Dee Barnes speaks. "me and the other women Dr. Dre beat up."

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
My life changed that night. I suffer from horrific migraines that started only after the attack. I love Dre’s song Keep Their Heads Ringin—it has a particularly deep meaning to me. When I get migraines, my head does ring and it hurts, exactly in the same spot every time where he smashed my head against the wall.

:deadmanny::deadrose::dead:

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
:leon:

I still think they should have included it in the movie though. :yeshrug:

If they'd included it, I think the whole film from that point forward would've had to been centered around domestic violence. Folks would've been mad either way, because of the trajectory of Dre's career after the incident. People would want the movie to end with Dre getting some sort of karma payback, even though none of the sort happened immediately after the Dee Barnes incident.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
While I think its sad what happened to her.

While I think it should have been in the movie.

While I think its a great read.

I think she sort of double talks in the piece.

At the beginning of the article.

That must have been how it looked as Dr. Dre straddled me and beat me mercilessly on the floor of the women’s restroom at the Po Na Na Souk nightclub in 1991.

That event isn’t depicted in Straight Outta Compton, but I don’t think it should have been, either. The truth is too ugly for a general audience. I didn’t want to see a depiction of me getting beat up, just like I didn’t want to see a depiction of Dre beating up Michel’le, his one-time girlfriend who recently summed up their relationship this way: “I was just a quiet girlfriend who got beat on and told to sit down and shut up.”

At the end of the article

In 1990, at a Grammys party in front of an A-List crowd, Dr. Dre assaulted Tairrie B. This was a year before my assault. In an interview, F. Gary Gray said these were considered “side stories” and not important to the narrative.

If that’s the case, it’s too bad for the movie and it’s too bad for its audience. Straight Outta Compton transforms N.W.A. from the world’s most dangerous rap group to the world’s most diluted rap group. In rap, authenticity matters, and gangsta rap has always pushed boundaries beyond what’s comfortable with hardcore rhymes that are supposed to present accounts of the street’s harsh realities (though N.W.A. shared plenty of fantasies, as well). The biggest problem with Straight Outta Compton is that it ignores several of N.W.A.’s own harsh realities. That’s not gangsta, it’s not personal, it’s just business. Try as they might, too much of N.W.A.’s storyain’t that kinda shyt you can sweep under no rug. You know?
\

I know she mentions "allude to it"

But I think that really wouldnt have worked in the film. Either they had to show it completely or people would have complained about it being downplayed.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
there are a lot of contrarian "issues" popping up around this movie, but dre being able to erase his past is pure bullshyt. dee has a right to speak up, she's spoken out about this before, but of course it's going to come up now that there is a film revisiting the era that this happened in. she'd look stupid writing this article in 2010 when no one is discussing the past, but with SOC, we are discussing that exact era and revisiting these men from back then. the way yall are dismissing the victim is ridiculous.

MVike28

right around the ACC
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
there are a lot of contrarian "issues" popping up around this movie, but dre being able to erase his past is pure bullshyt. dee has a right to speak up, she's spoken out about this before, but of course it's going to come up now that there is a film revisiting the era that this happened in. she'd look stupid writing this article in 2010 when no one is discussing the past, but with SOC, we are discussing that exact era and revisiting these men from back then. the way yall are dismissing the victim is ridiculous.
The dudes doing the dismissing are fukkboys who are misogynists and quickly go to the white knight accusation.

Forget the fact they got sisters and mothers and disrespect them by doing so.

Some not all but some nikkas ain't shyt.

:scust:

Young/Nacho\Drawz

...come on let's picture the possibility...
Daps
Never knew this. :dwillhuh:

1391480183219455914.jpg

That’s right. F. Gary Gray, the man whose film made $60 million last weekend as it erased my attack from history, was also behind the camera to film the moment that launched that very attack. He was my cameraman for Pump It Up!

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC

I read the piece and it was done well in my opinion. It was more about Dee Barnes watching the film and seeing how they would portray it, if at all. She was pretty fair and didn't seem bitter at all, but she just keeping shyt real about how fukked her life has been. She even said they shouldn't have shown it, but they should have still somehow acknowledge Dre's actions against women in the movie in some form. It's fukked up that her whole life got ruined for some shyt she didn't have nothing to do with. Like she got her ass whooped is one thing, but the worst part is she was blackballed from the industry, when she wasn't even the person that created the situation between Cube & NWA. She tried to get them to not use the footage.

Dre's a fukk boy for not making the shyt right by at least apologizing and letting her live after he knew the full truth.