Declining Attention Span for New TV shows and Movies

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
I'd say this is a problem for the youngest gen (tik tok gen or whatever you want to call them)

I'd also say, folks who are constantly on their phone/tablet struggle with this

Put the phone away for a significant amount of time everyday and exercise your brain with different activities like reading, completing puzzles, etc.

That should help with improving your attention span

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Same happened to me. I don't know if it's some Covid thing or if YouTube conditions you to watch content in small bites or not. But I used to be a BIG movie buff. I'd watch movies all the time especially on the weekends. I hardly ever have the patience to sit through movies anymore. I even ended up canceling all my premium channels.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
it's a generational impact of technology/phones/social media, habits being crystalized over years. The phrase I liked was 'your attention is being fracked'. and reading about how you can't really do more than one thing at once you just do multiple things rapidly, which fukks your focus up.

each iteration of social media is faster and faster, so our spans are going that same direction. Read something around 2020 that said like most millennials have at least 2 screens at any given moment. And most Gen Z have as many as 5.

Not having social media, I am a little better. Like I try to focus on one thing at a time. Don't text and walk. Don't text and talk on the phone. Even 50% reducing AirPods when I am walking has helped. instead of walking around on the phone, or listening to Yo Gotti or 1992 Jodeci, I just look at the trees. Listen to the world. It's calming.

For movies and tv, only watch things you really want to watch. A lot of NetFlix and streaming content are "second screen" movies, meaning they full expect people to be on their phones. Watch in theaters helps too.

but yeah around 2019 I noticed it myself, opening one tab, and then another, reading half an article and then another. Getting into an elevator and then pulling out my phone, to what? read for 13 seconds? so I tried to stop all those habits. I notice in my friends and people too, like they can't focus on a single subject for more than about 45 seconds.

Last edited:

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
Attention spans have been declining for a good while, but media itself is also changed, especially since the pandemic. Any kind of disruption is going to lead to people tuning out and looking somewhere else. Two-three year gaps in between tv seasons, 4-5+ yr gaps for movie sequels, authors taking however long in between books...add in the odd writer/actor strike and things will end up all over the place.

Being outside is always on schedule.:blessed:

Spiider

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I have the opposite problem of watching way too much TV. I kind of want to stop watching it altogether

Daps
OP I don’t mind watching YouTube videos

I have a rotation of old shows I watch like they’re new

I fukk with the new stuff I fukk with

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
Same. I only watch a few shows now (Invincible, The Boys, Gen V) but nothing else. I haven't had cable in over 6 years now. Mostly everything I watch is on Youtube. And it's not like it's short content. It's generally more than 10 minutes each, but it's just much more interesting to me.

I also hate ads.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I’m glad I never got into YT videos. TikTok has absolutely made attention spans dwindle a lot.

Smartphones also played a huge factor in this. Why pay attention to a movie when you can get quick mindless videos at the swipe of a phone.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
I browse my phone until I hear something significant happening.

Part of the problem :yeshrug:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I’m glad I never got into YT videos. TikTok has absolutely made attention spans dwindle a lot.

Smartphones also played a huge factor in this. Why pay attention to a movie when you can get quick mindless videos at the swipe of a phone.

For me the draw of Youtube isn't 8-10 minute videos - it's hours on topics I care about, done in detail.

"The origins of the caste system in India?...Tell me more..."

"Parallels between Vietnamese resistance and the Palestinians...Sign me up"

Meanwhile, I like anime but I couldn't watch The Boy and The Heron to save my life...

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
For me the draw of Youtube isn't 8-10 minute videos - it's hours on topics I care about, done in detail.

"The origins of the caste system in India?...Tell me more..."

"Parallels between Vietnamese resistance and the Palestinians...Sign me up"

Meanwhile, I like anime but I couldn't watch The Boy and The Heron to save my life...
There’s so just so much shyt out there to look at. But tv and movies were a big part of my life, so I’ll never stop watching, I like a good documentary, and sometimes PBS has some good stuff.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I'd say this is a problem for the youngest gen (tik tok gen or whatever you want to call them)

I'd also say, folks who are constantly on their phone/tablet struggle with this

Put the phone away for a significant amount of time everyday and exercise your brain with different activities like reading, completing puzzles, etc.

That should help with improving your attention span
Agreed, but at the same time they're not making fire shows and movies like they used to. Extreme rainbow and out of the box inclusion or political content, bad remakes, squeals that nobody wanted, the same ole same ole- that doesn't focus on the story or plot anymore. A few shows or movies will hit their mark and come with that heat, but that's far and few in between these days.