimmick club anthem and making it a thing, but the south wasnt doing anything different than what 50 was doing. It was 100% making music for the club that no longer needed the streets to validate you. Thats where you saw NY hip hop fall off a cliff and sound as wack as the rest of the shyt out during that time. 50, the south, dip set and all these dudes around that time should be thankful for social media changing the hip hop landscape.

All you have to do is watch the Lox vs Dipset to see how social media changed hip hop.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
You a Flawda boy like me so you already know... Fif is the only dude from NY on the early/mid 2000s i seen that got real play down here cause we were not fukking with Jim Jones and Cam with that Dipset/LOX shyt down here :skip:
Dipset came across as goofy as Eastcoast(up north dudes) thought of Bay Area rappers. To me at least. NY dudes would call E40 silly or whack, but that’s how I used to think of Cam and Jim Jones and that whole mid 00s Harlem wave. Especially MaxB. The NY kids loved it, but it all came across so silly. I don’t know what Harlem was on. :mjlol:

Late 90s cam was cool. Early 00s cam(Boy oh boy) was cool. Juelz early 00 run was cool. But that mid 00s post purple haze Harlem wave was just silliness on steroids. I didn’t get their hype. I was NOT fukkin with the Dipset wave by 2004.

Ppl look at that era with nostalgia, and almost 20yrs later, I still don’t get what they saw. Ballin was a silly song too. :mjlol:

Last edited:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
50 cent might be an agent

COINTELPRO Curtis is his true name.

Went to war against credible acts like D Block, Nas, Dipset, Terror Squad, and load others when NY needed unity to go against the south and its cultural norms of tricking, strip club culture, and so on.

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self

Remember nyc used to be on top?

I was choppin it up with my bro… and he was like… “50 cent killed nyc hip hop by dissing and attacking everybody”

Those facts? The timeline does add up tho.

:lupe: shyt ain’t been the same since

This was actually a very popular sentiment in the mid to late 2000s, when New York rappers became caricatures. People completely forget that.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
He was also a fake 2pac clone.
Shirtless, tattoos, endless beef.

50 saw what beef and diss tracks did for 2Pacs career and he brought that same mess to NY.

People's love for drama is why NY exchanged all the amazing talent they had for 50 cent..now they're stuck with 50 and all the rapper’s are gone.