Declining Attention Span for New TV shows and Movies

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Agreed, but at the same time they're not making fire shows and movies like they used to. Extreme rainbow and out of the box inclusion or political content, bad remakes, squeals that nobody wanted, the same ole same ole- that doesn't focus on the story or plot anymore. A few shows or movies will hit their mark and come with that heat, but that's far and few in between these days.

are you watching Industry? Season 3 To me, that is art on the highest level. Partly it's just that time in my life, of being late 30's, like if I was 14 or 23 or 55, the show wouldn't be as good to me. so watching it live, just living that moment...I watch each new episode 3X and see new things every time.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
I just don't as much of it as I used to.

I can watch a YT video for 2-4 hours no problem. Economics, History, Mathematics, Politics, Cooking, Reviews of TV Shows and Movies

But I'm having a hard time with actual Shows and Movies.

Has your attention span changed over the years?
Only at movie theater I can. But even then I still check my phone for no damn reason.

I remember I used to know/remember every character name backstory etc..

now These shyts just background audio for me 98% of the time smh

also same with me regarding YT. I can watch a 3 vid and not be bored or distracted to a degree

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
are you watching Industry? Season 3 To me, that is art on the highest level. Partly it's just that time in my life, of being late 30's, like if I was 14 or 23 or 55, the show wouldn't be as good to me. so watching it live, just living that moment...I watch each new episode 3X and see new things every time.
Its on my list to check out

Cloutius Maximus

with the aid of the Funk...
Daps
Reppin
Altadena, California
I'm more so overwhelmed by choice. Choice paralysis

I got an endless queue of movies, tv shows, anime, books, music :damn:

should I watch Rebel Ridge, or Alien 3? Or finish my Neon Genesis Evangelion watch. or read this book on the Islamic Golden Age. or listen to new music, or old music maybe?

gotta learn to just pick something and jump in

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
a lot of these tv shows and movies.... are ass. Fiction has been on the decline in the last decade. either the shyt is formulaic AF or its a straight rehash of some shyt you've seen before. Then these jerks get decent budgets to do shyt, but skim off it so a good portion doesnt even go into the actual production.

LDC

Rookie
Daps
I barely watch TV or movies anymore and I used to go to the movies at least once a week. I put a movie on now and I either get distracted or I'm šŸ˜“ in ten minutes. With TV shows, the problem for me is that it's too many of them and since there's usually football/baseball/basketball on that I'm watching, that means now I gotta dedicate hours just to catch up on episodes of ______ that I just never start. Next thing you know, it's 4 seasons in. I can watch something I've seen 100 times with no problem tho.

I started watching The Bear a few weeks ago cause I figured it's easier since the eps are 30 mins max and I got to episode 5. It's cool but I haven't been back to it since. Just wasting money for years on these subscriptions...but I can't pull the plug.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Agreed, but at the same time they're not making fire shows and movies like they used to. Extreme rainbow and out of the box inclusion or political content, bad remakes, squeals that nobody wanted, the same ole same ole- that doesn't focus on the story or plot anymore. A few shows or movies will hit their mark and come with that heat, but that's far and few in between these days.
Yea we can talk about attention spans being short and distractions but the root of the problem is the quality has gone down. Creativity is at an all time low and Hollywood is obsessed with pandering to the vocal minority for some weird reason.

Movies and shows are railroaded with unnecessary agendas and politics. Itā€™s not that I canā€™t watch a movie no more itā€™s that I donā€™t want to because they are bullshyt

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
I think you just nailed it in your OP, it's not that you have problems with attention.
It's probably that the subject matter in contemporary film and television fail to hold your interest.

Like try to picture your ideal movie or tv series.

Pinpoint what it would take it to completely hold your interest.
What would the subject matter be? where would it be set?, who are the stars?, and how long is the runtime?

Is the YouTube content you consume more novel compared to movies and television?

Last edited:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The content argument is a good one in theory, and probably a contributor, but the idea that all of us have lived through the smart phone, Facebook, Tik Tok, Instagram, without any residual and ongoing impact on our attention span is not reasonable.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I just don't as much of it as I used to.

I can watch a YT video for 2-4 hours no problem. Economics, History, Mathematics, Politics, Cooking, Reviews of TV Shows and Movies

But I'm having a hard time with actual Shows and Movies.

Has your attention span changed over the years?

I hear this, I'm less forgiving of TV shows and movies now