Did 50 Cent kill NYC hip hop? Edit: especially by him coming at every big nyc artist at the time

#BOTHSIDES

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The Chi
NY hip hop never died. Other regions just caught up and in the case of the south surpassed NY. But there is still no other city in the country where you can feel the fabric of hip hop like you can in NY
Nah breh… nyc music fell off… and didn’t really make a come back til nyc nikkas started sounding like south nikkas..asap crew

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
NY hip hop never died. Other regions just caught up and in the case of the south surpassed NY. But there is still no other city in the country where you can feel the fabric of hip hop like you can in NY
The city that invented hip hop will always be relevant. The problem is rap as a genre is too youth focused and doesn't really reward those who paved the way.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Nah breh… nyc music fell off… and didn’t really make a come back til nyc nikkas started sounding like south nikkas..asap crew
Yea I felt that way at one point but then I realized that rappers from other regions were putting out better music that they ever had. NY was still putting out good shyt tho

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
The city that invented hip hop will always be relevant. The problem is rap as a genre is too youth focused and doesn't really reward those who paved the way.
I think that’s where NY kinda fukked up. NY hip hop was always about pushing forward and getting the old school out the paint. Meanwhile other regions always propped up their OGs

#BOTHSIDES

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The Chi
shyt man… yall remember NYC had the mixtape scene on lock.

Yall east coast nyc folks had smack dvd
Dipset was droppin movies and mixtapes. Had the streets on fire

NYC had rap battles that took the internet by storm... NYC was on another level :banderas:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Weren't well-rounded.

You had street hype over guys like Joel Ortiz but guys like that just aren't on that level.
There's a coli poster on here who is a big Lloyd Banks stan. I mean come on man.
Which era are you talking about? Post Nas vs Jay beef?

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
As someone who has followed the music for over 30 years, and who has been in NYC during the peak of Wu Nas, etc and someone who performed as an emcee and knows the history, in retrospect "gangsta rap" killed hip hop.

I say this as someone who liked artists that produced crime related rap. However, once this became the dominating element of the music, gone was the VARIETY mainstream wise. Gone was the Public Enemies, Das EFX, De Las, Tribes, Big Daddy Kanes, Rakims, Jungle Brothers etc. etc and what replaced it was almost entirely criminal rap. The issue wasn't that in and of itself, but how it killed variety in subject matter.

It was a slow descent to present times culminating in black youth actually worshipping a goddamn serial killer in King Von. See, over time it didn't do for acts to be tangentially associated with crime, the natural progression was that the artists themselves needed to be hardcore gangsters and even actual killers - that's "real".

People that grew up not knowing a time before this, don't even blink at acts talking about killing ns 50 times a song, rampant murders of rappers, etc. It's all just part of the "entertainment".

I actually blame NYC. There came a fork in the road - become gangsta rap East to compete with the NWAs, Snoops, etc. or keep innovating as the originators of hip hop. NYC chose the former.

And there were artists back then that were sounding the alarm, but alas the tide was too strong to be stemmed.