King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
Some things I think that shock people:

•how many Hispanics are in Green Bay and Salt Lake

•I think people assume New York is blacker than it actually is or that we outnumber Hispanics there (we don't)

•the United States being almost 6% Asian is a bit of a surprise because if you're used to being in Western cities you could believe it's higher for the US as a whole; whereas there are many places in the interior Midwest and South where you rarely see Asians. Asians tend to cluster in large cities on both coasts

•I think most people think the US is whiter and blacker than it actually is
This is true. However, many Hispanics in NYC are Afro-Latino, especially many Dominicans and a few Puerto Ricans. Also, some Panamanians.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I agree, I'll post metro area stats next. Metro matters because cities don't have forcefield around them that prevent non-residents from enjoying them; really a city's growth and health is largely driven because of the ability of the surrounding locales to support them...

Places like Atlanta are super diverse in its suburbs, but not in the city proper. Places like LA have more black people living in the surrounding than in the city proper...

Also, I think people should realize that volume matters as much as percentages when framed in context. A recent thread someone was frying LA for only being 8% black, bit that's 300,000 black people. Compared to Boston, which itself is only 20% black, but while that is 2½ times more of us as a percentage, 20% black in Boston is 130,000...

So it's still way fewer black people in Boston, if you flipped percentages, 8% black in Boston would be around 52k and 20% black in LA would be 780,000. The bigger a city is, the more raw number/volume is more relevant than the percentage, or at the very least, as relevant. The percentage matters more the smaller a city is...

Using that same logic there’s also way more white people that live in LA compared to Boston. LA has 5x the population of Boston, so if you’re going off sheer volume they’re almost always going to have more. The same way technically more Black people live in NYC than Detroit. That’s why percentages are brought up, because using volume isn’t a one to one comparison.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Using that same logic there’s also way more white people that live in LA compared to Boston. LA has 5x the population of Boston, so if you’re going off sheer volume they’re almost always going to have more. The same way technically more Black people live in NYC than Detroit. That’s why percentages are brought up, because using volume isn’t a one to one comparison.

This is like when NBA audiences and NFL audiences are brought up here.... You can name any demographic, in sheer volume the NFL has "more" fans of every single demographic there is because the NFL is way more popular than the NBA...

But if you look at percentages then the NBA has a lesser amount of white fans.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Mexicans almost double the number of anyone else in Dallas and Houston. I'd say that's pretty accurate.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
i think the census has some sort of policy where if people check the “i am hispanic/latino” box, it stops considering them as members of other racial and ethnic groups. i remember it was an issue when i was in college because it came up when people were trying to apply for financial aid. so it could be underrepresenting other racial groups in cities with a high latino population
These are Non-Hispanic counts, so the racial numbers are the non-Hispanic numbers. In almost any major city with a large Hispanic population, the black and white percentages are going up if it's Hispanic populations are included...
Is this inspired by the Celtics thread? It ain't gonna stop posters hating on the Celtics... GOATs will always have their detractors :pachaha:
Yeah that's what inspired this thread. I wanted to see what all major league cities looked like stacked next to each other...
This is true. However, many Hispanics in NYC are Afro-Latino, especially many Dominicans and a few Puerto Ricans. Also, some Panamanians.
💯 and this is true for most large cities with big Hispanic populations...
I agree with this too! I just think if someone says this city is blacker than that city, you gotta use the proper context...

I've been to Boston so I know there's mad black people there. But I've also lived in and been in LA many times otherwise and have never felt I was around a blacker city when I was in Boston----->especially because I be in South Central...

O.iatlhawksfan

Devoted Joel Embiid hater
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
New Orleans will be a majority white city within the next 10 years they’re doing everything they can to push the minorities out

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
Volume means nothing when determining the “blackness” of a city’s cuktire

There are more black people overall in New York and Los Angeles but you’ll look goofy as hell saying either city is blacker than Detroit,Memphis or Baltimore.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

There are more black people overall in New York and Los Angeles but you’ll look goofy as hell saying either city is blacker than Detroit,Memphis or Baltimore.

In another thread posters was sayin L.A. is "blacker" than Boston and it's simply not true... it's only true in volume as you said

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I ain’t know it was that many migos in Sacramento. @murksiderock why do you find Baltimore and Memphis to be wack cities?
Sacramento is in California, there's migos everywhere 🤣

I went to 8th grade in Memphis many years ago (2002-03 school year) and went back to visit several times. I guess calling Memphis "wack" is too strong but it's not my style of city. Too hot, too many bugs, too country, too impoverished. There's a ton of corruption in city politics and a hidden racism there that people don't talk about because the city is over 60% black...

Memphis does have strengths though. I havent been back in 7 years but I'll always have love for Memphis, I would never live there again though...

All those black people in NY and LA have made permanent impressions on the cultures of those cities...

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
These are Non-Hispanic counts, so the racial numbers are the non-Hispanic numbers. In almost any major city with a large Hispanic population, the black and white percentages are going up if it's Hispanic populations are included...

Yeah that's what inspired this thread. I wanted to see what all major league cities looked like stacked next to each other...

💯 and this is true for most large cities with big Hispanic populations...

I agree with this too! I just think if someone says this city is blacker than that city, you gotta use the proper context...

I've been to Boston so I know there's mad black people there. But I've also lived in and been in LA many times otherwise and have never felt I was around a blacker city when I was in Boston----->especially because I be in South Central...

The reality is that 90% of LA is cacs, Latinos and Asians. The demographics of South Central aren’t representative of LA as a whole, the same way that Roxbury & Dorchester aren’t representative of Boston as a whole.

Neither are Black cities, Black LA is just more significant in media representation and as a result the culture has been exported basically globally