Death Wish 2 was racist as fukk

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, the 70s and 80s were rough as hell in America......
Man Cali has some :demonic: Serial killers...that time period was just bad all around with serial killers

Norris and Bittaker are the worst...read up on them at your own risk :mjcry: they would kidnap torture,rape girls...it's a transcript from the tape they recorded while torturing their last victim and : :damn:

Then that scumbag Nightstalker, Hillside stranglers,Ted Bundy,Green River Killer,Gacey,the guy who killed those black boys in ATL... I know i'm missing more too:francis:

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
That shyt was over the top looking back and worse than I thought. I remember people saying it was brutal and I had only seen the cut version, but when I saw the real uncut version...:merchant:

There's literally no way you could show that in a movie today.

And yeah, the animalistic and crazy way the black criminals were portrayed was no accident either. The KKK might as well have directed that shyt.

Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps
these white man heros movies in the 80s and early 90s where black men were killed by the dozens and portrayed as savages were made so display their masculinity after the 60/70s black exploitation displayed them as weak. the 80s were like a come back for white men. Especially after all the movements that happened, hippies, black power, feminism etc.

419scam

The Super Duper
Daps
3rd one a classic, like a sidescroller video game :russ:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It's not as if the series made a huge shift from explicitly endorsing vigilantism against the dangerous hoods of New York in the first movie to the more blatant racism of the series afterward, though. The seeds were already there, they just needed to be cultivated.

Death Wish ultimately suffers from the same problem the Rambo series has: in attempting to make a film that was palatable to action film moviegoers of the 1970s and 1980s, the filmmakers ripped the fundamental critiques the source material made about American society (moreso in the sequels than in the initial installments, but it's there throughout). When you do that, you lose the context in which the violence is occurring (the violence of 1970s NYC and right-wing apocalyptic fantasies about 1970s NYC in the case of Death Wish; the aftermath of the Vietnam War and how poorly returning vets were treated in light of how we entered into and conducted said war in the case of First Blood and the Rambo sequels). Thus, you get shyt like Death Wish III and Rambo III.

(I can't believe this thread isn't about Death Wish III. One of the most blatantly racist and classist big-budget movies I've ever seen.)

Word. Death wish at least questioned or seemed to question whether being a vigilante is the right thing to do and showed the potential consequences from it. And yeah much like Rambo, the sequels all become wish fulfillment. Rambo 2 is basically rewriting the Vietnam war. :russ:

shyt is insane

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Maybe the sequel themes were in plans all along, and the first flicks are the setup

Nah. It’s based on a book. Death sentence, the James wan flick with Kevin bacon, is more indicative of what the author intended and what he was going for.

The sequels were produced by canon films and if you know your film history, you know the company that brought you masters of the universe shouldn’t make an attempt at social commentary. They wanted to make cheap action movies and the director just decided to lean into the fears behind white flight.

There’s a canon documentary on Netflix that goes into the whole backstory of the death wish sequels.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
All the Death Wishes are great lazy Saturday watches

giphy.gif

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
Man Cali has some :demonic: Serial killers...that time period was just bad all around with serial killers

Norris and Bittaker are the worst...read up on them at your own risk :mjcry: they would kidnap torture,rape girls...it's a transcript from the tape they recorded while torturing their last victim and : :damn:

Then that scumbag Nightstalker, Hillside stranglers,Ted Bundy,Green River Killer,Gacey,the guy who killed those black boys in ATL... I know i'm missing more too:francis:
Leonard Lake & Charles Ng :merchant:

mrfortune

All Star
Daps
why they got them nikkas making monkey noises and pulling all types of c00n ass faces in the movie. :gucci:

They got two cacs in the gang but still. The black dudes was portrayed on some Birth of a Nation shyt. Then the daughter gets raped a second time while the black dudes standing around grabbing they dikks.
Then that uncut version of them gang raping that maid was :picard: shyt was worse than that irreversible flick.

fukk that cac who made the movie and Fishburne for being a part of that shyt :camby:
idk if i wanna see if its worse then irreversible. imagine i seen that movie while chilling with two women smh