Debbie Allen talking about re-making "A Different World"...

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
^This.

I didnt know she fell off like this

Jasmine-Guy-Fine-Art-Plus-Fashion.jpg

:damn: to think the accent would make it THAT MUCH worse :why:

i think the show should be redone though... or somethin along its line. we need somethin PRO-BLACK. not "pro black"... somebody mentioned tyler perry. just compare his shows to a different world. we aint had some real pro black shyt in nearly 20 years :whew:

Metta World Movement

Peace and love...to all!!
Daps
:snoop: Why can't anyone come up with a good ORIGINAL black show now?

People in the 70s, 80s and 90s had no problem doing that.....what's with all this remaking shyt?

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
^This.

I didnt know she fell off like this

Jasmine-Guy-Fine-Art-Plus-Fashion.jpg

:pachaha:

But seriously, I think it's sad that over two decades there hasn't been another A Different World type caliber show. That show made my elementary self excited for the future prospect of college. It was groundbreaking. :wow::to:

Rufus Dufus

All Star
Daps
Just Blaze talking about getting dissed by Jasmine Guy at a club.:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

dabestkeptsecret

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
jerz
I think the last show/movie that showed real college life was drumline IMO. And that movie was prob 10 years ago. I think the premise is great but the biggest thing to focus on are the characters.
I think the last quality black shows on tv was girlfriends and the game (before the bet move). I think the writers of those shows could come up with black characters that aren't typical Tyler perry stuff

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
Do it.

A Different World influenced a lot of Black kids back in the day to go to college, especially HBCUs. Maybe it could do the same now. :manny:

Yep.

Not only that...what's so wrong with letting these young kids watch POSITIVE portrayals of themselves on TV? Like, are we seriously going to say this is a bad idea, then continue to endorse shows like "Basketball Wives" or "Love & Hip-Hop Atlanta"? :childplease: :rudy: :mjpls:

DaylitoJames

#SnitchGang Elite
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sneak Nation
Today's audience don't want to see a show about youth going to school wanting to learn and make a difference in the world. Sadly we are stuck in the "reality tv" era with ignorant yelling bama rich black folks that's angry for no reason. The original Different World came on tv at the right time, right place, and the right audience, plus they had The Cosby Show to help with viewship. Today's audience would never watch the re-make unless it was called "Tyler Perry's Different World of c00nery" and all of the people who like the original show that would watch the new show for support wouldn't be enough to garner enough ratings to get more than one season made... sad really.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The show inspired me to go to college.

My suggestion would be to try to bring it to TBS and show it right after a Tyler Perry show. I think people would watch it regardless, but it wouldn't hurt to piggyback off of Tyler Perry's success on that network.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
I think the last show/movie that showed real college life was drumline IMO. And that movie was prob 10 years ago. I think the premise is great but the biggest thing to focus on are the characters.
I think the last quality black shows on tv was girlfriends and the game (before the bet move). I think the writers of those shows could come up with black characters that aren't typical Tyler perry stuff

Stomp The Yard was good, even though it was basically a Drumline remake and some of those step sequences were a little over-the-top on some :usure: shyt.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
nikkas still mad at Tyler Perry bcuz nobody else is doing NOTHING....black directors need to get in the game,the ones that are just bite his style so they can too buy an island....that ain't his fault...far as different world I'm sick of people remaking everything but a show in the same vein would be cool....people gon compare it to different world if u call it a remake and that can backfire sumtimes as much as it can help.

Get me a afrocentric Freddy type before she sold out,and a down chick like Lena James on the show and I'm in Heaven...I remember trying real hard in school til I found out there wuz no real Hillman...what wuz the damn point:snoop:

YBE

Banned
Daps
nikkas still mad at Tyler Perry bcuz nobody else is doing NOTHING....black directors need to get in the game,the ones that are just bite his style so they can too buy an island....that ain't his fault...far as different world I'm sick of people remaking everything but a show in the same vein would be cool....people gon compare it to different world if u call it a remake and that can backfire sumtimes as much as it can help.

Get me a afrocentric Freddy type before she sold out,and a down chick like Lena James on the show and I'm in Heaven...I remember trying real hard in school til I found out there wuz no real Hillman...what wuz the damn point:snoop:

Hillman was inspired by Hampton & Howard.

YBE

Banned
Daps
I thought it was inspired by Morehouse and Spelman

Show was filmed in Atlanta. The college was located in Virginia though, like Hampton. And Debbie Allen went to Howard, along with her sister Phylicia. Kinda hard to direct a black college show & not include experiences from your own alma mater. Im sure, she grabbed little things from every school, I just think it was mostly based on Hampton, then Howard.