Developers are trash talking the Series S at Gamescom

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Which gives me freedom on how much I wanna engage with people and shockingly, people don't like engaging with purposely disingenuous people. Especially for a pedantic debate about what defined indie when the company itself calls themselves indie, goes to indie showcases, Kickstarters their games, etc.

And highly ironic considering your daps and posts agreeing with you are literally a circlejerk of Sony fanboys, including a known nut.

nikka, you're now owed my attention nor a full response.
ok :yeshrug:
also a note: I cannot determine who daps things I post. Trying to use that against me is... disingenuous. You don't owe anyone attention, great. But YOU were the one in the last thread dapping people and then calling for neutrality and saying all the arguing was dumb. But now dap-policing?

Moreover, nothing I've said at all falls into that category. I've maintained a fairly simplistic stance in all of this. The S is shyt hardware being sold to people and it's bad corporate dealings.

And you again fail to read the original post you continue replying to where I quite literally stated that most indie studios are independent. But sure, try and trot out your thesaurus and your old notebook of SAT prep words to attempt to counter something that simple reading comprehension could manage. I noted that people can call themselves independent while not being. And your only continued point is... 'they call themselves that'.

So?

Rachel Dolezal called herself black.

What does what something calls itself matter in the face of the realities of what it is? It doesn't. You're the one playing a side - my side is that the Series S is weaker hardware than laptops these days and it is holding the generation back and Microsoft knew it would happen and did it on purpose.

but... that is gonna be too many words for you again.

Lemme simplify:

tl;dr Any studio can call itself independent.
If you cannot support yourself without direct cash infusion from a company that is supporting your existence to profit off of you to the exclusion of anyone else doing so... that is, quite literally, the opposite of what that word means. That is called dependence.

We can discuss the finer details of all sorts of things; there's grey in most things in life.
There's just no grey in the definition of the word independent.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
ok :yeshrug:
also a note: I cannot determine who daps things I post. Trying to use that against me is... disingenuous. You don't owe anyone attention, great. But YOU were the one in the last thread dapping people and then calling for neutrality and saying all the arguing was dumb. But now dap-policing?

Moreover, nothing I've said at all falls into that category. I've maintained a fairly simplistic stance in all of this. The S is shyt hardware being sold to people and it's bad corporate dealings.

And you again fail to read the original post you continue replying to where I quite literally stated that most indie studios are independent. But sure, try and trot out your thesaurus and your old notebook of SAT prep words to attempt to counter something that simple reading comprehension could manage. I noted that people can call themselves independent while not being. And your only continued point is... 'they call themselves that'.

So?

Rachel Dolezal called herself black.

What does what something calls itself matter in the face of the realities of what it is? It doesn't. You're the one playing a side - my side is that the Series S is weaker hardware than laptops these days and it is holding the generation back and Microsoft knew it would happen and did it on purpose.

but... that is gonna be too many words for you again.

Lemme simplify:

tl;dr Any studio can call itself independent.
If you cannot support yourself without direct cash infusion from a company that is supporting your existence to profit off of you to the exclusion of anyone else doing so... that is, quite literally, the opposite of what that word means. That is called dependence.

We can discuss the finer details of all sorts of things; there's grey in most things in life.
There's just no grey in the definition of the word independent.

So TL:DR they're independent. fukk are we discussing?

Bro implied I was dumb now I'm using SAT words and a thesaurus.

Why don't you pull out a dictionary and read what disingenuous means since you still obviously don't get it.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
reading comprehension on -5.

Carry on.

nikka tryna argue about Larian being indie when their Twitter literally says their independent.

nikka acting like people don't know what independent/indie mean.

nikka acting like saying that is a slight to the company.

nikka writing dissertations tryna find nuance in something they themselves claim

Lmao, take your smart dumb ass somewhere else pls

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
BG3 was self published, with funding from Kickstarter and Early Access. wtf is there to argue about? :dahell:

Like their previous games. They showcased BG3 at the first independent showcase hosted by kinda funny. They literally have independent on their Twitter bio

Idk what this nikka is on, tbh.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Touche

I still don't consider them a indie studio. 400+ is a fairly large team. They're making AAA games now.

:manny:
...If Dylan's top 5 is Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan and Dylan... does that make Dylan top 5 to everyone else?
Saying something and being something are different.

That said, most studios are technically independent. Size isn't a signifier of independence at all. De Jure independence is real.
However, most studios of a certain size are De Facto non-indie. Because they rely on platform-makers to remain solvent. The second you can't pay all your bills and staff unless that check clears from Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo/EA... you aren't independent anymore.

You're a kept commodity. A trophy wife.

It's like IG girls talmbout their independence and 'getting it on my own' while having sugardaddies. Can't say you pay all your own bills if you paying it with money someone else gives you to keep your lights on :yeshrug: And most these 'indie' studios now have businessdaddies.
Funny you say that. Larian's sugardaddy is Tencent(Like one of the biggest chinese companies, that got hands in a lot of other stuff). Tencent owns 30% of Larian. Sven/his wife owns the rest though.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Funny you say that. Larian's sugardaddy is Tencent(Like one of the biggest chinese companies, that got hands in a lot of other stuff). Tencent owns 30% of Larian. Sven/his wife owns the rest though.
Tencent: the Joe Jackson of Business Daddies :mjlol:

...or is that Take2?

(EA is Marvin Gay Sr., judging by how Bioware looking lately)

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I'm sure plenty of independent studios get outside funding from a loan or investment

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
larian is an independent studio because they have majority ownership of it. It’s that simple, the size doesn’t matter.

even if they had a major publisher they’d still be independent.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I don’t consider a team of 400+ an indie. I look at team like supergiant who has somewhere around 30 employees an indie

But yea do you
Jumping into the convo late, but it is strange to call Larian "independent" in a video game context, particularly when they have investments from Tencent and elsewhere.
sorry,, we had a previous thread where we were told that doesn’t count.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Xbox is skipable if it comes down to it. You can’t have special demands and a minimal install base.
I feel like games would have been skipping the box if it was skipable.

Maybe that was the threat this go around.

Overall I don't really care either way, but I think it's impressive that MS is trying to stick to something that really doesn't benefit them monetarily at all and not blatantly renege like on the many things sony has said with the PS5 starting with "we believe in generations"

Sony Stan's was mad at MS for saying they would support cross generation for 2-3 years and that's how MS was holding back current gen, now it's the series s, next it'll be series x

:mjlol:

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
I pray for these developers on the hard times Microsoft and the XSS is putting on them

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
these developers are just soft. I could only imagine the shyt they’d have said when you had to release madden on Xbox, PlayStation and GameCube :pachaha: